Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 12,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
The personal property taxes on vehicles are based on the weight, age, and value of your vehicle...not unlike the impact fee that one pays (one time, mind you) when moving into Florida from another state. I'm not sure exactly what the formula is, but suffice it to say that the newer and more expensive your vehicle, the higher the tax will be.

Go to this site: http://www.greenvillecounty.org/voTaxQry/wcmain.asp

Select the "Automobile" Radio Button. Enter any name into the "Name" Edit Box, such as "John Adams" and then click on the "Send" Button. Then scroll down through the listings and take notice of the year, make, etc. of the vehicles and maybe you'll find some that match up closely to what you have and can get a good estimate from there. If all else fails, contact the Greenville County Tax collector and provide them with the details (year, make, model, mileage, etc.) ask if they can provide an estimate of what your taxes may be when you move. I'm not sure if they'll be able to tell you, but it's worth a shot.

Just for an example, the taxes on my 1996 Ford Taurus went down (and up in 2006) over the years as follows:

2002: $132
2003: $113
2004: $102
2005: $61
2006: $76
2007: $46

On the other hand, my wife's 2003 Ford Windstar went as follows:

2003: $861
2004: $688
2005: $429
2006: $377
2007: $278

(my wife's 2000 Ford Exploder was over $1000 the first year we were here in 2001 - absolutely caught us by surprise).

The state income tax reduces your take home pay, but overall, the homeowner's property tax for the primary residence (very important - be sure to flag your tax forms that your residence here is your primary residence if it is, otherwise, you'll pay double in taxes) and cost of living is pretty good up here as compared to Central Florida...I would imagine it would be even moreso than compared to South Florida.
Up north, Indiana at least, does the same thing with taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:10 PM

167 posts, read 971,673 times
RestedTraveler: Great photos and enjoy your informative posts....we reside in SW MCO and are considering Greenville to put our anchor down; will visit this summer and check it out, but from the sound of it, you seem to have made the right choice by leaving FL. Bet you don't miss those "Love Bugs" that are in our face of late....

Old 05-22-2007, 02:00 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,640 times
Oh yea...there's another advantage. NO LOVE BUGS!!! You bet! We do have fire flys (AKA "lightning bugs") up here though. They're the love bug's beautiful cousin.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:30 PM

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but if anybody truly wants a taste of what living in Downtown Greenville (or Greenville in general) is like, visit this awesome photo blog by downtown residents, Denton and Connie.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,830 times
I may be moving down to Greenville next month from Michigan and am concerned about the bugs. Please tell me they're not that bad?!?!?!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:53 AM

What bugs?

Old 10-30-2007, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 22,642 times
Default Beautiful photos, Rested Traveler

My husband and I are looking to escape the heat/humidity, traffic, and high cost of living (real estate prices, property taxes & insurance premiums) in Florida. Looks like real estate prices in western NC are almost as high as Florida's, but the Greenville area still looks pretty affordable. It appears that we might be able to get a nice 3/2 on a couple of acres in your area for the same price as a crummy 2/1 on a postage-stamp lot in Sorrysota. I've checked out sales tax and state income tax; what are the property taxes like?

We're headed up there in a couple of weeks to check it out. Can you think of any other areas that might be worth considering?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:07 AM

Sounts like Utopia to me. I LOVE fireflies/lightning bugs, but HATE love bugs!

Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 AM

Default Hey RottenChester,

According to Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!, overall crime in the city of Greenville is higher than the national average; however, they say "Nonviolent minor crimes, primarily against property, make up the overwhelming majority of statistics, with violent offenses only a small fraction of the overall total."

Check out their free website and see if Greenville is the right place for you.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:08 AM

3 posts, read 7,161 times
Default Bugs and Taxes

I plan on building a house north of Greer in 2008 and get out of FL. I won't miss the love bugs twice a year any more than those pesty noseeums all summer. I have no idea what taxes I will have to pay for my 2005 BMW plus my two motorcycles and a cargo trailer I tow behind the one cycle. It will still be less than here in FL and, although it gets hot in SC, the hot and humid summer doesn't last for 6 months like it does here in the Tampa bay area. There's no perfect place to live, but SC surely is better than FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area