Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times

Advertisements

Live off of Lee Vaughn road and have had Charter since 2008. In the past few weeks I have had frequent internet outages of short duration (5-15 minutes). Since I telecommute they are more than a minor inconvenience but contacting charter is a major one (yes charter, I do in fact know how to reset my modem)

(1) There is a TON of construction around me. All along Lee Vaughn, Corner of Lee Vaughn and Woodruff and some up Woodruff. Could this be the cause and, if so, is anyone else having these problems

(2) How could I tell if it is my modem? I know I am communicate with my router with no problems. Rebooting it does not fix the problem and it normally self resolves. Modem is about 3-4 years old.

(3) A corworker who is in DC and telecommutes told me that someone told her susnpot activity has been causing a lot of problems lately. Could that be the source? It is never long enough in duration to open a Charter ticket and since I buy my own modem....I know I do have to call them when I replace it.

EDIT-oh the modem is a motorola SB6121 which looks like it is now called Arris but I think it is the same modem. Plenty fine for the internet speed offered by charter(Spectrum)

Last edited by grannynancy; 04-17-2017 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 02:11 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
I cancelled Charter last year because it disconnected frequently every day. I've not had any issues with U-Verse except for a 3 day outage after a storm.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 PM

40 posts, read 80,442 times
Go to the Charter office on Woodruff and bring your old modem in and have them replace it with a new one. It is free of charge and appears to work. I had the same issue as you did and this worked. I work telecommuting as well and it was a major problem and calling Charter is completely useless.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:05 PM

Until recently I have not had a problem. Just checked my address, though, and high speed internet is not an option.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificcoastjim View Post
Go to the Charter office on Woodruff and bring your old modem in and have them replace it with a new one. It is free of charge and appears to work. I had the same issue as you did and this worked. I work telecommuting as well and it was a major problem and calling Charter is completely useless.
Actually the modem is my own not theirs. But I am not sure that is the issue. I was getting 66MBPS on the computer with direct connection today [but about 8 disconnects]...I do guess I can take it in and maybe they can test it.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Actually the modem is my own not theirs. But I am not sure that is the issue. I was getting 66MBPS on the computer with direct connection today [but about 8 disconnects]...I do guess I can take it in and maybe they can test it.
Intermittent disconnects can be caused by a lot of things.. I have Charter, and I was getting them too a while back. They sent a guy out, he tested and discovered the signal level coming into my house was a little low. Turned out there was a loose connector in their box up the street. He put a new one on, tested again, the signal level was where it should be, and I haven't had any trouble since.. And if I recall, this was almost a year ago.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I've always had this problem with Charter. They will blame it on your router and say it's not their fault. It's not the router though because I replaced mine three times. It gets annoying when it happens. My internet connection drops intermittently, even if it's only 10 seconds. Some days it's worse. They changed the cable outside which seemed to help somewhat. I hope you get yours working.

Last edited by beckycat; 04-17-2017 at 08:17 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 AM

I do have a strong and steady connection to my router during the interruptions. Sounds like I need to check with charter...

Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 AM

Found this. Looking at first; did get to the diagnostic page

https://www.howtogeek.com/240575/how...ng-goes-wrong/

Old 04-18-2017, 08:10 AM

826 posts, read 1,126,074 times
Charter started including modems into their internet pricing a few years ago. So you may want to look at getting one of their modems. It may make the troubleshooting process with charter easier if you have their modem. Its possible you could still be on the old pricing model that doesn't include the modem, so depending on what your paying you may not want to go this route.

If you think the modem is fine and its signal issue. You could try removing splitters & coaxial surge protectors etc, anything like that reduces signal to see if that helps. You could also try swapping cables. With signal strength issues the problem can be anywhere between the street and your cable modem, to really track it down you need a tech to come out. They should use signal strength meter so they can measure the strength at different points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area