Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 02:53 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times

Advertisements

Can anyone point to an example of a place with great public transportation, which has a population density similar to Greenville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 06:10 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Can anyone point to an example of a place with great public transportation, which has a population density similar to Greenville?
Just got back from Portland ME and they have a much better public transportation there.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times
For people saying, "show me examples of other cities that are similar to Greenville yet have stronger mass transit":

Study: Greenville transit underfunded compared to peers

Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Not sure about "great", but we've spent the last 3 months traveling through WA, OR, and now northern CA. I was initially surprised that and even small towns in these states have bus systems that are close or equal to what's available in the Upstate.

For instance we're currently in Crescent City CA, a "city" of < 8000 people. There's no other town close to this size within an hour of here, yet they have 5 bus routes, with buses running every hour.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
I'm curious as to what people expect out of our transit. Seems some people think we should have subways and light rail, dedicated bus lanes, ferries, and widespread taxi service everywhere. It's just not realistic in South Carolina. At least right now.

What's really quicker? Driving from downtown to Woodruff Road, or taking a bus that goes maybe 40 mph and makes multiple stops? Even with more bus options, most people won't ditch their car.

Transit could be better, but we're just not built for it. Most sunbelt cities arent. I do wonder though if commuter rail or bus would ever work. There's just so much low density ruralness between Anderson, Greenville, and Spartanburg. Ridesharing could also be feasible.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
For people saying, "show me examples of other cities that are similar to Greenville yet have stronger mass transit":

Study: Greenville transit underfunded compared to peers
I saw you say that you don't live in Greenville. Have you ever used the bus and/or trolley in Greenville? How is this an issue for you if you don't live in Greenville?

Greenville has 11 bus routes with one going as far out as downtown Simpsonville. It has a bus that picks up handicapped people at their homes. It has a free downtown trolley with several routes. It has a bikeshare program downtown. I don't understand how that is underfunded.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:13 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times
Simpsonvillian, I have used mass transit in Greenville many times.

You constantly post that you "don't understand" things. Please consider doing some research about the issues that you don't understand, rather than stating, over and over, that you "don't understand".

Many thanks.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:30 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Transit probably could be better. Need to work on the stigma that buses are only for the certain people. I plan to try it.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:32 PM

I don't think there is any stigma about riding the bus because of poor people using it. Most middle class people own cars and they prefer to drive. I enjoy driving my car.

For me, the only 'stigma' about riding a bus is it like being in middle school again.

I have taken the bus a few times between downtown and Haywood and never had any problems. It did what it was supposed to do.

I support raising fares for middle class people who use mass transit. It needs to move to more of a user fee private sector setup. I don't think Amtrak would exist in the southeast including NC without heavy subsidization by taxpayers.

Right now Greenville offers a free downtown trolley and that is probably used mostly by middle class people and perhaps even rich people who live down there.

I wish there was a way to do a car share program for poor people so they have more convenience than buses can provide. That probably would be difficult to do from an insurance standpoint.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-10-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 02:05 PM

Here is the map of the downtown trolley. It is running out farther from Main Street than I realized. One goes out to the Augusta Road shopping area near Faris Road.

Trolley | Greenville, SC - Official Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area