Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 15,179 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the positive responses. I think most of the people who care about the area and desire to make a difference (no matter how small) in Spartanburg are busy living their lives and working on making the city better on an individual level--not sitting behind a computer worrying about those that promote pessimism. This is evidently the trap I have been sucked into! Pessimism is a poor method for invoking change.

When looking at where Spartanburg is today, you have to put it into perspective. Not only has it come an incredibly long way in the four years we have lived here, but there are historic gems in the city with massive potential for redevelopment (many of which are under construction or planning right now). These structures add value to Spartanburg that cannot be replicated with a strip mall. I have faith in those leading the revitalization and will continue to be patient and optimistic. It's a much more enjoyable way to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 08:28 PM

13 posts, read 20,735 times
well lets examine the demographics...spartanburg is chock full of shift workers. and they cant relate to rich folks and vice versa. so the solution is to let the appeal of both work together like greenville does. spartanburg city ideology dictates that only the rich folks should be attracted to the town. problem is it dont work that way. if you have this huge population of broke disenfranchised folks that are on a treadmill that is why cash advance america is headquartered here. do you know the average interest of a title loan? 377% !! lets pretend the problem is elsewhere. but its not.its here. its the epicenter of good ole boy keep poor folks in their place. that aways menial chores are done by them while the loaded blue blooders go on yacht rides. actually the city staff prides and fancies themselves as political geniuses every time they watch the news they think they are helping the world by giving a hick a belly punch. try and talk to one of them.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Benton View Post
Spartanburg is a lovely city. My wife and I are young transplants from the Atlanta and Birmingham areas and could not be happier living here. Granted, downtown is not bustling like Greenville, but Spartanburg and Greenville have unique identities. We have met wonderful friends and have minimal complaints. The cost of living in the downtown area (Converse Heights for us) is ridiculously low compared to most places in the south that have as much to offer as Spartanburg.

Frankly, I wish people would stop comparing Greenville and Spartanburg and just appreciate their proximity to each other and the differences between the two. They complement each other and each has unique offerings. Greenville is a short drive away, but we do not have to deal with the traffic or parking issues in Spartanburg. Downtown is intimate, historic, pretty, and improving with each month. In fact, it's extremely exciting to be in a city that's in the midst of a renaissance as opposed to already having everything.

Anyway, I don't usually like to pander to people that bash Spartanburg, but I know plenty of potential residents read this forum and may make a decision based off of one poor assessment of a city. If anyone has any questions about Spartanburg, feel free to PM me. It's not Greenville and it's not a big city, but it's a damn lovely city and I'm proud to live here.
I will be closing and moving into a house right in Spartanburg and I have to say, from what I read here on the forums, I wasn't even considering it. Been looking in Greenville and its suburbs extensively.

Wow, was I suprised when I started to explore Spartanburg for myself. We loved it!!! One of my kids in their early twenties loved the downtown, and we loved the charm and atmosphere in many of its neighborhoods. All of the wonderful colleges right in driving distance is another great thing about this town, and the prices are not as high as Greenville, and taxes lower too. Love that we can be in Greenville as well and enjoy both cities.

Spartanburg from what I have been told and am reading is up an coming, and is making some changes in a positive direction. I agree both cities are unique!!!

Old 11-28-2014, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 843 times
I own several homes in Spartanburg and think it is great. When you look at the price per sq. ft. compared to Greenville it is perfect. Many people told me not to buy there but there are pockets that are fantastic. Also, only 30 minutes to Greenville and an hour to Charlotte. The fishing is nice, the homes are large, the residents are friendly and the elected officials are very reachable.

I believe you always find what you are looking for. I was looking for a nice place to live and invest, and that is exactly what I found. What is it you are looking for in Spartanburg? You probably found exactly that!

Old 12-02-2014, 03:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
If you are looking for stuck up snobs who think they are more important than they are.....

Or if you're looking for down to Earth blue collar working folks, affordable housing and a happy, humble lifestyle. ...

Well the GSP area has both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area