Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,735 times

Advertisements

My wife, daughter, and I are considering a move to Greenville from California. Though I think we would really enjoy the area, I am concerned that my children will have a tough time fitting in because of their race. (I'm asian and my wife is white). Also, we are planning on adopting children from Africa in the near future.

Is this something that I should be worried about? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 03:10 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,440 times
Well there isn't a large amount of Asians (there are definitely some), but they'd probably be okay. They might get teased a little but I would think they'd be okay.

Last edited by guestposter24; 06-30-2008 at 03:23 PM..

Old 06-30-2008, 03:24 PM

617 posts, read 2,572,834 times
I don't think they'll be teased...maybe by the stupid kids (pardon me, but the ones who do the teasing are usually the less-educated ones), but hell, they tease everybody.

I have friends all kinds of colors/races. I have a friend who is half colombian, another is half armenian, another is half mexican, etc. They'll find the right crowd that will accept them as long as they're friendly and try to make friends! I'm white and have had black and hispanic friends since first grade and have never had any problems with bullying, teasing, or anything else at any of my schools. (If you're curious, those were Summit Drive Elementary, League Academy, and Greenville High School. And I just graduated in '06.)

Old 06-30-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
I don't think they'll be teased...maybe by the stupid kids (pardon me, but the ones who do the teasing are usually the less-educated ones), but hell, they tease everybody.

I have friends all kinds of colors/races. I have a friend who is half colombian, another is half armenian, another is half mexican, etc. They'll find the right crowd that will accept them as long as they're friendly and try to make friends! I'm white and have had black and hispanic friends since first grade and have never had any problems with bullying, teasing, or anything else at any of my schools. (If you're curious, those were Summit Drive Elementary, League Academy, and Greenville High School. And I just graduated in '06.)
Well I saw an Asian kid get teased once before, actually by his friends...but I'm not sure he really liked it or not.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,427 times
They'll be fine...we are a little more diverse than that.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
My kids are mixed and have never been teased. Why do people think were so backwoods when were actually very progressive? Why do some posters(you know who you are) keep supporting that thought. Cut it out. Please!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
My kids are mixed and have never been teased. Why do people think were so backwoods when were actually very progressive? Why do some posters(you know who you are) keep supporting that thought. Cut it out. Please!
Heaven forbid I tell the truth of what I've seen.

Please stop using the term "backwoods" as a synonym for non-progressive. If that was the case then any racist in New York City would be "backwoods".

Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 PM

30 posts, read 108,607 times
Hepcat77: I moved to the Greenville area from NYC late last year and had similar concerns that were immediately laid to rest when I arrived. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the area is more diverse than I expected. In my subdivision there are many families of mixed racial heritage (including several who have adopted children of other races.)

I certainly haven't seen any evidence that there's more racism here than anywhere else. You and your family have nothing to worry about.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:47 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Hep,
I pm'd you. Wife's filipino, I'm not. Our 7 month old baby is adorable.

Pay no mind to guestposter. Coming from LA we were shocked by how diverse this place is per capita. There are a ton of asian restaurants and they're all good. We've never had a problem with race. This place is great. Fear not.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Hep,
I pm'd you. Wife's filipino, I'm not. Our 7 month old baby is adorable.

Pay no mind to guestposter. Coming from LA we were shocked by how diverse this place is per capita. There are a ton of asian restaurants and they're all good. We've never had a problem with race. This place is great. Fear not.
Which is why I said that there were definitely Asians.

Instead of painting a rosy picture to get people here, I tell what I've seen. Plus, I've been in Greenville longer than some of the newcomers saying they've not seen any racism.

I don't remember saying in that first post that their kids would be ostracized and called slurs everyday. I said they might get teased a little but they'd probably do fine. My guess is that you're not in school right now and I am so no offense but I might be able to tell them a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area