Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:53 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I'm no expert in this by any means- I got my 77% vacancy rate from an article in The State newspaper from not too terribly long ago and have heard/read opinions that Columbia isn't bound to have a high-rise in the short term future- didn't mean to misinform, thanks for clarifying.

And good point with Raleigh- I've often wondered why they havent built that "dominant" tall high-rise with the extreme growth they've had lately.

And no doubt, if the financial aspect of it works out and someone seeks to crown Greenville as the tallest in the state then go for it. Also, I believe some of us do care to see a significant high-rise and especially a tallest in the state- take a look at this: GREENVILLE, SC | Projects & Construction - SkyscraperCity (g-man430)

Keep in mind the states tallest is listed at 349 ft.

Anyone remember the proposed Tower at Falls and Broad? Don't know if the listed height of 350 ft. was just a wishful and amateur estimate but hey, either it's a coincidence or maybe someone does care enough to have the tallest in Greenville.
Look at how much more awesome Main at McBee was supposed to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 05:44 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Yes, Greenville is ready for something taller than 301 North Main Street. I see towers with 40 or 50 floors. The City of Greenville must be more encouraging for vertical growth. Developers can still fill up thousands of square feet with residences, lodging, dining, businesses and offices with the use of more floors, which creates more usable space. It is time to think above usable small and mid-rise buildings.
I completely agree! OK, I'd be for some kind of restriction for buildings above a certain height to be X blocks off Main St., but downtown as a whole needs more verticality to properly represent the diversity and intensity of economic activity in this region that downtown is Greenville the anchor of!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:43 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I'm no expert in this by any means- I got my 77% vacancy rate from an article in The State newspaper from not too terribly long ago and have heard/read opinions that Columbia isn't bound to have a high-rise in the short term future- didn't mean to misinform, thanks for clarifying.

And good point with Raleigh- I've often wondered why they havent built that "dominant" tall high-rise with the extreme growth they've had lately.

And no doubt, if the financial aspect of it works out and someone seeks to crown Greenville as the tallest in the state then go for it. Also, I believe some of us do care to see a significant high-rise and especially a tallest in the state- take a look at this: GREENVILLE, SC | Projects & Construction - SkyscraperCity (g-man430)

Keep in mind the states tallest is listed at 349 ft.

Anyone remember the proposed Tower at Falls and Broad? Don't know if the
listed height of 350 ft. was just a wishful and amateur estimate but hey, either
it's a coincidence or maybe someone does care enough to have the
tallest in Greenville.
You hear the same talk in Charlotte about no office towers on the horizon, and we have a healthy vacancy rate and decent absorption rates. It is the nature of the industry to be a little pessimistic in this environment. But, Working in Columbia's favor for a new tower is Aflac's 1,000 downtown workers. Not sure if they want the expense of a Highrise but, 1,000 folks fills a lot of space. And, that is what is needed to get a tower off the ground. If The Palmetto Center gets resolved, that will take a lot of questions out of the market. I don't think you will see a 30 story structure in Columbia for a while (don't hink one makes sense in Greenville either) but, something in the 15 story range is not out of the picture.

I am sure someone cares about having the tallest building in Greenville, some in the city want an NFL team as well. However, without assistance via tax
credits or some other vehicle, getting a 40 story building or even a thirty story
building off the ground will require a strong anchor tenant, stronger than
anyone announced in the first two buildings. Maybe Erwin Penland can talk the
group in Boston into paying more than necessary for office space to anchor a
new tower.

Just a general question, who would fill a 40 story tower in Greenville? Assuming the tower would have 15k foot floor plates, the tower would be in the 600k range, about 25% of the current market. With Greenville's historical absorption rates, this could take a decade to fill.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:05 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Just a general question, who would fill a 40 story tower in Greenville? Assuming the tower would have 15k foot floor plates, the tower would be in the 600k range, about 25% of the current market. With Greenville's historical absorption rates, this could take a decade to fill.
Well, obviously anyone currently in the market would create vacancy elsewhere. You would hope that it would be a new tenant for the area. But, if you're just asking for who is big enough, then you might have a company like Fluor mentioned. Heck, it's not even that far fetched to think of companies like Spartanburg's CH2M Hill for one's with a local presence already and the potential to relocate. However, I think it's silly to think that Greenville would build something of that size without another use thrown in (hotel or residential, and of course, retail). However, this whole thread is about speculation for speculation and dreaming's sake, so let's not take this too seriously.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:15 PM

186 posts, read 358,997 times
If you build it, they will come!

