Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times

Advertisements

Being a Columbia guy, I'd still LOVE to see Greenville get not only the tallest in the city but the tallest in the state. I think Greenville with the type of city it is, the businesses it attracts due to the sprawling city is BOUND to build something of good height within the decade or sooner... Just my opinion, but I see Greenville claiming a states tallest before Columbia builds another 20+ story building. Columbia will be set back for a good while due to their meagre 77%(ish) occupancy rate.

I think Greenville has built some good density downtown with the 5-15 story buildings and hopefully a build upwards of say 400 feet would be awesome. And like redcliffe stated above, phase III is still in the works and could very well be something to get excited about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 AM

186 posts, read 358,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I sure as hell HOPE so! I want to be able to see downtown from I-85, dammit! We are a great city/area, and there's precious little to show for it in a traditional "city" sense.

I would so much rather see fewer, but larger office buildings than the piddly here & there little buildings that we seem to have throughout the entire area.
Amen. Brilliantly stated. Outstanding. You rock. <insert your own praise here because I'm running out.> I could not agree more.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:27 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Why such an obsession with "size" up in Gville

Go taller. Until we can see Gville from the coast!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds good to me!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Once the economy turns around, I believe there will be developers looking to build something taller and more modern in Greenville. Something with a 4-5 star hotel included, office, living and retail space.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
The economy in Greenville is already turning.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Being a Columbia guy, I'd still LOVE to see Greenville get not only the tallest in the city but the tallest in the state. I think Greenville with the type of city it is, the businesses it attracts due to the sprawling city is BOUND to build something of good height within the decade or sooner... Just my opinion, but I see Greenville claiming a states tallest before Columbia builds another 20+ story building. Columbia will be set back for a good while due to their meagre 77%(ish) occupancy rate.

I think Greenville has built some good density downtown with the 5-15 story buildings and hopefully a build upwards of say 400 feet would be awesome. And like redcliffe stated above, phase III is still in the works and could very well be something to get excited about.
Just to clarify your number, Columbia's vacancy rate is largely the result of Class C space. The vacant Palmetto Center is under review for housing, taking that off the market will push the city to much better rates. The vacancy rate for class A, the rate that is more relevant, is much much lower than your number suggests. Just looking at your stat in a silo is a little misleading. Besides, Columbia has completed and filled three Highrise towers in recent years.

As for having the tallest building in SC, who cares. Building a 30 story building just to be the tallest is not the best use of money unless the price per sq foot dictates going higher. I can't imagine rental rates in Greenville would be high enough to support NOI numbers required by a 400 foot building (unless Hughes gets more tax credits to make the numbers work via subsidy). But, if someone has an ego, go for it. Cities like Raleigh grow at very fast rates and do not have too many tall structures. Trying to build the tallest building reminds me of folks taking out interest only loans a few years back so they can have the largest house.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:36 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
You do realize that there are trees even in New York City?

Plus there is a setback zoning for Main Street so trees will ALWAYS be growing on Main. The only way it won't is if the zoning is changed.
Yes, I have actually been to New York City. Have you? I have no desire for Greenville to be like that.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
Yes, I have actually been to New York City. Have you? I have no desire for Greenville to be like that.
No desire for a dense, diverse city with living arrangements for wide types of people?

Yes, I've been there. My point being that even in the most urban environment, there can still be trees and nice public spaces. Greenville will never be like NYC but even if you push it to extremes, you will have trees...

Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Yes, Greenville is ready for something taller than 301 North Main Street. I see towers with 40 or 50 floors. The City of Greenville must be more encouraging for vertical growth. Developers can still fill up thousands of square feet with residences, lodging, dining, businesses and offices with the use of more floors, which creates more usable space. It is time to think above usable small and mid-rise buildings.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Just to clarify your number, Columbia's vacancy rate is largely the result of Class C space. The vacant Palmetto Center is under review for housing, taking that off the market will push the city to much better rates. The vacancy rate for class A, the rate that is more relevant, is much much lower than your number suggests. Just looking at your stat in a silo is a little misleading. Besides, Columbia has completed and filled three Highrise towers in recent years.

As for having the tallest building in SC, who cares. Building a 30 story building just to be the tallest is not the best use of money unless the price per sq foot dictates going higher. I can't imagine rental rates in Greenville would be high enough to support NOI numbers required by a 400 foot building (unless Hughes gets more tax credits to make the numbers work via subsidy). But, if someone has an ego, go for it. Cities like Raleigh grow at very fast rates and do not have too many tall structures. Trying to build the tallest building reminds me of folks taking out interest only loans a few years back so they can have the largest house.
I'm no expert in this by any means- I got my 77% vacancy rate from an article in The State newspaper from not too terribly long ago and have heard/read opinions that Columbia isn't bound to have a high-rise in the short term future- didn't mean to misinform, thanks for clarifying.

And good point with Raleigh- I've often wondered why they havent built that "dominant" tall high-rise with the extreme growth they've had lately.

And no doubt, if the financial aspect of it works out and someone seeks to crown Greenville as the tallest in the state then go for it. Also, I believe some of us do care to see a significant high-rise and especially a tallest in the state- take a look at this: GREENVILLE, SC | Projects & Construction - SkyscraperCity (g-man430)

Keep in mind the states tallest is listed at 349 ft.

Anyone remember the proposed Tower at Falls and Broad? Don't know if the listed height of 350 ft. was just a wishful and amateur estimate but hey, either it's a coincidence or maybe someone does care enough to have the tallest in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area