Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Depends on what you look at, and this is the Greenville forum. Nothing wrong with giving love for your area in it's own forum. There is a forum for Charlotte.
One thing to be proud and another to just be arrogant. I know there is a Charlotte forum, but why is it against the rules to keep up with where I am from? Ya'll seem to think I am from Spartanburg, is this not the right place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I don't understand why anything said about Greenville (opinion, compliment, fact, whatever), you take to be a superlative. If someone says that Greenville has a wonderful park downtown, you for some reason take that as them saying that no other park in the entire world is better than Greenville's. If someone gets excited that Greenville is getting a car sharing program, you can't think it's great for a city of Greenville's size, you go find negative things to respond with. If someone is excited about Greenville rate of growth, you point out how slow it is compared to whichever city is Your's of choice for the day. For someone who whined and complained about others doing something similar, you sure do enjoy it yourself. If you feel threatened by positive opinion or pure speculation and dreaming about Greenville, then you can easily avoid reading this forum all together...
Kudos and points!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I don't understand why anything said about Greenville (opinion, compliment, fact, whatever), you take to be a superlative. If someone says that Greenville has a wonderful park downtown, you for some reason take that as them saying that no other park in the entire world is better than Greenville's. If someone gets excited that Greenville is getting a car sharing program, you can't think it's great for a city of Greenville's size, you go find negative things to respond with. If someone is excited about Greenville rate of growth, you point out how slow it is compared to whichever city is Your's of choice for the day. For someone who whined and complained about others doing something similar, you sure do enjoy it yourself. If you feel threatened by positive opinion or pure speculation and dreaming about Greenville, then you can easily avoid reading this forum all together...
That's nice. Look, I don't feel threatened about anything on this board, never have. But, out of all of the cities that I read about, here and elsewhere, without a doubt, Greenville is the largest self promoting city. And, I don't understand why. Is it to make up for a lack of self confidence? Greenville's Main St area is very very nice, has been since Max Heller started at the Hyatt. Personally, I wish that Charlotte would have preserved some of the older building like you have done on Main. But, you don't seem satisfied unless you are talking about how great Greenville is doing while at the same time pointing out cracks in Columbia sidewalks, taking shots at Charlotte and downplaying Charleston. If anyone disagrees or points out facts that don't tell the same story, you attack with a slight hint of sarcasm. I was just labeled as arrogant by Greenville for that saying a company wants an educated workforce, that's interesting. Unlike the person who you are indirectly comparing me with, I at least stick to facts supported by economics. Are you threatened by facts?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
You are restating what I said, there are many factors that go into site selection. A good example is Certus, Walter Davis is from Greenville. He had a large influence in establishing the company there as much as the acquisition of an upstate bank. Hubbell Lighting has been in the upstate for years, they moved to Greenville from Spartanburg. But, per SEC filings, Fluor Corp is headquartered in Irving Texas, TD Bank US is Headquartered in the northeast (main HQ in Toronto), Synnex is based in Freemont California, and Sempra is based in San Diego. Is Kemet going to make it, their ratios are looking terrible.

Oddly enough, one of the largest industrial recruitment companies in the US is headquartered on South Tryon St in the 50 story Duke Energy Center, Duke Energy. They join 8 other fortune 500 companies headquartered in Charlotte.
Oh, I know. I was referring to any HQ operations from regional to world. Sadly there are no Fortune 500 companies in the entire state of South Carolina. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:52 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,810 times
Quote:
The Charlotte comment was thinking outloud and not an issue until folks started saying that Greenville was every bit as good as Charlotte in landing HQ operations.
No one stated that Greenville was "every bit as good as Charlotte". Look back at page one. You made your "thinking outloud" comment about Charlotte being a good HQ possibility because of its LOCATION. Purely based on location in your comment. Period.

Greenville (the poster) responded that Greenville is just as well positioned-- which can clearly be inferred to be based upon the same criteria-- location ONLY. We have no reason to suspect otherwise, do we? Logically speaking. If they were looking for proximity to the Greer facility, then Greenville IS just as well positioned as Spartanburg, Columbia, Charlotte and EVERY OTHER city within a two hour drive.

