Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:30 AM

5,485 posts, read 8,315,620 times

Advertisements

Wasn't the mayor who started all of the downtown revitalization a foreigner who transplanted from another country. Max Heller. Not technically a native.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 04:10 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Wasn't the mayor who started all of the downtown revitalization a foreigner who transplanted from another country. Max Heller. Not technically a native.
I believe he worked in Greenville for decades prior to being mayor. But he had to have support from natives in and out of the city government to reduce the lanes and put up the trees. and then natives had to support the businesses on Main Street in the 80s and 90s. city beautification won't mean much if people don't go downtown and spend money.

a lot of the cities that transplants come from don't have downtowns as nice as Greenville and Greenville's revitalization started in 1970s, before it became a national trend.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Some nice local places to eat and hang but they are being run out by the big box chains. I miss up north in this regard because all the big box chains are pushed out into the burbs so when you're in the city you can enjoy local hot spots more readily. Down here the big box chains have found a way to squeeze into the city proper and snuggle right up to the local mom and pop hang outs.
What are the big box store chains in downtown Greenville? I assume you mean chains, not big box chains.

There are tons of local restaurants in downtown

Old 11-23-2015, 05:19 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
It is not true downtown Greenville was 'trash' in the 1990s. Downtown looked similar to how it does today in the 1990s, except there used to be a road over the waterfall rather than the pedestrian bridge and the west end had not be built up much and no baseball stadium. It was a popular downtown in the 1990s prior to the bridge. They had the Fall for Greenville and other festivals downtown in the 1990s. I went to Furman tennis camp in summer of 1990 and they took us downtown Greenville one night to the old movie theatre to see Dick Tracy.
This.

I moved here in '98 and it was fine then. Before that I lived in Asheville and came down for Fall For Greenville a couple of times - and it was still far from being "trash"

Old 11-23-2015, 05:46 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:

Max moved here to escape the Nazis, not the cold winters! He was a very interesting man. We had several great and interesting conversations, and I'm sad I couldn't have had more.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:19 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Pros:

-Central location
-Shopping, dining, and entertainment mecca.
-Easy going city. Not too laid back, but not too "hustled and bustled."
-Growing diverse and gaining better jobs.
-Still relatively cheap.
-Easy and comfortable place to raise a family/grow up.

Cons:

-Honestly feels like any other city once you get outside of downtown.
-Area planning doesn't seem like the smartest around, and the west side seems pretty neglected and forgotten.
-A little overly conservative and fundamental. This was not a fun place to be during the whole flag controversy.

Traffic is definitely not a "pro", but I don't have any problem with it. Seems normal for a city Greenville's size.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 11-23-2015 at 07:02 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 07:35 PM

Jandrew, do you live or have you ever lived in Greenville? Your little profile indicates 'lowstate' which I take is Charleston.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:08 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Pros:

-Central location
-Shopping, dining, and entertainment mecca.
-Easy going city. Not too laid back, but not too "hustled and bustled."
-Growing diverse and gaining better jobs.
-Still relatively cheap.
-Easy and comfortable place to raise a family/grow up.

Cons:

-Honestly feels like any other city once you get outside of downtown.
-Area planning doesn't seem like the smartest around, and the west side seems pretty neglected and forgotten.
-A little overly conservative and fundamental. This was not a fun place to be during the whole flag controversy.

Traffic is definitely not a "pro", but I don't have any problem with it. Seems normal for a city Greenville's size.
Flag controversy was no worse here than any other city in the state. Saw a few flags and had no issues up here. And I'm a dark American.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Jandrew, do you live or have you ever lived in Greenville? Your little profile indicates 'lowstate' which I take is Charleston.
"Lowcountry" + "Upstate" = "Lowstate"...

Quote:
Flag controversy was no worse here than any other city in the state. Saw a few flags and had no issues up here. And I'm a dark American.
I disagree completely. Sorry.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:37 PM

So you do live in Greenville at least part time? That was a loaded accusation about people in Greenville. You could live in the Upstate but not live in Greenville.

The only reason I ask is another person said that are big box chain stores downtown, and another person said I-85 thru Greenville is only 4 lanes rather than 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area