Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:41 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Aldi's and Walmart got the bulk of the little business I do give the stores. I've about given up on Walmart when they stopped price matching, its what got me in there, other than when picking up prescriptions.

I rarely buy meats or chicken, more interested in the produce items. If Lidl "produces" a store in Greer I'd shop Lidl and Aldis, most likely. Both do not have a few products I use weekly so I just wait for it to be on a BOGO and stock up so I don't have to run to all these stores for a couple items, which I hate (hate shopping anyhow). That's what was great about Walmart price matching, would just take the current ads and shop at one place.
I'm not a big shopper, either. I anticipate going between Aldi & Lidl & doing fill in with Ingles in Kings Mountain & Wow Supermarket, a Hispanic store in Gastonia, which is the only place that l can get cubanelle peppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 09:17 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not a big shopper, either. I anticipate going between Aldi & Lidl & doing fill in with Ingles in Kings Mountain & Wow Supermarket, a Hispanic store in Gastonia, which is the only place that l can get cubanelle peppers.
I'm with you. I basically do all my grocery shopping at Aldi. I get the couple things that Aldi doesn't have at Walmart. Now that Walmart is not price matching, that's a bummer. I stock up on steaks when they are on sale at BiLo or Ingles. I buy chicken and ground beef from Aldi unless there is a great deal at the other stores. My family isn't big pork eaters. I will try Lidl again. I just don't get why people want to pay 3 times the amount stores like Ingles, BiLo, Whole Foods, etc when the quality is equal or even better at Lidl or Aldi.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'm with you. I basically do all my grocery shopping at Aldi. I get the couple things that Aldi doesn't have at Walmart. Now that Walmart is not price matching, that's a bummer. I stock up on steaks when they are on sale at BiLo or Ingles. I buy chicken and ground beef from Aldi unless there is a great deal at the other stores. My family isn't big pork eaters. I will try Lidl again. I just don't get why people want to pay 3 times the amount stores like Ingles, BiLo, Whole Foods, etc when the quality is equal or even better at Lidl or Aldi.
I got 2 packages of boneless skinless chicken breasts at Aldi on Friday. They had marked them down because deliveries were changed because of the holiday. Roughly 5 pounds for ~$2.75. I usually buy thighs but couldn't pass that up & knew that I could fit 2 packs in the freezer until I decided what to do with them.

I also asked the manager what happened with the Burmans regular bbq sauces. I always bought the hickory & brown sugar. She said that they dropped it & replaced it with a mustard base sauce that isn't moving. The prevailing bbq styles here are Lexington & Kansas City, as the bbq cook-offs here use the KC style. She said that she's baffled. Is Lidl carrying a hickory bbq sauce? Our Lidls haven't opened yet.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:57 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
I see Walmart Neighborhood Market on Wade Hampton Blvd. isn't standing by and watching. They have rolled back A LOT of their prices since LIDL opened.

Last edited by g-man430; 07-06-2017 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 03:24 AM

604 posts, read 584,636 times
We made our first visit to Lidl the other day. We got black angus chuck roast for $3.99, and bleu cheese burger slices. We ground the meat to make burgers, and melted the bleu cheese on top. Heaven!

Old 07-07-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I got 2 packages of boneless skinless chicken breasts at Aldi on Friday. They had marked them down because deliveries were changed because of the holiday. Roughly 5 pounds for ~$2.75. I usually buy thighs but couldn't pass that up & knew that I could fit 2 packs in the freezer until I decided what to do with them.

I also asked the manager what happened with the Burmans regular bbq sauces. I always bought the hickory & brown sugar. She said that they dropped it & replaced it with a mustard base sauce that isn't moving. The prevailing bbq styles here are Lexington & Kansas City, as the bbq cook-offs here use the KC style. She said that she's baffled. Is Lidl carrying a hickory bbq sauce? Our Lidls haven't opened yet.
Yesterday I searched Lidl's website & found Hickory brown sugar with a Lidl brand. If anyone who is familiar with what Aldi sold has tried it, is it the same?

Old 07-22-2017, 06:20 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
I went into Lidl today (just a quick run) to look at the store. I found it similar to Aldi but since I did not do a in-depth price review, I will just say it reminded me of Aldi but better. I did buy a blueberry donut for 59 cents. The donut started out good but was a bit doughy and I would not buy it again. The paper products were cheap such as toilet paper and paper towels. I will go back in the future someday but for now, I have an Aldi a mile away in Easley.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I went into Lidl today (just a quick run) to look at the store. I found it similar to Aldi but since I did not do a in-depth price review, I will just say it reminded me of Aldi but better. I did buy a blueberry donut for 59 cents. The donut started out good but was a bit doughy and I would not buy it again. The paper products were cheap such as toilet paper and paper towels. I will go back in the future someday but for now, I have an Aldi a mile away in Easley.
Have you been in Aldi stores that have had the remodel?

Old 07-23-2017, 07:06 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
All of the Aldi stores are either new in this area or have been remodeled. Easley is practically new and currently already getting an expansion and remodel.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
All of the Aldi stores are either new in this area or have been remodeled. Easley is practically new and currently already getting an expansion and remodel.
I was curious if that poster was comparing Lidl to a regular Aldi or one with a remodel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area