Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
According to Google's official blog, the announcement expected by the end of this year will be delayed until sometime in early 2011.

Source: Official Google Blog: An update on Google Fiber
....of COURSE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
It's getting closer to our area at least:

Google Fiber is coming to Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville and Raleigh-Durham

Official Google Blog: Google Fiber is coming to Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville and Raleigh-Durham

Old 01-27-2015, 01:40 PM

506 posts, read 1,222,569 times
Yeah that's basically a semi circle all the way around us. We could be next as it seems like it would be easy for them to move to Greenville from any of those locations.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:25 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
Yeah that's basically a semi circle all the way around us. We could be next as it seems like it would be easy for them to move to Greenville from any of those locations.
We can only hope that Google continues to expand this service to give another choice in the market. If nothing else, I hope this expansion will push our current options (Charter and AT&T) to improve service in a cost-effective way.

I'd love to see some local cities adopt the model Chattanooga has of gigabit internet provided by the local utility company. For that to happen, though, we would need to repeal the current laws on the books which were largely paid for by the cable industry.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:26 PM

696 posts, read 1,335,467 times
Considering how quickly Greenville has and is growing, it would seem to make sense.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
My friends in Sweden had govt fiber 15 years ago; It's about time the US catches up

The US has a lot of regions still tied to dial-up that are shockingly close to large metro areas.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 AM

45 posts, read 69,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
My friends in Sweden had govt fiber 15 years ago; It's about time the US catches up

The US has a lot of regions still tied to dial-up that are shockingly close to large metro areas.
You forget that it's every south carolinian's right to get reamed by the cable/phone companies because nobody likes big guvmint.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:00 PM

690 posts, read 1,146,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
We can only hope that Google continues to expand this service to give another choice in the market. If nothing else, I hope this expansion will push our current options (Charter and AT&T) to improve service in a cost-effective way.

I'd love to see some local cities adopt the model Chattanooga has of gigabit internet provided by the local utility company. For that to happen, though, we would need to repeal the current laws on the books which were largely paid for by the cable industry.
Being a Greer resident and having Greer CPW supplying all power, water, and such I would absolutely love it if they threw down fiber and started their own ISP.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
You forget that it's every south carolinian's right to get reamed by the cable/phone companies because nobody likes big guvmint.
Lol, yes!

I am actually cancelling my cable this month and telling them to shove it permanently. I will no longer be a financial slave to their monopoly pricing. Paying over $120.00/mo for only 2 televisions, not including internet, and they charge for the box on every tv in the house. What do low income people do around here, go without tv or use an antenna? The prices for families with multiple children who want a tv in their room must be outrageous.

Hello Amazon Fire <3

Old 02-03-2015, 06:44 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
I haven't had cable in over six months. I have an antenna, Internet, and Netflix. Works perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area