Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to South Carolina: safe area, crime, apartment,

Old 06-03-2007, 04:53 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,300 times

Advertisements

Ok, SC folks I need to know the real truth about SC--the upstate specifically. I've had so many people tell me very different stories. What about the crime in the upstate? We're thinking Easley, Pickens, Anderson, etc. areas. Now, I understand crime is everywhere; I understand that, but what is the real truth is it a bit more or what?

I would be moving from a suburb of Sacramento California. What we get out here in my area that is considered about the same as the national average, is break ins, we hear off in the distance the occasional gun shots, cop, sheriff, EMT, and fire sirens every night, EITS (eye in the sky) or police chopper about 3 times a week.

Sperlings Best Places comparisons has my location as VC 5 PC 3. In a town like Easley its VC 4 PC 4.

So what is the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 05:58 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,301 times
I live in a suburb of Greenville called Travelers Rest. You do hear or read of the occasional property theft here as well. That's about it. Any sirens you hear here are usually one of two things: TRPD pulling someone over or an ambulance heading to North Greenville Hospital. Rarely do I even hear the TRFD sirens. Never have I heard a gunshot.

In Orlando, it was a different story. Sirens whined all night and day. One did hear the occasional gunshot...and I even had my apartment complex locked down twice while Orange County and OPD searched for a criminal that had fled into the complex (and yes - the Orange County Sheriff's EITS flew over with that spotlight shining down quite often). I have no idea how TR is rated or if it even is on Sperling's site. I think any crime rating (again, consider where I moved from) is over-rated if it lists this area as high-crime.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
I live in a suburb of Greenville called Travelers Rest. You do hear or read of the occasional property theft here as well. That's about it. Any sirens you hear here are usually one of two things: TRPD pulling someone over or an ambulance heading to North Greenville Hospital. Rarely do I even hear the TRFD sirens. Never have I heard a gunshot.

In Orlando, it was a different story. Sirens whined all night and day. One did hear the occasional gunshot...and I even had my apartment complex locked down twice while Orange County and OPD searched for a criminal that had fled into the complex (and yes - the Orange County Sheriff's EITS flew over with that spotlight shining down quite often). I have no idea how TR is rated or if it even is on Sperling's site. I think any crime rating (again, consider where I moved from) is over-rated if it lists this area as high-crime.
Great! Thanks. By the way, Sperlings has it this way:

TR Violent Crime 4 My City a 5 The Nation 3
TR Property Crime 4 My City a 3 The Nation 3

Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 PM

73 posts, read 345,317 times
Whoops read it wrong

Orlando, FL, violent crime, on a scale from 1 (low crime) to 10, is 8. Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. The US average is 3.

Orlando, FL, property crime, on a scale from 1 (low) to 10, is 8. Property crime includes the offenses of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. The object of the theft-type offenses is the taking of money or property, but there is no force or threat of force against the victims. The US average is 3.

Bottom line...we gotta get out of here

Old 06-03-2007, 08:26 PM

39 posts, read 215,410 times
Default Sperlings Best Places is great to an exent...........

I love looking at Sperlings Best Places site but I have to say I do not put heavy weight into their crime comparisions.

Let me tell you why........

I live in Lancaster, Ohio...........if you check Lancaster out on their site, they rate the city as a 6 on both of their crime scales. Well, I think there was only one murder to my knowledge last year, and it was domestic violence. I never hear gunshots, I never hear sirens except on the rare occassion of an ambulance or fire truck. And we live within city limits. It is a quiet, nice family town. Sure some sides of town have some drug issues. But overall, I feel really safe here, even at night with my three small children.

We are getting ready to move, due to a job transfer and I hate leaving here. It is an awesome place to raise a family.......what America should be like ! Anyway, we are looking to move to the Greenville area, so I too have been researching it.

Just wanted to let you know my perspective on the crime stats on Sperlings from my perspective of how they rate our town.

On another note...........Sperlings used to let you COMPARE two cities side by side.........I found this way more helpful........it seemed to give a better idea of crime relative to another city because it adjusted the figures to which town you compared it with. I have not gotten this tool of the site to work recently.......maybe give it a try, maybe it will work for you.

Good Luck to you.............hope this helps !
Have friends in Greenville, and they LOVE it!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:07 AM

63 posts, read 180,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Ok, SC folks I need to know the real truth about SC--the upstate specifically. I've had so many people tell me very different stories. What about the crime in the upstate? We're thinking Easley, Pickens, Anderson, etc. areas. Now, I understand crime is everywhere; I understand that, but what is the real truth is it a bit more or what?

I would be moving from a suburb of Sacramento California. What we get out here in my area that is considered about the same as the national average, is break ins, we hear off in the distance the occasional gun shots, cop, sheriff, EMT, and fire sirens every night, EITS (eye in the sky) or police chopper about 3 times a week.

Sperlings Best Places comparisons has my location as VC 5 PC 3. In a town like Easley its VC 4 PC 4.

