Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:10 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times

Advertisements

Saw on Autoweek that BMW has plans to build an assembly plant in Mexico. While I don't think they are planning to make the X vehicles in Mexico, I thought the Spartanburg Plant would eventually get the 3 Series as well. According to Autoweek, the 3 will be built in Mexico. Has anyone heard about this in the upstate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Wonder what will happen when (prospective) buyers find out their "Ulitmate Driving Machine" will be made in south of the border....

Old 08-07-2012, 07:00 PM

477 posts, read 841,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Wonder what will happen when (prospective) buyers find out their "Ulitmate Driving Machine" will be made in south of the border....
What do you think will happen? It will be a good quality car b/c it is still a German company. Trust me, they'll make sure that things are being done the right way.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
What do you think will happen? It will be a good quality car b/c it is still a German company. Trust me, they'll make sure that things are being done the right way.
Audi is or will be making cars in Mexico. But, I struggled recently with buying a new 335 made in S Africa. The one we purchased was made in Munich. Some won't care but, I did want one made in Germany.

I am not sure how this will impact the Spartanburg Plant. I think the plant will eventually have around 10k employees but, will this announcement mean that BMW will move more production to Mexico. On another note, would be a good pitch for Charlotte to get the NA BMW Headquarters. Would be closer to both plants than New Jersey.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Audi is or will be making cars in Mexico. But, I struggled recently with buying a new 335 made in S Africa. The one we purchased was made in Munich. Some won't care but, I did want one made in Germany.

I am not sure how this will impact the Spartanburg Plant. I think the plant will eventually have around 10k employees but, will this announcement mean that BMW will move more production to Mexico. On another note, would be a good pitch for Charlotte to get the NA BMW Headquarters. Would be closer to both plants than New Jersey.
So would Greer, where there is a well-established BMW corporate presence for that matter...

Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
If BMW decides to relocate its corporate HQ, Greenville would be as well positioned as anyone.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,442,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
If BMW decides to relocate its corporate HQ, Greenville would be as well positioned as anyone.
This is very true, and if Greenville City Council hears anything about the corporate HQ possibly being moved I'm positive they will try to lure them to Greenville in a heart beat. I really don't understand whythe HQ is in NJ in the first place as most people don't, but I've heard a lot of people that already believe the HQ is in Greenville when it's not. So moving it to Greenville would be expected rather than any other city.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Outside of having the Spartanburg Plant close by, there is nothing to suggest that Greenville is as well positioned as any city. First, air service at GSP is minimal compared with CLT, there are no international flights out of GSP and direct flights are limited to a handful of cities. Second, having a large pool of qualified workers is minimal compared with other cities. We have been over the low college attainment levels but cities like Charlotte attract as much as 50k residents in any given year, sometimes more sometimes less. This is just shy of adding the entire city of Greenville each year. With these new folks are more qualified workers. I am using Charlotte as the basis for comparison because it is not far away and to show that this statement is completely false. Other factors that would play into the equation are schools, universities (Charlotte has great proximity to top schools such as Wake, Duke, Chapel Hill, South Carolina, NC State and others, it attracts graduates from those schools in large numbers. Quality of life in cities like Charlotte is great. A lot Of this comparison can be applied to other cities such as Raleigh, Atlanta and others. But, to say that Greenville is as well positioned as any other city is not reality.

HQ moves are often decided by a few people so, other things such as politics and incentives would be in play

Old 08-09-2012, 02:55 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Outside of having the Spartanburg Plant close by, there is nothing to suggest that Greenville is as well positioned as any city. First, air service at GSP is minimal compared with CLT, there are no international flights out of GSP and direct flights are limited to a handful of cities. Second, having a large pool of qualified workers is minimal compared with other cities. We have been over the low college attainment levels but cities like Charlotte attract as much as 50k residents in any given year, sometimes more sometimes less. This is just shy of adding the entire city of Greenville each year. With these new folks are more qualified workers. I am using Charlotte as the basis for comparison because it is not far away and to show that this statement is completely false. Other factors that would play into the equation are schools, universities (Charlotte has great proximity to top schools such as Wake, Duke, Chapel Hill, South Carolina, NC State and others, it attracts graduates from those schools in large numbers. Quality of life in cities like Charlotte is great. A lot Of this comparison can be applied to other cities such as Raleigh, Atlanta and others. But, to say that Greenville is as well positioned as any other city is not reality.

HQ moves are often decided by a few people so, other things such as politics and incentives would be in play
Using Greenville's city limit population in this discussion is not a good example. We all know that it can't annex and is poor example of size. Also, just because Charlotte is larger doesn't make it the automatic choice. If that were the case, everything in both Carolinas may as well put their headquarters there. Right?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Using Greenville's city limit population in this discussion is not a good example. We all know that it can't annex and is poor example of size. Also, just because Charlotte is larger doesn't make it the automatic choice. If that were the case, everything in both Carolinas may as well put their headquarters there. Right?
Red, I agree that the Greenville area is larger. But, in my example, the "city" of Greenville is not much larger than the number of folks moving into Charlotte each year.

As for being larger, I know Charlotte is not the automatic choice. But, Greenville (the poster) claimed that Greenville was "as well positioned as anyone". While arrogant, it is just false. If I am a site selection consultant, the low air service combined with lower educational levels in Metro Greenville and the upstate in general would be a big red flag for moving professional positions into the area. In areas like Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Nashville and others, you would have tens of thousands of well qualified candidates for the few hundred positions at a HQ operation. Now, politics can change things and CEOs often decide where they want to live first and then what makes sense for the company. So, it is not always about what makes economic sense for the company. But, there are a lot of variables that make Greenville less than desirable for an operation like NA Headquarters for BMW. I think this has already been decided as BMW recently expanded the New Jersey Headquarters.

However, the intent of this was to see what folks think the impact may be to the Spartanburg Plan with BMW looking to build in Mexico. I don't think it will hurt current operations, it just may not grow as fast in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area