Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM

505 posts, read 940,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Woodruff Road is not the busiest road in the state. Interstates 85, 26, and 385 get much more traffic.
uhhh. . .obviously. However, that's an apples-to-oranges comparison, but I think you knew that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
**Update**

Had a great weekend in Greenville. Went downtown on Sat Night and Sun Afternoon, found free parking both times. Traveled along Woodruff on Sat and Sun during morning, afternoon, and evening. Although there was plenty of traffic...it moved swiftly enough for us. All in all, very impressive...and yes, the people were welcoming, kind, and friendly. We visited the Mall, some shops in and around Simpsonville, and walked the Reedy Falls Park area. Had a great time. Our hats off to the citizens of the area...well done and thanks for allowing us to visit.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Glad you enjoyed it!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Woodruff Road is not the busiest road in the state. Interstates 85, 26, and 385 get much more traffic.
Uh.......I thought it was pretty obvious we were talking about commercial/residential roads, not interstate freeways. Since you've got a lot of cridibility built up here, I'll just chalk that one up to a brain fart on your part g-man.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM

462 posts, read 968,438 times
I havent read all the posts so I may repeat something said, but heres my input...

I lived in a small town my whole life. I moved to Greenville 3 years ago and LOVE it. I currently live in the Pelham/E. North area and love where I live but am currently looking for a home myself. The good thing about the area is there are back roads to get you around all the busy roads so it is not an issue.

Downtown is my favorite place to be - whether to walk, eat, shop, attend a concert or just sit & people watch. There is no better place to me.

Woodruff Rd. is busy yes, but again take the back roads & its not a prob.

I would suggest Taylors, Greer, or the Pelham Rd. area of Greenville to live. I have looked in so many places at houses & have found these seems to be the prettiest, better taken care of neighborhoods that are close to everything.

I enjoy taking my handicapped father to the Drive games and it is very easy to get him in & out.

I think you will enjoy the area no matter where you move as long as you avoid certain areas known for high crime.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Hmm, going back to the OPs original question, here are my 3 things:

1) Remember that you're NOT in "Kansas" anymore (or NY, PA, FL, etc.). The less you compare the "good things" you left behind like certain stores, restaurants, etc., with what's here the happier you'll be, dedicate time instead to really explore all Greenville has to offer. Unless you ended up here by pure chance, like an inevitable job transfer, you made the choice so remember it's really a "trade-off", you get some things you may not like along with those you really will.

2) This is THE SOUTH, and part of the Bible belt, and in reality that's a big part of what makes this place what it is, so please don't grumble about the local culture, wherever you came from it's NOT perfect either.

3) With that said, some things will inevitably change over time with the influx of us "transplants" but let's try to keep what attracted us here (or most of us) the same, such as smiling, saying hello to total strangers and being corteous and helpful to others. It's small things like that that makes the world a better place to live, and Greenville is a nice little corner of that world and I, for one, would like for it to stay this way!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM

684 posts, read 1,185,571 times
And the few weeks of intense pollen everywhere going on right now that may or may not increase your monthly tissue consumption.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
And the few weeks of intense pollen everywhere going on right now that may or may not increase your monthly tissue consumption.
Allergies are far and away the worst thing about the Upstate; they're terrible.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:39 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Allergies are far and away the worst thing about the Upstate; they're terrible.
I suffer from several allergies but seem to be completely immune to pollen, and I've been dusting my car "unprotected" and am not taking an antihistamine at the time. Maybe it's because of my use of local honey...? They say that works to prevent pollen allergies. Whatever the reason, during my first Spring when people were trying to warn me to be careful I kind of set my mind to not accept the fear of becoming allergic to pollen because I LOVE Spring, and maybe there's a "Law of Attraction" thing going on here, even the Bible says that we get what we fear, I may not be able to keep all fears under control but the thought makes me feel like I do have some control.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:10 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Hmm, going back to the OPs original question, here are my 3 things:

1) Remember that you're NOT in "Kansas" anymore (or NY, PA, FL, etc.). The less you compare the "good things" you left behind like certain stores, restaurants, etc., with what's here the happier you'll be, dedicate time instead to really explore all Greenville has to offer. Unless you ended up here by pure chance, like an inevitable job transfer, you made the choice so remember it's really a "trade-off", you get some things you may not like along with those you really will.

2) This is THE SOUTH, and part of the Bible belt, and in reality that's a big part of what makes this place what it is, so please don't grumble about the local culture, wherever you came from it's NOT perfect either.

3) With that said, some things will inevitably change over time with the influx of us "transplants" but let's try to keep what attracted us here (or most of us) the same, such as smiling, saying hello to total strangers and being corteous and helpful to others. It's small things like that that makes the world a better place to live, and Greenville is a nice little corner of that world and I, for one, would like for it to stay this way!
Got it on all, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area