So what is the truth?
I live in a little town outside of Clemson. Maybe once or twice a month you hear an ambulance. I think I've seen a fire truck go by once. I've NEVER heard a gunshot (and if I did it would most likely be somebody hunting or practice shooting for hunting) and have NEVER seen a police chopper overhead here. I'm trying to think if I've seen one since I've been down here. Maybe if I was on my way to Greenville? I can't remember seeing one since I've been here though. It's so funny before I moved down here I saw those numbers too. But hey, I'm from Delaware (originally from Jersey) we're Camden and Philly's neighbors. Let me just give you my thoughts. On the Philly news EVERY DAY there was a report of a murder! EVERY DAY Sometimes two and up to three times a day (morning news reporting about a cop or gang member killed in the overnight, afternoon news reporting a row house murder and maybe the evening news reporting a shootout -- sometimes 3x's a day) but everyday at least one! That's at the least 365 reports of murder a year!!! And I'm not making this stuff up! Down here, you hear about the occasional break in, car accident or embezzling like the big news going on with Carolina Investors. But, let me give you an example of something that happened a few Friday nights ago. DH and I were over visiting friends and the 11 o'clock news came on the local NBC station. They showed a segment of the baseball field that the Greenville Drive play and how it's prepared for the season and then they panned out and just showed us (with no talking or music) a man driving a tractor mowing the field and they showed a man painting the lines and then NBC showed a segment (in the same 30 minute newscast!!) about an 80 year old man who still tunes local church pianos even though he is blind. My friend finally remarks what we were all thinking, "Must not have any "news" to report on tonight. " Because the horrible bad crimes that were always packed into the local 30 minute news just weren't there!

I will admit I've actually laughed at the news with some of the STUPID crimes that people commit! I can't think of one off the top of my head but I remember chuckling a time or two thinking "How stupid! You deserve to get caught!" LOL

ETA:: By the way Marks, just read your post to my friend and when I got the part "What about the crime in the upstate?" She said, "Um, zero." Now, I know it's not zero but that was her very first reaction if that tells you anything and she's lived here all her life. And she said, "Oooh, tell him about our news reports." And I said, "I already did," and then read that to her too. She was cracking up at remembering and was saying "Yup, yup. That's how it is." She did say that she's heard gunshots before but that was from hunting cause her parents live in a heavily wooded area. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Disney Dreamer; 06-08-2007 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-08-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreamer View Post
I live in a little town outside of Clemson. Maybe once or twice a month you hear an ambulance. I think I've seen a fire truck go by once. I've NEVER heard a gunshot (and if I did it would most likely be somebody hunting or practice shooting for hunting) and have NEVER seen a police chopper overhead here. I'm trying to think if I've seen one since I've been down here. Maybe if I was on my way to Greenville? I can't remember seeing one since I've been here though. It's so funny before I moved down here I saw those numbers too. But hey, I'm from Delaware (originally from Jersey) we're Camden and Philly's neighbors. Let me just give you my thoughts. On the Philly news EVERY DAY there was a report of a murder! EVERY DAY Sometimes two and up to three times a day (morning news reporting about a cop or gang member killed in the overnight, afternoon news reporting a row house murder and maybe the evening news reporting a shootout -- sometimes 3x's a day) but everyday at least one! That's at the least 365 reports of murder a year!!! And I'm not making this stuff up! Down here, you hear about the occasional break in, car accident or embezzling like the big news going on with Carolina Investors. But, let me give you an example of something that happened a few Friday nights ago. DH and I were over visiting friends and the 11 o'clock news came on the local NBC station. They showed a segment of the baseball field that the Greenville Drive play and how it's prepared for the season and then they panned out and just showed us (with no talking or music) a man driving a tractor mowing the field and they showed a man painting the lines and then NBC showed a segment (in the same 30 minute newscast!!) about an 80 year old man who still tunes local church pianos even though he is blind. My friend finally remarks what we were all thinking, "Must not have any "news" to report on tonight. " Because the horrible bad crimes that were always packed into the local 30 minute news just weren't there!

I will admit I've actually laughed at the news with some of the STUPID crimes that people commit! I can't think of one off the top of my head but I remember chuckling a time or two thinking "How stupid! You deserve to get caught!" LOL

ETA:: By the way Marks, just read your post to my friend and when I got the part "What about the crime in the upstate?" She said, "Um, zero." Now, I know it's not zero but that was her very first reaction if that tells you anything and she's lived here all her life. And she said, "Oooh, tell him about our news reports." And I said, "I already did," and then read that to her too. She was cracking up at remembering and was saying "Yup, yup. That's how it is." She did say that she's heard gunshots before but that was from hunting cause her parents live in a heavily wooded area. Hope this helps.

Hey Disney Dreamer, it does in a big way! It's good to hear from you I thought you were moving to Pickens? Anyway, thanks for your answers to both of my posts it does help and coming from you I trust it.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 PM

63 posts, read 180,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Hey Disney Dreamer, it does in a big way! It's good to hear from you I thought you were moving to Pickens? Anyway, thanks for your answers to both of my posts it does help and coming from you I trust it.
Well, we're renting right now but I'm still in Pickens County . Actually I'm one town over from Pickens. I can be in Pickens w/in 5 to 10 minutes. The friend that I was talking about actually lives in Pickens.

I just can't wait till you can finally visit the place. You'll love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area