Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,287 times

Advertisements

The reason BiLo is failing is its corporate culture. Here a 2 examples that come to mind.

1-The Fairview Rd location has always had the same competitors in the area and never did much to distinguish itself. It drew a good client base without making any changes. The store layout had been pretty much the same since the day it opened 14 years ago. When it became known that Publix would be moving to a new building across from them, they did nothing. They waited essentially until the day after Publix opened before they decided they needed to take action to keep their customers. They reset their store and added some features but that is REACTIONARY. To keep its relevance, Bilo has to be the leader and innovate before the competition gets there or before its competitor innovates.

2-A few years ago, I was looking to switch jobs. I had been a manager in retail & food industry for over 10 years. I had a friend tell me to apply at Bilo. I went to an interview for what I thought was for a management position. It tuned out it was for an hourly position in one of the departments of the store. I asked why I was being considered for an hourly position and not management and there response was very telling on why they are struggling. "We promote from hourly associates. The associates get to learn our culture and when they get to management, they can keep the culture going". I commented: "That hinders bringing in new ideas and innovating." I left the interview at that point.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 03:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
BI-LO has had difficulty filling hourly positions. Front end, deli, and grocery had constant turnover. (Associates were pulled from other departments to do responsibilities they lack experience and training.) Pay freezes were in effect for approximately three years. Store management teams did not provide direction and support to improve their store teams. Competition arrived to provide better alternatives for customers and associates.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:27 PM

115 posts, read 104,250 times
So anyone have any idea when some of the Bi-Lo that are mention on here that is going to close? My neighbor works at one the of Bi-Lo and I have been hinting to her, but she doesn't believe it because no one have said anything about closing.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:33 PM

January could be the time to close stores. The holiday season will have passed. Stores up for closure could have less inventory to clear out.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:44 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverML View Post
So anyone have any idea when some of the Bi-Lo that are mention on here that is going to close? My neighbor works at one the of Bi-Lo and I have been hinting to her, but she doesn't believe it because no one have said anything about closing.
Short answer, no.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:04 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
BI-LO has had difficulty filling hourly positions. Front end, deli, and grocery had constant turnover. (Associates were pulled from other departments to do responsibilities they lack experience and training.) Pay freezes were in effect for approximately three years. Store management teams did not provide direction and support to improve their store teams. Competition arrived to provide better alternatives for customers and associates.
Before I had read these threads today, I ran into BiLo on Fairview Rd to get a few things. Asking the cashier how her day was going, she replied that she was quitting BiLo later this week due to not enough hours and no benefits.

The nice thing was that the store was not very busy!

I'm really enjoying shopping at Lidl now, but what I like at BiLo is their bakery. They have low prices on deserts which is a nice treat now and then!

Old 11-13-2017, 11:32 AM

BI-LO #5624, 699 Fairview Road, Simpsonville, South Carolina 29680-6706, was a nice store many years ago. I have not been there in ten years.

The trend of associates departing for not enough hours, no benefits, and probably not enough pay is not surprising.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:22 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
They currently have 2 BI-LO stores on Woodruff Rd. I wonder if one of these locations could be subject to close. As mentioned it seems the store at Butler Rd. may be a competitive disadvantage with Aldi, Lidl, Walmart, Fresh Market, and Publix nearby. Getting slammed at both the high and low ends with BI-LO stuck in the middle. And the Five Forks store competes with Publix and Lowe's Foods. I could see one of these stores perhaps closing.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:33 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,675 times
I was in one of the "super" Bilos this weekend on hwy 24 south of Anderson.My memory is that this was one of the last stores built.Whch stores are newer and what might the last store that Bilo built.

How Many Super Bilos were built?

Old 06-24-2019, 05:55 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
I was in one of the "super" Bilos this weekend on hwy 24 south of Anderson.My memory is that this was one of the last stores built.Whch stores are newer and what might the last store that Bilo built.

How Many Super Bilos were built?
Does it look like the Verdae store? They added the "super" name to some of the older 90's stores like Pelham Rd. as well so some were not so new. Built in early 2000's Verdae, Hwy 14 (Simpsonville), Village @ Sandhill (Columbia) and Windy Hill (N.Myrtle Beach) were some of the last ones they built I know of. I think most of those have dropped the "super"

Last edited by vistatiger; 06-24-2019 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area