Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 PM

100 posts, read 148,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I used to drive it every weekday. I don't think I could do it today.

It takes 2-3 times as long to get anywhere in Chicago compared to here. Add snow or ice and they are still going but then its more like 4-5 times as long
. I don't miss Chicago traffic at all. I just wonder where I'd be employment wise since my salary was maxing out!
SERIOUSLY!!! When my kids went to sacred heart...it would take a half hour just to go 6 miles...and that's on a good day...lol Boy I can't wait to leave here lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 08:33 AM

935 posts, read 1,649,706 times
[quote=custyredrat;28451424]I am also a new resident of the Upstate. I currently rent because I do not know exactly if I can make this my new permanent home. Male, 25-30 bracket.

My work is in Greer, SC

let me guess - B M W

Old 03-02-2013, 10:03 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
If you think Clemson/Greenville is expensive, think again. I'm sorry but my eyes got so big when I read that one. Really? Gas is the cheapest in the nation in that area. I just moved from Greenville to Charleston and this area is pricey. For the same exact type of apartment I had in Greenville, I pay $400 more a month in Charleston. Everyone I met in Greenville says how it's one of the most affordable places they have ever lived.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY2112 View Post
SERIOUSLY!!! When my kids went to sacred heart...it would take a half hour just to go 6 miles...and that's on a good day...lol Boy I can't wait to leave here lol
I hear ya Smokey! People need to realize no one place is perfect. Chicago fit us for the first half of our lives but the daily grind and snow took it's toll. I laughed when Mom told me her and Dad were considering moving back there and told her they didn't really want to do that. Let's find somewhere NEW and that was South Carolina. We have a chance for snow today but it will only amount to flurries and a dusting on the mountains. Yes, we have mountains down here. You won't see that in Chicago!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 AM

100 posts, read 148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I hear ya Smokey! People need to realize no one place is perfect. Chicago fit us for the first half of our lives but the daily grind and snow took it's toll. I laughed when Mom told me her and Dad were considering moving back there and told her they didn't really want to do that. Let's find somewhere NEW and that was South Carolina. We have a chance for snow today but it will only amount to flurries and a dusting on the mountains. Yes, we have mountains down here. You won't see that in Chicago!
Yes...no one place is perfect! I agree! I don't have the daily grind because I work from home...and honestly I never thought...before the last few years...I'd EVER want to leave Chicago...but OMG has that changed... Glad your p's decided on not coming back here...they made the best choice!

LOL Definitely no mountains here...Chicago's as flat as a class of 1st graders haha

Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 AM

596 posts, read 937,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barra22 View Post
I’ve lived in the Clemson area for only 6 months and have some observations to share.

(1) In my estimation, the cost of everything here - from basic groceries, education, healthcare to a take-out pizza is EXPENSIVE, even compared to urban Chicago standards where I most recently lived for 11 years. What accounts for the high cost of living (or at least my perception of it)?

(2) There is a huge amount of fast food restaurant and chain store sprawl that clogs the main road of every town. At one intersection in Easley, I was amazed to see a Rite-Aid, Walgreen's AND CVS. I can't believe there's even enough density of population to support so many stores.

(3) Clemson is a disappointment. Over 16,000 students and all they have is College Ave with a few student bars, a Hallmark store and at least two university souvenir shops. On Tiger Ave it seems nearly every fast food restaurant chain in the U.S. is represented. Where are the independent restaurants, organic grocery stores, speciality retail and cafes that would bring some uniqueness to the place?

(4) Speeding on the roads is rampant. Driving 10 to 15 miles over the posted limit is pretty much the norm. The local and state police are rarely seen regulating traffic, which may explain the Wild West feel on the roads. In just six months of driving around, I’ve passed four accident scenes, one involving an overturned vehicle.

Would like to get feedback on some of these issues from those who are familiar with the upstate.
there are mom and pop restaurants and stores in Clemson. Most Clemson students are not working, especially fulltime, and there is no other major employers in town, so it's kind of crazy for you to expect a ton of restaurants and retail options because there is nobody there with the money to support it.

i have a hard time believing Clemson and SC has any more chain restaurants and stores than Chicago. The 3 pharmacies on one intersection is bit of an outlier but I doubt all 3 of them would be located there if there was not enough demand to keep all three in business. I would think it is a good thing that the Powdersville area has three options for pharmacy right there, maybe more if the grocery stores there have a pharmacy. more options is always better than less options, in my view.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 AM

596 posts, read 937,891 times
Pixie and Bill's, Pot belly deli, Columbo's Pizza (b/t Clemson and Pendleton), Calhoun Corners Restaurant, Blue Heron are a few of the local restaurants in town. they also have some chains that aren't everywhere like mellow mushroom and grouchos deli.

for a small town like clemson with no major employers, it has quite a bit in terms of restaurants. you won't find another small town in sc that has what it has. if you don't like small towns it is curious to me that you would move to one.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWold View Post
I just moved from Greenville to Charleston and this area is pricey. For the same exact type of apartment I had in Greenville, I pay $400 more a month in Charleston. Everyone I met in Greenville says how it's one of the most affordable places they have ever lived.
Okay, Greenville just moved above Charleston on my short list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area