Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,186 times

Advertisements

Hello there

The company that my husband works for is opening an office in Spartonberg, Greenville, SC. We currently live in Canada. He asked me if I would consider moving. We live in a multi-cultural up scale area. ( Europeans, Black, Middle Eastern, Eastern Indian, Jewish, Asian) Average cost of home is $350-500,000, it is great. We have travelled to the South before ( Florida and Myrtle Beach) it was great, we had alot of fun. However, being a tourist and living there are different. Please excuse the following statements, my intent is not to offend anyone. The history of the South, prejudice, segregation was not that long ago. I look at people not race, that was the way I was raised. We are a inter-racial couple, I am black and my husband is white. Would we have a problem in any of the areas? Are there any areas that would be better than other to live? We are both educated and don't have any problems getting along with anyone. I would like to think that the past is history, however I still have to ask?

Sincerly yours,
Undecided in Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
It depends on the person.

I personally have heard statements about "sticking to your own kind". But other people are more open. It might also depend on how old y'all are. Although, I'm still young and heard this.

You may get a few weird looks but nobody will openly be racist towards you.

Good luck and hopefully it will work out for you.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 PM

354 posts, read 1,077,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleorose View Post
Hello there

The company that my husband works for is opening an office in Spartonberg, Greenville, SC. We currently live in Canada. He asked me if I would consider moving. We live in a multi-cultural up scale area. ( Europeans, Black, Middle Eastern, Eastern Indian, Jewish, Asian) Average cost of home is $350-500,000, it is great. We have travelled to the South before ( Florida and Myrtle Beach) it was great, we had alot of fun. However, being a tourist and living there are different. Please excuse the following statements, my intent is not to offend anyone. The history of the South, prejudice, segregation was not that long ago. I look at people not race, that was the way I was raised. We are a inter-racial couple, I am black and my husband is white. Would we have a problem in any of the areas? Are there any areas that would be better than other to live? We are both educated and don't have any problems getting along with anyone. I would like to think that the past is history, however I still have to ask?

Sincerly yours,
Undecided in Canada
I'm also a Canadian who is currently living in Seattle, WA. (from NB originally). We are moving to Greenville in the fall.
I've been researching the area for about a year now....and I really don't think you will have anything to worry about. I totally hear you about the concerns. Canadians hear all kinds of weird things about Americans, just like Americans hear werid things about Canadians. For the most part.......it's just a few that spoil it for the rest. The people in Greenville seem really friendly and kind. They like their culture and just want others who come to the area to embrace it.....not try to change it. That being said.......I've read all kinds of comments on here about interracial couples and it's all been pretty postive feedback! Good luck with your move!!
Where in Canada are you coming from? Sounds like Montreal or TO??

Old 04-26-2008, 08:57 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
If you locate in or close to the City of Greenville, you should have nothing to worry about. Greenville is quite cosmopolitan in its ethnic mixture and a very welcome home for people from any cultural background. It really will be a surprise once you experience it in person. One visit is all you need to know it is a wonderful place to live.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:24 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,824 times
I met a mixed-race couple who has been living in rural Greenville County for 33 years, and they said they had never had any trouble. It made my heart feel good to hear that.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:55 AM

269 posts, read 1,010,474 times
Things are changing - slowly... Take your time in this decision, spend time here, ask people you find interesting questions (both black and white and everything in between). There are quite alot of open minded people here, but on the flip side there are alot that are closet biggots and racists. I love people and the different wrappings that they come in, it's like every day is Christmas and you get to see what's inside someone by just by talking to them...what a gift.

Just the other day I was listening to my neighbor while out gardening, this man used the N word so much I was slack jaw. I had to tell I did not appreciate that language and could he please refrain. THIS IS MAN WITH AN ENORMOUS QUANTITY OF AFRICAN AMERICAN FRIENDS! THEY ARE CONSTANTLY HANGING OUT TOGETHER AND HE STILL USES THIS TERM!

You should be fine in regards living here. Just spend some time here and really look at the people both in the city and outside the city limits. I will welcome you in advance.

Sincerely,
The wife

Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
Things are changing - slowly... Take your time in this decision, spend time here, ask people you find interesting questions (both black and white and everything in between). There are quite alot of open minded people here, but on the flip side there are alot that are closet biggots and racists. I love people and the different wrappings that they come in, it's like every day is Christmas and you get to see what's inside someone by just by talking to them...what a gift.

Just the other day I was listening to my neighbor while out gardening, this man used the N word so much I was slack jaw. I had to tell I did not appreciate that language and could he please refrain. THIS IS MAN WITH AN ENORMOUS QUANTITY OF AFRICAN AMERICAN FRIENDS! THEY ARE CONSTANTLY HANGING OUT TOGETHER AND HE STILL USES THIS TERM!

You should be fine in regards living here. Just spend some time here and really look at the people both in the city and outside the city limits. I will welcome you in advance.

Sincerely,
The wife
Now see I know people like that and some of it is racism and some of it is social irresponsibility or a combination of both.

Some white people hear it used in rap music and say it which is socially irresponsible.

Other white people with black friends may separate black people into 2 groups.. One is the "cool" black people and the other is the word your neighbor said. But they'll never admit they're racist and if they do it is "only towards black people", which supposedly makes it all better.

Or because some black people use the n-word amongst each other, your neighbor might have thought because he had so many black friends that he was "one of those guys" and could say it.

Let's not get into the whole whether black people should say it or not debate in here though please.

Last edited by guestposter24; 04-26-2008 at 11:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area