Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 03:38 PM

71 posts, read 99,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Dude, I live a few minutes from the mall, I go in there, I know what I see. Lots of stores have been shuttered compared to say 2002. I dont care about a map, I physically go to the mall. Half empty is an exaggeration, again youre taking it too literal, but it is not near capacity. And once you get out the main corridor, foot traffic becomes "rural".

And Im not writing them, they can survive, like I said a million times, the developers are lacking. These stores arent looking because theres no where to go, not because "Anderson isnt good enough." Have you seen Hwy 81? Now compared to just 6 years ago? Not all of Anderson growth is in Pville like you think. And again, if you have people coming from another state to shop in a city because its the largest between Athens and Greenville, what makes Pville (the bedroom community) so attractive? From a work perspective as well, where do you think many Clemson students choose to work? Clemson Blvd 15 minutes away or in Powdersville?

We got Dicks, Kohls, and Staples because developers finally said "lets turn this half empty car lot into something viable", they did, and now look, and that attracted Starbucks and Chipotle to move in. Mens Warehouse moved in because developers finally stepped up and built more outparcel space in Northhills Commons. Academy came (just a few hundred yards from Dicks) because the developers of North Hills Center finally said "lets get rid of this empty Circuit City and Books AM and get something here." Once they agreed to tear those empty stores down, then Academy showed interest. Without that, we still wouldnt have Academy. Once they finally get together and get BLP going, these stores will become interested, but until there is somewhere for them to go, they arent interested. Or if the lifestyle center plans had survived the recession, theyd already be here. The demand is there. The development is not.

And yes Mt P is very picky. Their residents are currently in an uproar because theyre building a parking garage and buildings that are like 75 feet on Coleman Blvd, and they want height restricted to 60 feet. Im from Charleston as well. Everywhere has a McDonalds and BK wtf? Beverly Hills probably has multiple. Like I said, CC Factory and Costco were rumored looking at Mt P for possible locations in front of the town center, but residents said no, they didnt want that land turned into another retail trap. But seriously, this is dumb.
Ok, well normally the map is up to date for a mall. There are a lot of dead malls, like Aiken's for example. I never got the impression Anderson's was THAT dead but again a lot of that is Haywood is right up the road and close enough for weekend trips.

Most of those retailers/restaurants are in high expansion mode, like Academy and Chipolte and Starbucks. Others like Jason's Deli don't appear to be. You guys get everything that is expanding rapidly everywhere right now, like Cookout.

My point is if the demand was there, developers would be developing. Obviously something happened with Beltline Plaza and retailers pulled out. Might have to do with the lease rates.

Mt Pleasant has most of the chain restaurants and big box stores as anywhere else and there is a Costco over in West Ashley already. My point was they aren't that picky, the Costco thing appeared to be more about traffic concerns which MP does have.

I like Anderson, I never said it couldn't get anywhere or stuff shouldnt locate there. But demand is relative, other places have demand too and I think the profit motive is such that if the demand in Anderson was much more than other places then all these stores would be there or at least most of them. Anderson is one of the few markets in SC that doesn't have a McAlister's Deli yet and you really can't say there is no space for them. There are plenty of places they could have moved to without any special development being done.

Retailers can't expand everywhere at once. Anderson will continue to get stuff but most likely it will be one thing at a time not a big development and all at once.

Powdersville is central to both Easley and Anderson and it is fast growing area right now. If they put a big shopping center in Pville, you'll be going there, if the stuff doesn't come to Anderson. They know that. lol

Old 07-06-2014, 03:56 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
Ok, well normally the map is up to date for a mall. There are a lot of dead malls, like Aiken's for example. I never got the impression Anderson's was THAT dead but again a lot of that is Haywood is right up the road and close enough for weekend trips.

Most of those retailers/restaurants are in high expansion mode, like Academy and Chipolte and Starbucks. Others like Jason's Deli don't appear to be. You guys get everything that is expanding rapidly everywhere right now, like Cookout.

My point is if the demand was there, developers would be developing. Obviously something happened with Beltline Plaza and retailers pulled out. Might have to do with the lease rates.

Mt Pleasant has most of the chain restaurants and big box stores as anywhere else and there is a Costco over in West Ashley already. My point was they aren't that picky, the Costco thing appeared to be more about traffic concerns which MP does have.

I like Anderson, I never said it couldn't get anywhere or stuff shouldnt locate there. But demand is relative, other places have demand too and I think the profit motive is such that if the demand in Anderson was much more than other places then all these stores would be there or at least most of them. Anderson is one of the few markets in SC that doesn't have a McAlister's Deli yet and you really can't say there is no space for them. There are plenty of places they could have moved to without any special development being done.

Retailers can't expand everywhere at once. Anderson will continue to get stuff but most likely it will be one thing at a time not a big development and all at once.

