Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 PM

14 posts, read 35,174 times

Advertisements

Hi I just wanted to know if anyone on here works at the BMW plant or knows someone that does. I am looking to relocate my family to Greenville SPartanburg area and would love to work for BMW.

The other Question I had was, We love being in/on the water, lakes, etc. Are alligators a problem out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:34 AM

745 posts, read 2,239,996 times
I'm assuming you are an engineer? BMW has a LOT of engineers, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get in there, especially now, with the way the economy is. They list job openings on their website.

There aren't any alligators in the upstate- too cold. The only gators in SC are closer to the coast.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 AM

98 posts, read 254,332 times
The best way is to watch Monster.com or the company website. There should be openings soon with the new plant. If you are looking for a production job they will soon be hiring temps. I would not go that route though if I were you. It won't lead to a perm. job.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:47 AM

44 posts, read 103,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gash_engineer View Post
Hi I just wanted to know if anyone on here works at the BMW plant or knows someone that does. I am looking to relocate my family to Greenville SPartanburg area and would love to work for BMW.

The other Question I had was, We love being in/on the water, lakes, etc. Are alligators a problem out there?
But wait, is this a joke?? Yesterday you posted that you just moved to Texas??

Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 PM

I have moved to austin Tx. but... its sadly not what I am looking for... My family and I have been here for about 4 months now and well, the search continues

Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,824,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gash_engineer View Post
I have moved to austin Tx. but... its sadly not what I am looking for... My family and I have been here for about 4 months now and well, the search continues
I have lived in both places. What have you learned about Austin in the past four months that has turned you off? Not saying there aren't plenty of reasons to not like the place, just wondering that you think...

What about Greenville (other than BMW!) makes you think it's right for you?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:00 PM

44 posts, read 103,696 times
I agree with Art123, I have not lived in Austin, but you can't pick a city to live out of a magazine! Top 10 or whatever, you have to know in your heart what kind of city, state etc is for you. Too many people read that stuff in magazines that someone has rated (more than likely without EVER stepping foot in a city), relocate without ever visiting, or visiting once and get here or wherever and hate it! I'd recommend that you read up on the culture, visit a place numerous times, take a vacation there to really explore and then make a decision!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:25 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,984,178 times
I have to agree with what everyone else has been saying.

I moved here in Dec., but before that, I spent months checking out other states (I'm from Michigan originally) and cities before taking the plunge.

It sounds like you have children, and if you do, you really need to visit and spend some time in different places before you decide they are the place for you. It is hard on kids to move from place to place. My kids, mostly my oldest, dealt with that for much of their childhood as we moved with my exes job as a helicopter pilot. You are not nomads, and children like familiarity. Take vacations to visit places you think you might like, but don't move on a lark.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 PM

I will definately visit there before making any decisions. I moved to the states from South Africa about six years ago on an athletic scholarship. That was in Utah, I met my wife and we lived in Spanish Fork UT for about 3 years. Our kids suffered socially at school and after school as we werent members of the predomonant religion in that state. We decided for a change and came out to Austin, Its just really expensive with most houses that we have looked at having between 3 and 5k in annual taxes.
ALso I just havent felt the urge to set our roots here. Driving out almost 10 dollars in gas a day just getting around. I also thought I wouldnt miss the mountains,having lived in Cape Town RSA and Utah most of my life, but I DO!!

We are very outdoorsy folk and sometimes even take the tv outside at night and watch a movie and sleep outside on the trampoline.

TExas coast line is not something that I am used to either.

Ive ruled out Florida, any state in-land. and any state to far north. I hate cold winters but dont mind short spells. we are just eager to find our small town were there are hard working people who know how to have a good time and raise kids with some hard working folk.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,486,346 times
Well the Greenville area isn't a small town, unless you are from New York or Los Angeles and refer to anything under 3 million as a "small town." You can certainly find smaller towns on the outskirts, but if you're after small town living then you will need to be at least 25-30 minutes from the urban core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area