Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 02:18 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times

Advertisements

Do you have any experience with external tuner boxes? I need to get one of those for the downstairs monitor (not technically a TV since it has no tuner). I'm thinking of getting one that combines an external tuner with a recording device to have some DVR functionality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 PM

387 posts, read 331,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Do you have any experience with external tuner boxes? I need to get one of those for the downstairs monitor (not technically a TV since it has no tuner). I'm thinking of getting one that combines an external tuner with a recording device to have some DVR functionality.
I have one of these that works well:
https://www.channelmaster.com/DVR_Pl...cm-7500tb1.htm

Discontinued, but available used or there is an alternative model into which one can plug in an external hard drive for the dvr.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:33 AM

37 posts, read 38,526 times
Is youtube TV available there and if so any thoughts on it?

Old 08-01-2018, 09:47 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown27 View Post
I have one of these that works well:
https://www.channelmaster.com/DVR_Pl...cm-7500tb1.htm

Discontinued, but available used or there is an alternative model into which one can plug in an external hard drive for the dvr.
That's a pretty expensive option.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:14 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmtndude View Post
Is youtube TV available there and if so any thoughts on it?
It's available here in the upstate. You get most of the local channels on it - 4,7, 13, 21 and 40. Been testing it for a few months now, debating dumping DirecTV. It's not perfect. During the World Cup it was rough if you were trying to watch certain games (more popular teams around here like England or Mexico). It would go out (start buffering), and then it was very difficult to get back in. That wasn't a problem limited to this area, it was going on all over the country. Makes me wonder if it would happen on a very heavy viewing event like the Super Bowl. Also there is a built in DVR that stores in the cloud, but it's hit or miss. It doesn't always record what we ask it to.

I had tried Playstation Go which seemed more stable but didn't include locals around here, yet, although those will probably be coming. I live in an neighborhood where antenna reception just won't work for locals around here due to sitting low plus nothing but very tall mature trees in the area, so I'm forced to try to find a streaming service with locals. Might try the DirecTV Now next.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
That's a pretty expensive option.
Looks like the new version (byo HD) is cheaper?

https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm

In my experience Channel master had far superior software and interface compared to the cheapo no-name devices I tried. It was worth it to me to pay more to avoid the aggravation I experienced. If I were to buy another one I'd definitely consider Channel master again.

But each to their own, I suppose?

Old 08-04-2018, 09:53 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown27 View Post
Looks like the new version (byo HD) is cheaper?

https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm

In my experience Channel master had far superior software and interface compared to the cheapo no-name devices I tried. It was worth it to me to pay more to avoid the aggravation I experienced. If I were to buy another one I'd definitely consider Channel master again.

But each to their own, I suppose?
You can by a cheap HD converter box at Walmart from RCA and eMatic brands. They have HDMI connection and limited DVR capability. Also Amazon sells similar HD converter boxes with DVRs from iView, Mediasonic, ViewTV, and other brands. All very similar and priced around $39.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
You can by a cheap HD converter box at Walmart from RCA and eMatic brands. They have HDMI connection and limited DVR capability. Also Amazon sells similar HD converter boxes with DVRs from iView, Mediasonic, ViewTV, and other brands. All very similar and priced around $39.
Others may have better experiences than I did with the cheap ones. If one of those works for you then awesome!

I bought mine a few years ago now, so I can definitely imagine newer offerings could be better.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 1,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
And probably a 15 or 25ft cable run is necessary so the amp does not overpower and interfere with reception of certain channels.
So if, in theory, he had a shorter cable run with a preamp connected, and experienced overpower/interference or pixelation issues, even though he got much stronger signals due to the amp connected, could this be alleviated with an intentional extra long cable run?...which would then allow the amp to work correctly without overpowering and causing pixelation issues?
If so, what would be a good cable length recommendation?

Old 09-12-2018, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 1,971 times
Or I'm guessing if he had overload issues it might just be best to pick up an Antop 601 Smartpass amp w/adjustable gain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area