Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:20 AM

604 posts, read 584,467 times

Advertisements

I'm pointed in a similar direction, and I'm up in Tigerville. I always assumed I'm getting a reflected signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 07:33 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Most indoor antennas are poor performers and will have difficulty receiving 13. Although you may consider a Terk HDTVa Log Antenna sold at HHG. But a better, less expensive option worth trying would be the Winegard Freevision antenna sold at Home Depot for $34. It can be used inside, outside, or in the attic. Not to be confused with the Winegard Flatwave thin panel antenna also sold there. Avoid that one. And you may need to add the Winegard LNA200 preamplifier also sold at Home Depot. Other more expensive choices are the Clearstream 2V and 4V antennas sold at Walmart and Best Buy. But I would try the Freevision first as it is more affordable and likely to perform just as well. Now if you want a big style outside antenna, some Radioshack stores may have clearance prices on certain models, as they are apparently discontinuing TV antennas as a result of the bankruptcy and the rebranding with Sprint. And they have closed down their Antennacraft manufacturing facility.

We live about 3 miles south of Easley and I'm considering trying to pull local channels using an antenna. This post is from a while ago (HHG and Radioshack are history). Is this still your basic advice for antennas or do you have updated suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune (less than $100 total, and even less would be better, since the main driver is to save $$ by dropping cable). Do I need a pre-amp, fm trap, and amplifier in addition to the antenna? I mainly want to pull the major networks (NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC).

If I want to send the signal to 1 TV upstairs and 1 TV downstairs (hoping to use the cable wiring in the house to send the signal from upstairs to the distribution box and then downstairs). Do I amplify the signal upstairs or do I need an amplifier for each individual tv?

Old 12-12-2017, 12:50 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russhg View Post
I ordered the FM trap. Last night, while still trying to figure why 13 was so elusive, not even getting any kind of signal, I started playing with the antenna. In the past, I always got decent results pointing the antenna at around 318 degrees. I decided to leave the tuner set to 13 and do a full scan to see if I could at least get a blip. While turning it counter clockwise I didn't see any sign of a signal but, when it was almost full north, I suddenly got a huge spike. I got the best signal at 4 degrees. That's 40 degrees off from 324 which is supposed to be the tower location in Asheville. It is very strong, plus I still get all my other channels plus channel 17 unctv. Needless to say I am thrilled, but wondering why the direction is way off. Channel 16 is about a mile away, wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Are you getting the main 13 from Asheville or the Channel 31 translator from Paris Mountain? Either way, it is good you have found the best spot for the strongest signal. Channel 13 actually broadcasts from Mt. Pisgah, so that is where you need to aim the antenna. But sometimes mountains or trees can cause reflections or bounces in the signal path, so that could be what you are experiencing.

As for the FM trap, it will definitely help if strong FM stations are causing interference, particularly if you are using an amplifier. Place the FM trap before the amplifier. At my location, I could not get 13 without the FM filter.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
We live about 3 miles south of Easley and I'm considering trying to pull local channels using an antenna. This post is from a while ago (HHG and Radioshack are history). Is this still your basic advice for antennas or do you have updated suggestions? I don't want to spend a fortune (less than $100 total, and even less would be better, since the main driver is to save $$ by dropping cable). Do I need a pre-amp, fm trap, and amplifier in addition to the antenna? I mainly want to pull the major networks (NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC).

If I want to send the signal to 1 TV upstairs and 1 TV downstairs (hoping to use the cable wiring in the house to send the signal from upstairs to the distribution box and then downstairs). Do I amplify the signal upstairs or do I need an amplifier for each individual tv?
Yes I am sorry Radioshack and HHG are gone, particularly Radioshack. But that Terk HDTVa indoor antenna can still be ordered from Amazon, and a FM trap can be ordered from Antennas Direct.

But a more reliable antenna would be the Clearstream 4MAX or Clearstream 4V, sold at Best Buy or Amazon. Or a Winegard 7694. And a Winegard LNA200 preamp sold at Home Depot. Place the antenna outside or in the attic and connect to the existing in house cable system. At the junction box, add a Channel Master distribution amp unless Charter already has an amplifier installed. The Channel Master amps come in one port, 2 port, 4 port, or 8 port versions depending upon the number or rooms or TVs connected. You only need one distribution amp at the junction box, and in your case probably the one port version before the junction box or the 2 port version in place of the junction box.

The Winegard antenna will have higher VHF gain if 13 is problematic, but the Clearstream dipole seems to be adequate for most in this area. Just be sure and add a FM trap from Antennas Direct before the preamp.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:19 PM

It is important to remember that in Sept. 2019 all local TV stations will be changing broadcast channels. But the same basic antenna set ups should remain functional, except for possible concerns in the fringe areas.

Some stations may be reducing power, but it is supposed to correlate to the changing channel frequency and should not result in a loss of coverage. And most major channels have applied to the FCC to increase power, except WLOS which apparently will remain the same. WGGS may become problematic, as they are moving from UHF-16 to VHF-2. And low VHF is subject to problematic interference with digital TV. And WYCW channel 62 will go off the air, and will be broadcast as a subchannel of WSPA, which is moving from 7 to 11. And SCETV will shut down their Spartanburg channel WRET-49, and the entire Upstate will be served by WNTV-29, the SCETV station from Paris Mountain in Greenville.

