Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:21 PM

660 posts, read 658,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Cuse was in the final 4 in soccer this year, in the finals of women's basketball this year, and i'm sure they are competitive in hockey and other sports like lacrosse. It is easily one of the strongest athletic programs in the northeast if it is the best in NY state.

Syracuse definitely has a more name recogition around the country given it is much larger and has the top division athletic program and the academics are just as good there and there will be more major choices, and a wider variety of research options if you go to grad school.

The main advantage of Furman is a smaller school environment that some students want or need.
'Cuse is the best athletics program in the Northeast. Unlike UCONN and Pitt, Syracuse is competitive in sports other than basketball. Unlike UCONN and Temple, 'Cuse is in a Power 5 conference. And Boston College has just been irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 06:26 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
I might be off-base here because I only know a few people from Furman but I don't think most of the students there "feel the Bern". I have the impression it is a pretty conservative crowd interested in capitalism.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,747 times
Our daughter graduated in 2013.

Most of the comments here are accurate.The students are serious,conservative in there personal behavior and fairly conservative politically.It the university itself that is liberal.Alchohol is officially prohibited, but there was always wine in the fridge and vodka in the freezer.Our daughter was sixth in a senior class of 325 in high school.Her aid from Furman was 25k an about another 8K from the state of SC.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:04 PM

13 posts, read 17,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I might be off-base here because I only know a few people from Furman but I don't think most of the students there "feel the Bern". I have the impression it is a pretty conservative crowd interested in capitalism.
You are correct. If the poster "feels the bern" they should definitely go to Cuse! The demographics there will be more to their liking than Furman. Completely missed the posters name!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:08 PM

13 posts, read 17,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Our daughter graduated in 2013.

Most of the comments here are accurate.The students are serious,conservative in there personal behavior and fairly conservative politically.It the university itself that is liberal.Alchohol is officially prohibited, but there was always wine in the fridge and vodka in the freezer.Our daughter was sixth in a senior class of 325 in high school.Her aid from Furman was 25k an about another 8K from the state of SC.
Anyone that has gone to Furman or knows someone that had knows exactly what a great school it is. That opinion is shared by all of the administrators in HS and College that I know across the country. Cuse is a great school too, and college is more what you put in when you get there. But I'm very glad that was my daughter's choice. It is a school of leaders and if you are one, you cannot go wrong with FU.

Big is not always better. It's the quality of the experience and contacts you make there.

This will be my last post on the subject but if anyone needs info on Furman, please PM me.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:03 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Heaven forbid that students with varying opinions and backgrounds come together and learn at the same University.

Pandemonium | Define Pandemonium at Dictionary.com

Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
I didn't go to Furman but have friends and older co-workers that did. I can say that it is probably the prettiest campus in SC and perhaps the nation, hands down. With a large lake, rolling foothills, well manicured like a country club and the backdrop of Paris Mountain, its unreal.

It is a very expensive school but as someone mentioned has great scholarship opportunities to help. It seems to me that most of the people Ive met from there tend to be from out of state so they bring many different perspectives. My perception is that while its not raging liberal it is much more arts oriented and sometimes can come across as more liberal when compared to a place like Clemson or Wofford but I think overall its probably got a healthy mix of both conservatives and liberals.

The alumni network at Furman may be smaller than that of a larger school but I can say despite its size it tends to be strong loyal, and well connected, especially if you end up staying in SC.

I completely agree that bigger isnt always better. There is so much to be said for a small college, from the friends you make to almost just the big fish little pond mentality there where you know most everyone on campus, including professors and its much easier to stand out. IMO, you have more opportunities at a small school than a large one simply due to being a big fish in a small pond. I went to a small school and was able to do so much more I feel like than I would if I had gone to a larger school because I had so many less people to compete with where as at a large school there are 200 people like me I would be competing with.

I urge you to think about what type of college career you would like to have. Do you want to be a leader? What do you want to be involved with? Etc. I think Furman is great but just think on that before you make a final decision.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-12-2016, 06:29 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,747 times
Our daughter now lives and works in DC.She is part of an active and organized group of Furman alums there.We live nearby and go to several events there a year.visitors from out of town can't believe that a school of about 3K can have a campus like the one Furman has.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
Both schools have fairly recognizable names IMO.

However, I would imagine that Syracuse has more of a name than Furman. Furman carries a lot of weight up and down I-85. Met many a Furman grad who grew up in suburban Atlanta and or Charlotte. Not surprised that Furman would have networks all the way up to DC. Syracuse though I'm sure is probably more recognizable out west past the Mississippi than Furman would be. I'm from Ohio originally and had never heard of Furman until I moved down here a decade ago.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:29 AM

152 posts, read 247,413 times
Furman is gorgeous and prestigious! With that said; you should look into Clemson 35 miles away. Our daughter had 1980 SAT, 30 ACT and got scholarship. Bio major.This fall. Son in bio med engineering. Beautiful campus, tremendous football, IM sports and supportive professor's.
Go Tiger's!
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area