Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,303 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are fairly new to the area. We had a very limited amount of time to shop for and buy a house at the end of this past summer. We were interested in a property in Neely Farm in Simpsonville, but the deal on the house we were looking at fell through at the eleventh hour due to the seller not performing work he had promised to do as part of the contract. We ended up settling for another house elsewhere so that we could get our children settled and registered for school in just a few days.

We are already talking about moving again, and we want to do some research and drive around to look at other areas. We want some guidance for places to look. We are looking for other neighborhoods that are similar in feel to Neely Farm. Here's what is on our wish list:

* price points at $275K or less; I would prefer to be around $240K or less, but we could and would pay more for something we love
* a neighborhood where there are some builds with basements--we would like one!
* good public school assignments, especially for elementary school
* yards that have not been clear cut and have some trees and mature landscaping
* family amenities: a pool and playground, and nice sidewalks or walking trails, if possible
* a place where my husband is allowed by covenants to build a workshop or detached garage if we want one
* a family-friendly neighborhood, someplace with other families with children
* a commute to the Donaldson Airport area with no more than 20 minutes drive time (we realize that this might be the more difficult item to fulfill, but my husband would like to have a relatively short commute)

Are there any neighborhoods somebody can recommend that are similar to Neely Farm? We are not very familiar with Mauldin, and we would not mind looking there. We are not ready to move, but we want to start doing some exploring without involving a realtor who is eager to try to get us to buy and sell.

Thanks so much for any suggestions. We are also open to living in Greenville, but we are not sure that we can find something proximate to Donaldson Airport that is in line with what we are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 07:47 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Hi librarygirl-actually the commute to Donaldson is doable from a lot of neighborhoods; I live in Greenville and it takes about 15 min. or less to get there from my house. Mauldin would be a great choice as well; what you are looking for would be an older neighborhood and there are definitely some there. OTOH the amenities you are looking for are more common in Simsponville,
Do you have a particular elementary school that you prefer? I can do a search for neighborhoods if you can give me that info.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:33 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,273 times
Check out Holly Tree, and Holly Trace. These neighborhoods offer the Holly Tree Country Club for golf, pools, etc. for an additional fee. This is considered Simpsonville, but not IN Simpsonville. It is bordered by Holland Road, Bethel Road and Highway 13. Mauldin is right around the corner. I believe Bethel elementary is the neighborhood school. Beth, am I describing this correctly?
We live in the area at Hollywoods Condos and from our place to Donaldson is 7.9 miles, or about 20 miles. I hope this helps.

Marie

Old 03-12-2017, 10:38 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
It will be rare to find a home with a basement and as to building a workshop or detached garage with an HOA that would be unlikely. There are neighborhoods that have no HOA and I assume you can build what you like so long as it is approved by the city but you will forgo community pool and playground. Take a look at this listing @105 Brindle Drive Simpsonville https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11019342_zpid/ that has no HOA and from aerial views I see houses in the neighborhood with detached garages in addition to the garage attached.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:24 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
Check out Holly Tree, and Holly Trace. These neighborhoods offer the Holly Tree Country Club for golf, pools, etc. for an additional fee. This is considered Simpsonville, but not IN Simpsonville. It is bordered by Holland Road, Bethel Road and Highway 13. Mauldin is right around the corner. I believe Bethel elementary is the neighborhood school. Beth, am I describing this correctly?
We live in the area at Hollywoods Condos and from our place to Donaldson is 7.9 miles, or about 20 miles. I hope this helps.

Marie
Yes; that is correct, exceot that it should be Highway 14. Thank you, Marie.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:21 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Yes; that is correct, exceot that it should be Highway 14. Thank you, Marie.
Thanks Beth. It was a typo. I was in a hurry. I don't think we have a Highway 13, lol.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
It will be rare to find a home with a basement and as to building a workshop or detached garage with an HOA that would be unlikely. There are neighborhoods that have no HOA and I assume you can build what you like so long as it is approved by the city but you will forgo community pool and playground. Take a look at this listing @105 Brindle Drive Simpsonville https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11019342_zpid/ that has no HOA and from aerial views I see houses in the neighborhood with detached garages in addition to the garage attached.
We have an HOA with homes, many with walkout basements (all individually built custom homes without excessive grading) and some lots are suitable for having a detached garaage but it must be an architectural match with the house and be approved by the architechtual committee-something that probably could be done as a condition of purchase and a lot of kids but I don't know any present homes for sale that meet that criteria and they are not in the requested price range. Anything built in recent years is going to be on a bulldozed property with a slab foundation

In any regard. I weeded out a lot of homes when we bought this one by going onto sites like Exit realty and they google maps for streetview and GC GIS for lot sizes etc. Any subdivisions covenants are filed with the register of deeds and you can pull them down for review.

They are building behind us off of Lee Vaughn road and the amount of grading has been excessive and unbelievable. Massive deforestation and the remaining trees will probably die in a few years due to grading activities. I am appalled that the tree regulations in GVille County are a sham.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:56 AM
LCM

77 posts, read 185,422 times
Not sure about the covenants, but Poinsettia might be an option. Established neighborhood with mature trees and a family feel. We have friends there and often think we would've liked to live there.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:43 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post

Marie
Marie also meant "or about 20 minutes."

Old 04-05-2017, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,471 times
Hi there,

Just wondering where you ended up buying and why you don't like it? My family is relocating this summer and we are interested in a home in Hudder Creek which is close to Neely farms. I want a community like Neely farms as well. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area