Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:35 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,012 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago a bear made its way to within less than two miles from Greenville City Hall and had to be tranquilized to get out out of a neighborhood tree. When the dogs start barking late at night I take it more seriously now

I once found a coyote on my front porch many years ago. I've seen foxes around too and plenty of possums. Red hawks have become a regular sight and blue herons and what I think are egrets wading in the water in nearby parks. And of course Canada geese are full time residents now. There are more of all of those around now than when I was a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,059 times
One thing I have never seen since I lived here are raccoons. We actualy had a opossum in are back yard not too long ago. It was a female and was acting kind of funny so I thought at first it might had been sick. But the next day when I went out side she had died. She was trying to give birth and I guess something must had went wrong. Never seen a coyote before but when we lived on Forkshoals use too see bob cats.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,104 times
Yes, I've seen possums and a few raccoons, and snakes.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherinsc26 View Post
One thing I have never seen since I lived here are raccoons. We actualy had a opossum in are back yard not too long ago. It was a female and was acting kind of funny so I thought at first it might had been sick. But the next day when I went out side she had died. She was trying to give birth and I guess something must had went wrong. Never seen a coyote before but when we lived on Forkshoals use too see bob cats.
I've seen some raccoons before. There was actually a dead one a few months ago on the road.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:59 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I've seen some raccoons before. There was actually a dead one a few months ago on the road.

Yeah sad too say they are the only ones I have ever seen lol That and skunks never see nor smell much of them either

Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 PM

Lol I'm fine with not seeing/smelling them.

Too bad the development is killing the wildlife though...

Old 06-05-2008, 05:28 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
A bear crossed the road in front of our car in Asheville, so you know there have to be some in the mountains around Greenville.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Last night there was something in our neighborhood making crazy noises - my husband said it sounded like a woman screaming in labor. It sounded a bit like a coyote but shrieking. We saw a shadow that looked a little like a big fox. It didn't sound like a cat fighting. Any ideas? Do foxes make noises like that? We have a wooded area & creek behind the house, so I'm sure there's all sorts of wildlife back there.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 AM

617 posts, read 2,572,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
A bear crossed the road in front of our car in Asheville, so you know there have to be some in the mountains around Greenville.
Yes, there are definitely bears near us. They have been spotted in the city quite a few times over the last few years.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:04 PM

745 posts, read 2,232,476 times
Skunks live quite happily in the suburbs (or used to). I haven't heard why, but there are definitely a lot less skunks around then years ago- wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area