Somehow, you took that to mean that everyone in Greenville thinks that Greenville's airport is a hub, that Greenville is growing as fast as everyone in the country, that Greenville is the smartest place in the world, etc. But, here's the problem: NOBODY said ANY of that in this thread. Still, you decided to begin a tirade about how much disadvantaged Greenville is. I don't understand your motive.

I'm not here to argue with you, nor am I moderating this board. But, I do think it's acceptable to point out that this is one gigantic misunderstanding of posts and there's no reason to be purusing the direction that this topic has gone in...

Old 08-10-2012, 01:37 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Would not disagree that Greenville has made progress. But, metrics are important. That is why metric reporting is followed closely by the markets. Folks who ignore them usually 't doto well long term.

But, you are wrong about government, Greenville gets it's fair share of Government dollars.
I've done well for many years without your metrics. So has this area, and many of the people in it. Stats don't make the place, we make the stats. We pull in stuff regardless.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,110 times
All I have to say is that I actually ordered my car from Germany, and I still had a few problems so I think Mexico may have a chance lol.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Wow, four and a half pages of off topic crap.

As for the BMW plant in Mexico, contrary to what the article says, plans are currently on hold, but could resume in future.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Now that the non-sense has been removed maybe we can stay on topic --- which is GREENVILLE and BMW.

If NJ is BMW's Global HQ, it will stay there for two reasons. [1] International word association, and [2] cost. I would cost a BMW, a ton of money to move from NJ to SC. Let me give you a small example.

Aaron Spellman's widow sold their 16 bedroom mansion. It took professional movers over two months to box and label collections and household non-furniture item to a warehouse for auction. Some of those boxes were transported to the Smithsonian and a NY auction house. The furniture and personal items that were going to the new 6 bedroom penthouse went to a different storage area. The balance was then auctioned. I believe it was close to six months before the mansion was totally empty.

Now imagine not only the logistics of moving electronics and files 1000 miles, and re-establishing a network connection in advance, imagine the amount of paper work involved to notify everyone they do business with worldwide. It is not a pretty picture. It is a logistics nightmare for a company the size of BMW. Plus NJ is a corporate haven.

I had a recent discussion on another forum about your city. G'ville promotes itself better than any city I know. It is an excellent model. Corporate likes it a number of reasons including low real estate tax and perks from the city. The topic of discussion centered around Trader Joe's and the Big Ten schools.

One comment was that TJ's was going to build in every Big Ten town. I made the comment that student population of 35,000 wasn't the only thing that drew Tj's. If it was Tj's would not have parked in G'Ville that location is everything, and G'ville is not far from the mountains or the ocean.

This was followed by a snarky comment about the Big Ten posters in the other forum that are organizing a petition should work on "mountains and ocean." To which I replied the Upstate has 7 colleges/universities and over 1M people. Trader Joe's looks at areas with an aggregate population of 1M or more. Then Ann Arbor was brought up. It is part of the Detroit Metro area; it's a no brainer. Whether or not TJ's will build in a small isolated area in a physically large farming state that is not near a IM metro area remains to be seen.

As to G'ville airport here is the question. At this point in time is it worth the expense to extend runways to accept military, jumbo jet, UPS cargo, and Airbus A330 planes. If it is, then it might be time to think about hangars and warehouses. It is really cool to see Air Force One land a smaller airport.

Even though I don't live in G'ville, and have not visited, I support it in various forums. I think G'ville is a pretty city with a bright future. Location is everything and so is planning. The city has done a pretty good job so far. As for traffic G'ville could take a page from Lake of the Ozarks in MO. The high traffic areas that were so painful to navigate for many years were widened to 4-lanes with a turn lane. Plus, two new stop lights were installed at anchor stores like Walmart. It works very well in the high voiume retail areas that had developed slowly oaver 30 years.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:18 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
I thought GSP Airport could already handle all of those aircraft. Its runway is 11,001 feet long and has been extended before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area