Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
I don't understand our obsession with convenience. Sure, I don't want to have to go all the way across town, but do we need the density that pharmacies seem to want us to need? Yes, there are some people that are not as mobile as others, but for those they offer delivery services.

Honestly, I had higher hopes for the location.
We do have a ridiculous density of pharmacies in the Greenville area, but I have a feeling most of their profit comes from milk, food, candy, etc. So in effect they're just taking the place of convenience stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 PM

19 posts, read 50,610 times
How a pharmacy makes a profit is from the dispensing of prescription drugs not from selling milk, food, candy, etc.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:37 PM

672 posts, read 1,418,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanquinn11 View Post
How a pharmacy makes a profit is from the dispensing of prescription drugs not from selling milk, food, candy, etc.
I disagree. An example: Do you think gas stations make most of their profits from selling gasoline? Gas is not very profitable.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Some people need to remember that while Walgreens and CVS are expanding like mad, Rite Aid is closing stores left and right.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:52 AM

423 posts, read 899,066 times
I love Publix pharmacy. The pharmacists are very nice and helpful and I never have to wait more than a few minutes for a prescription. Publix at McBee Station is only a few blocks from where they are going to build the CVS downtown. I rarely go to a regular stand-alone pharmacy. The only advantage to having a CVS downtown would be if it were open 24 hours and had a drive-thru.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
I love Publix pharmacy. The pharmacists are very nice and helpful and I never have to wait more than a few minutes for a prescription. Publix at McBee Station is only a few blocks from where they are going to build the CVS downtown. I rarely go to a regular stand-alone pharmacy. The only advantage to having a CVS downtown would be if it were open 24 hours and had a drive-thru.
This CVS at Main and McBee is way too urban to have a drive-thru. They better not even propose such a thing, and if so then it better not be allowed.

I agree with you about it hopefully being open 24 hours though. That would be great.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:36 PM

19 posts, read 50,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
I disagree. An example: Do you think gas stations make most of their profits from selling gasoline? Gas is not very profitable.
I am actually a pharmacist and know for a fact its the back of the store that keeps retail chains (CVS, Rite Walgreens) making money.

Pharmacies at places like Walmart or target or grocery store make their money from other sales and use the pharmacy as a way to get people into the stores. These are still profitable but compare to the rest of the store i do not know.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:52 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
This is a mixed use project for the intersection of Main Street and McBee Avenue in downtown Greenville. CVS Pharmacy will be the main tenant. Total square footage is 35,000 square feet. Only second floor space (16,000 square feet) remains for lease. First floor is fully leased. KDS Properties is the developer. Slated opening is October 2010. Rendering below:
Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to look at the latest proposal alongside the original proposal, released shortly after the vacant old Kress building was demolished. Surely others will understand why I view the latest announcement as bittersweet. The first proposal did a better job of accounting for pedestrians along both Main Street and McBee Avenue.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
As glad as I am to see the HOLE filled there, I really HATE when developers announce something like the original plan (and countless other projects) to God & everybody, only for it not to happen.

I think they shouldn't be allowed to announce to the general public unless they are able and committed to making something actually HAPPEN.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:24 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
They've got to get tenants somehow. What's wrong with free public publicity to do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area