Powdersville is central to both Easley and Anderson and it is fast growing area right now. If they put a big shopping center in Pville, you'll be going there, if the stuff doesn't come to Anderson. They know that. lol
http://http://www.independentmail.co...bileRedirect=1

I get what youre saying, but we just have to agree to disagree on some points for now. This is an article from 2011 I found. They say its not supposed to be complete until 2015 so I guess we have to wait and see. It may have gotten delayed, I dont know, but I still think conditions are good.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
http://http://www.independentmail.co...bileRedirect=1

I get what youre saying, but we just have to agree to disagree on some points for now. This is an article from 2011 I found. They say its not supposed to be complete until 2015 so I guess we have to wait and see. It may have gotten delayed, I dont know, but I still think conditions are good.
Link didn't work. I like the north Anderson area and that YMCA. I'd like to see that area get more stuff rather than more stuff on Clemson Blvd.

That developer said he was going to keep the retailers there a secret. It sounded like he was trying to do something different with it, not a typical shopping center. Probably why it is taking a long time.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Link didn't work. I like the north Anderson area and that YMCA. I'd like to see that area get more stuff rather than more stuff on Clemson Blvd.

That developer said he was going to keep the retailers there a secret. It sounded like he was trying to do something different with it, not a typical shopping center. Probably why it is taking a long time.
Its been booming. Lots of new things going up lately, more professional and health practice businesses, and theyre currently building a VA hospital, and apparently a shopping center is planned in front of TL Hanna. The good thing about Beltline is with the connector road, you wont have to get on Clemson Blvd, helping traffic. Thats the most desirable part of the area.

Not sure how to link properly, just google Beltine plaza anderson, sc and it should be there. From March 2011 I believe.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 07-06-2014 at 05:10 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 05:03 PM

453 posts, read 646,623 times
Quote:
Link didn't work.
Jandrew5 double-http-ed it. Here's a fixed version: Development to bring new jobs, connector road near Kohl

Old 07-06-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Jandrew5 double-http-ed it. Here's a fixed version: Development to bring new jobs, connector road near Kohl
Yeah I saw that long time ago, it is about the only thing ever written about it. I am surprised businesses would want to located BEHIND the Kohl's on Clemson Blvd though, given the traffic count on Clemson Blvd. Giving up a lot of visiblility there.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:32 PM

453 posts, read 646,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
JB's Barbeque is opening in Simpsonville at 711 SE Main Street where Mojo's used to be. [snip!] The opening is slated for July.
Their Facebook page says they're opening this Thursday. There's a sample menu at that link as well.

I noticed the other day that Pop's Pizzeria -- on the other side of Main St. in Simpsonville! -- had a new sign out front. Blanking on the new name. Not sure if it's a rebranding or new ownership, but it's still pizza-oriented.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 17,974 times
Quote:
Maybe but a Bi Lo and Home Depot nearby have done ok and it would hard to believe those get no business from the nearby golf course pepole and augusta road people. Given Bloom stores failed all over, it appears to more about the store itself and no so much the location. Or all of their stores were in bad locations.

I used to go to that Bloom but it was in a strange location but that isn't why it closed. The area where it was located was pretty run down and has not gotten better since. It seems like an area that people thought would become a bigger destination but it didn't work out. There are some rundown hotels/motels in the area that are not helping with that either. There are some neighborhoods down the road but those are more mid to lower income until you go down the road a bit. The Bilo is not the best but they maybe make up for it with running a liquor store out of the location (only Bilo I know around here that does that). I never really see tons of cars then when I ride by there either. The golf course and Augusta street people seem to go to the Bilo off Faris road or to the Publix downtown.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,098 times
I know several Augusta Road residents who use the Publix on Pleasantburg - this location is much larger than the downtown McBee Station Publix.

Publix needs a full-sized location on Augusta.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcoiner76 View Post
I used to go to that Bloom but it was in a strange location but that isn't why it closed. The area where it was located was pretty run down and has not gotten better since. It seems like an area that people thought would become a bigger destination but it didn't work out. There are some rundown hotels/motels in the area that are not helping with that either. There are some neighborhoods down the road but those are more mid to lower income until you go down the road a bit. The Bilo is not the best but they maybe make up for it with running a liquor store out of the location (only Bilo I know around here that does that). I never really see tons of cars then when I ride by there either. The golf course and Augusta street people seem to go to the Bilo off Faris road or to the Publix downtown.
Bi-Lo does not operate liquor departments. It is likely a liquor store that is leasing space from Bi-Lo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I know several Augusta Road residents who use the Publix on Pleasantburg - this location is much larger than the downtown McBee Station Publix.

Publix needs a full-sized location on Augusta.
Unless vertical growth is strictly enforced along Augusta Road, which may be the only way to go full size, a Publix similar to store #1148, McBee Station, 400 East McBee Avenue Suite 100, Greenville, SC 29601-2940 could work well. That size of a store with a parking deck of two or three levels above at Lewis Plaza can work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area