(Sorry, I just HAD to.)

An actual "signature tower" would attract tenants. Worrying about who will occupy it is almost moot. Shoot, I'd LOVE to put my tiny biz in a 50th floor office overlooking this beautiful area. Or the 75th floor. And I'm afraid of heights, so it would take me a week to finally look out the window. But remember: Location, location, location!

(RE: other comments in this thread: I'd also like an NFL team, but that's not realistic. Our major colleges in this state outdraw Pro football teams anyway. And did someone ACTUALLY try to compare G-ville to NYC? )

Old 05-18-2012, 12:29 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
You hear the same talk in Charlotte about no office towers on the horizon, and we have a healthy vacancy rate and decent absorption rates. It is the nature of the industry to be a little pessimistic in this environment. But, Working in Columbia's favor for a new tower is Aflac's 1,000 downtown workers. Not sure if they want the expense of a Highrise but, 1,000 folks fills a lot of space. And, that is what is needed to get a tower off the ground. If The Palmetto Center gets resolved, that will take a lot of questions out of the market. I don't think you will see a 30 story structure in Columbia for a while (don't hink one makes sense in Greenville either) but, something in the 15 story range is not out of the picture.

I am sure someone cares about having the tallest building in Greenville, some in the city want an NFL team as well. However, without assistance via tax
credits or some other vehicle, getting a 40 story building or even a thirty story building off the ground will require a strong anchor tenant, stronger than
anyone announced in the first two buildings. Maybe Erwin Penland can talk the group in Boston into paying more than necessary for office space to anchor a
new tower.

Well said. Hardly anyone, anywhere in this country is building office towers on spec. They simply aren't getting financed without a marquee tenant and heavy subsidies for either parking and/or infrastructure. So, no matter how cool it would be (and I think it would be) don't look for a new tallest in Greenville unless Wells Fargo or BOA is moving a division from Charlotte or a corporate HQ relocates.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
There hasn't been a building of significant height (I'm saying 15 or more floors) erected in Greenville for decades. This, while the city/region that it anchors race forward in population and economic growth. There's a logical disconnect there somewhere.

My hometown's skyline (Mobile, AL) beats the pants off Greenville's, yet it's a very blue-collar, economically-challenged area in comparison. With a metro population a fraction of the Upstate's. I just don't get it.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
There hasn't been a building of significant height (I'm saying 15 or more floors) erected in Greenville for decades. This, while the city/region that it anchors race forward in population and economic growth. There's a logical disconnect there somewhere.
But look at what HAS been built. Riverplace in itself is worth more than any single highrise.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailVictory View Post
If you build it, they will come!

(Sorry, I just HAD to.)

An actual "signature tower" would attract tenants. Worrying about who will occupy it is almost moot. Shoot, I'd LOVE to put my tiny biz in a 50th floor office overlooking this beautiful area. Or the 75th floor. And I'm afraid of heights, so it would take me a week to finally look out the window. But remember: Location, location, location!

(RE: other comments in this thread: I'd also like an NFL team, but that's not realistic. Our major colleges in this state outdraw Pro football teams anyway. And did someone ACTUALLY try to compare G-ville to NYC? )
If you can find someone who will finance a $200m+ project that will equal 25% of the current downtown inventory all on spec, let me know. Signature towers in the 30+ story range would have just as impressive rents unless subsidized with tax credits or something.

As for the NFL, I am only repeating what others have said, that Greenville should get an NFL team.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Well said. Hardly anyone, anywhere in this country is building office towers on spec. They simply aren't getting financed without a marquee tenant and heavy subsidies for either parking and/or infrastructure. So, no matter how cool it would be (and I think it would be) don't look for a new tallest in Greenville unless Wells Fargo or BOA is moving a division from Charlotte or a corporate HQ relocates.
Let me say this again. Don't be surprised to hear of phase 3 of One being announced as a signature tower. Hear me now? Lol. In Greenville we are used to making private and public partnerships work. Look at all we've accomplished we the little we have. We create our economy here. That's business, that's leadership, that's civic pride. That's us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area