Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 02:53 PM

764 posts, read 509,158 times

Advertisements

A side note, what is considered news worthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 04:11 PM

12,922 posts, read 18,765,744 times
This article came out today. It sheds some light on The Post and Courier’s status.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...ba7e21b9f.html

Old 12-19-2022, 04:06 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
This article came out today. It sheds some light on The Post and Courier’s status.

Wish they woud add a print edition for the Upstate, perhaps just Sunday. Sounds like there is some sort of weekly print edition in Columbia.

Old 12-23-2022, 04:21 PM

17,592 posts, read 15,266,523 times
I've mentioned before, my sister is a reporter for the HJ.. they apparently left their offices during the pandemic and aren't going back.

that building was.. Poor condition. I heard tell that people would come back in on Monday morning and there'd be rubble from the ceiling on their desks.

Anyway.. I don't know entirely what all she covers now.. She was the 'city desk' and now it seems she's doing almost nothing but restaurants.

Old 12-26-2022, 06:35 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
There were no non local Sunday newspapers distributed in the Upstate yesterday, from what I am aware. Since it was Christmas Day holiday. No New York Times, Wall Street Journal weekend, or Charlotte Observer. In years past they would still make an effort to deliver Sunday papers on holidays, since it is the major paper of the week. But apparently no more. Although Publix and Harris Teeter were closed, there was still QT, Spinx And Drop In Store open that also carry newspapers.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:24 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
There were no non local Sunday newspapers distributed in the Upstate yesterday, from what I am aware. Since it was Christmas Day holiday. No New York Times, Wall Street Journal weekend, or Charlotte Observer. In years past they would still make an effort to deliver Sunday papers on holidays, since it is the major paper of the week. But apparently no more. Although Publix and Harris Teeter were closed, there was still QT, Spinx And Drop In Store open that also carry newspapers.
I have occasionally subscribed to the Sunday New York Times over the years (Spartanburg). Home delivery was spotty at best, even though it was delivered by the same people who delivered the Herald Journal. Finally gave up for good last year. I went six weeks in a row without getting the paper, got it the next one, and nothing the week after. I normally wouldn't have let it go for six weeks but it had become a game wondering whether or not anything had changed, after my multiple complaints, plus they were refunding me to the point where they actually overpaid me. Never again.

Old 07-03-2023, 01:02 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post

Good Ted Koppel story on CBS Sunday morning yesterday on the P&C and other SC newspapers and the importance of their survival and their important role in keeping public officials in check.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/south-...gm-to-survive/

Old 07-03-2023, 03:34 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Good Ted Koppel story on CBS Sunday morning yesterday on the P&C and other SC newspapers and the importance of their survival and their important role in keeping public officials in check.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/south-...gm-to-survive/
That was a really good piece on CBS News. We owe a huge thank you to the family owner of the Post and Courier for keeping great journalism alive.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:05 PM

764 posts, read 509,158 times
Yeah, I concur.

Someone once said to the effect that "Good journalism is the conscious of a society".
Sure, digital is going to dominate but print edition has its own convenience as well.

Old 07-04-2023, 10:28 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 15 days ago)

732 posts, read 348,083 times
In my view, P&C and most newspapers generally don't do journalism. They are generally slanted to one side. Polls have shown most people in the news business lean heavily to that one side.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 07-04-2023 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area