And WBTV-3 from Charlotte will maintain their same strong signal on 23, as they are one of the few channels not changing. Their current signal reaches many areas of the Upstate, including parts of Greenville, Spartanburg, and Laurens counties.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes I am sorry Radioshack and HHG are gone, particularly Radioshack. But that Terk HDTVa indoor antenna can still be ordered from Amazon, and a FM trap can be ordered from Antennas Direct.

But a more reliable antenna would be the Clearstream 4MAX or Clearstream 4V, sold at Best Buy or Amazon. Or a Winegard 7694. And a Winegard LNA200 preamp sold at Home Depot. Place the antenna outside or in the attic and connect to the existing in house cable system. At the junction box, add a Channel Master distribution amp unless Charter already has an amplifier installed. The Channel Master amps come in one port, 2 port, 4 port, or 8 port versions depending upon the number or rooms or TVs connected. You only need one distribution amp at the junction box, and in your case probably the one port version before the junction box or the 2 port version in place of the junction box.

The Winegard antenna will have higher VHF gain if 13 is problematic, but the Clearstream dipole seems to be adequate for most in this area. Just be sure and add a FM trap from Antennas Direct before the preamp.
Thank you for the helpful advice. This equipment is more expensive than I had imagined.

The Clearstream 4V antenna is $150
The Winegard LNA200 preamp is $40
The FM trap is $15
The amplifier is $30

That's $235 worth of equipment.

The Winegard 7694 is $60 so I may start with that antenna and the pre-amp first to see if that works wired directly to the upstairs TV from the attic. That would keep to my $100 budget. I could then add the FM trap if needed to put me at around $115. If that works, I could add the amplifier later to run the signal to the downstairs TV through the house cable wiring.

If I really need that $150 antenna, it will have to wait a couple of months.

Is this antenna at Lowes worth a try?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/RCA-Outdoor...nna/1000329229

Old 12-13-2017, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 3,797 times
Whitewater, you may want to consider just getting a serious outdoor antenna. Consider the fact that you probably wont need a preamp or amp and may be able to get by without the FM trap. You probably wont need a rotator either with this antenna which is basically in your price range, $95.... https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...earstream+4max

You will need some decent antenna wire, $13... https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-C...VASSWXVTHJKPS6

And a splitter for additional TV's, $30.... https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...XVTHJKPS6&th=1

If you have a high roof without a lot of trees, you might be able to mount this in your attic and get decent reception.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Whitewater, you may want to consider just getting a serious outdoor antenna. Consider the fact that you probably wont need a preamp or amp and may be able to get by without the FM trap. You probably wont need a rotator either with this antenna which is basically in your price range, $95.... https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...earstream+4max

You will need some decent antenna wire, $13... https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-C...VASSWXVTHJKPS6

And a splitter for additional TV's, $30.... https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...XVTHJKPS6&th=1

If you have a high roof without a lot of trees, you might be able to mount this in your attic and get decent reception.
I think I still have 30 feet or more of Cat 6 cable laying around in my stash of electronic cables out in the garage. I'm initially just going to run the antenna to the upstairs TV until I get everything figured out so hopefully I won't need an amplifier or splitter until later.

We have a story and a half house so the attic is above the second story level. We are also close to the top of one of the higher hills in our area so hopefully that helps.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 3,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I think I still have 30 feet or more of Cat 6 cable laying around in my stash of electronic cables out in the garage. I'm initially just going to run the antenna to the upstairs TV until I get everything figured out so hopefully I won't need an amplifier or splitter until later.

We have a story and a half house so the attic is above the second story level. We are also close to the top of one of the higher hills in our area so hopefully that helps.
I have a channel master 4228 HD antenna that I am currently not using if you want to give it a try before buying. I live in Taylors.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I have a channel master 4228 HD antenna that I am currently not using if you want to give it a try before buying. I live in Taylors.

The Channel Master 4228 is a very good 8-bay UHF antenna. It can receive distant fringe UHF stations with an amplifier and proper application. It will also receive High VHF signals in a moderate to strong signal area, but it is not optimized for VHF. So it should receive all local UHF channels, as well as WSPA channel 7 and SCETV which broadcasts on VHF channel 9, but is identified as WNTV channel 29. It should also receive 13-WLOS in most cases, but that may be problematic in certain situations. I have a 4228 in my attic and I can say from personal experience it will definitely receive 13 at my location, as well as all local channels. It will also receive WBTV, WCNC, and WJZY from Charlotte. It is not my main antenna, but it is connected to the bonus room TV and is available for backup if needed.

The 4228 is a very good antenna for UHF, but you may have to add a separate antenna for VHF if you have problems with 7 or 13. But give it a try first. I also recommend a preamp and a FM trap before the preamp. For a cheaper but good quality preamp, I recommend the Channel Master distribution amps. But you may need to order a separate power supply if the antenna is outside or if there is no power outlet in the attic.

But since overload from strong signals may be a concern, the best preamp to tolerate and resist overload interference is the Clearstream Juice preamp from Antennas Direct. It is pricey at $79, but may be necessary to receive weaker signals such as 13 without interference from other strong local signals. It also has a built in LTE cellular filter, but you will need to add the FM trap. But I would try some cheaper options first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area