Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:31 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Slightly off topic possibly; Ingles today announced the weekly ad will begin on Wednesday starting May 28th. Always struck me weird that they didn't follow the same schedule as other stores in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Kroger did the same thing for its SE Division earlier this year. Ingles competes against them in some burbs of Atlanta, N Georgia and Eastern Tenn. Sounds like they followed their lead. Wonder why grocers run Wed-Tues rather than Sun-Sat like the drug stores and big boxes? Found this article that explains some of the reasons

Nation's Largest Supermarket Shakes Up Shoppers' Routines - Coupons in the News
I have noticed this. Wednesday is the middle of the week. People have been paid or will be paid before the weekend. It is a chance to circulate new sales and generate business constant throughout the weekend.

I recall Winn Dixie ran Thursday through Wednesday.

Quote:
That is a massive parking lot in front of Ingles at Cherrydale. Much of it is not used especially the part next to Poinsett Hwy near the signalized entrance beside Jack/Box. I have always thought there was room there for a small outparcel building with several small shops/restaurants or an Ingles fuel center.

North Carolina is home to three growing grocery chains - Ingles(Black Mountain), Lowes Foods(Winston Salem) and Harris Teeter (Charlotte). That seems unusual these days with national players like Walmart and on-going consolidation among the grocery chains.
Has anyone noticed the separate white parking spaces from yellow parking spaces at Ingle's Markets? The white parking spaces are for employee parking.

I think a fuel station can go up there. It would be nice to see I-Marts going up instead of Ingle's Gas Express. The space available would be for an Ingle's Gas Express if it comes to fruition.

I will disagree with you on Lowe's Foods growing. Why would you close stores when successful chains like Publix and Kroger/Harris Teeter are moving in or announced future locations? Lowe's Foods failed both in Charlotte and quickly in Asheville. I know they are opening stores in the Myrtle Beach area, but they leave much more to be needed. Publix has two stores in the works there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 08:59 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,598,419 times
A Fuel center for the Ingels at CherryDale Point would be nice

Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL fan View Post
A Fuel center for the Ingels at CherryDale Point would be nice
Unless QuikTrip opens nearby, a fuel center here would make going to Sunoco and Spinx unnecessary. The access would be easier and the prices would be lower.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:07 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times

I give Lowe's Food credit for some interesting store design lately. The newest store opened in Myrtle Beach this week with their new logo:

They only have around 100 stores (small chain about the size of Food City) so opening 3 or 4 new stores is growth to them. Not Publix or Kroger style growth but growth to them. I wouldn't say they failed in Charlotte. They still kept some stores on the outskirts of Charlotte like Harrisburg but did trade some urban stores to HT. BI-LO did a similar thing with Publix in Charlotte.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:10 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Back to Ingles. Any I-Marts in the upstate? Is that Ingles Express with a conv. store?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 PM

A Lowes Food would do good in this area

Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I give Lowe's Food credit for some interesting store design lately. The newest store opened in Myrtle Beach this week with their new logo:

They only have around 100 stores (small chain about the size of Food City) so opening 3 or 4 new stores is growth to them. Not Publix or Kroger style growth but growth to them. I wouldn't say they failed in Charlotte. They still kept some stores on the outskirts of Charlotte like Harrisburg but did trade some urban stores to HT. BI-LO did a similar thing with Publix in Charlotte.
Quote:
Lowe's Foods has issues on necessities and service similar to Food Lion (i.e. no pharmacies in stores located in pharmacy deserts).

Until Lowe's Foods solves their issues and improve in Charlotte and western North Carolina, I would not worry about them coming to Greenville or upstate South Carolina. I can see them being acquired by another chain.

Quote:
Back to Ingles. Any I-Marts in the upstate? Is that Ingles Express with a conv. store?
Yes, I-Mart is the full convenience store with Ingle's Gas Express. They operate in Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee. One is yet to open in South Carolina. I do not know if stores 39, 239 and 240 in Anderson will see any I-Marts. Right now, I assume they are just Ingle's Gas Express.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 05-09-2014 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 08:04 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Quote:
I don't see Lowes Foods doing well anywhere that they are in competition with Ingles and Publix. They just aren't that good of a chain. We lived in Central NC for several years and both Harris Teeter and Kroger seemed to have better grocery stores. Harris Teeter did a better job catering to the high end market and Kroger crushed them on price. They did compare favorably to Food Lion but that is pretty faint praise.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:48 PM

Would like to see a Korgers in this area

Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I don't see Lowes Foods doing well anywhere that they are in competition with Ingles and Publix. They just aren't that good of a chain. We lived in Central NC for several years and both Harris Teeter and Kroger seemed to have better grocery stores. Harris Teeter did a better job catering to the high end market and Kroger crushed them on price. They did compare favorably to Food Lion but that is pretty faint praise.
This is obvious in Raleigh, North Carolina where Lowe's Foods closed two stores in the vicinity of a new Publix store.

Quote:
Would like to see a Korgers in this area
Kroger would be a nice addition to Greenville and upstate South Carolina. I doubt their larger stores including Kroger Marketplace can easily locate here. Acquiring an existing chain in the area would help them get market share quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area