Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
The Federal government is just plain broke/busted/out of moolah. Have you watched the news? CAE is not asking the right funding source......Columbia and CAE should work on getting private business to set-up headquarters and facilities in the city so airlines could fly to CAE without government support.
And so that there would be enough demand for flights to justify additional airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
And the state of S.C. had the money to spare when GSP and Charleston were begging for state funds?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:35 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Again, Greenville and Charleston did NOT take taxpayers subsidies. Southwest decided to serve those cities via the free market.

Columbia, unfortunately, was not seen by Southwest as a viable market, and now Columbia is scrambling for 10 million in taxpayer subsidies out of fear and a reactive nature.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:09 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Again, duh, it's the principle. I know they didn't get state funds; I'm not living in a cave. They wanted state funds, though, and would have taken them. Now that Columbia is hoping for some funds it's wrong. I see. Well, I hope SW can bring back some of the 27,500 private sector jobs Greenville has lost in the past two years, and some of the 21,700 jobs it lost from 2000 to 2010. I found it interesting that Columbia at least gained 500 from 2000 to 2010 and that today BMW announced it is hiring 500 contingency workers. The electric car company ought to help, too. Wow, once SW gets there the big G might be back up to par in about five years.

Employment news is more bad than good - Business First of Buffalo

Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Again, duh, it's the principle. I know they didn't get state funds; I'm not living in a cave. They wanted state funds, though, and would have taken them. Now that Columbia is hoping for some funds it's wrong. I see. Well, I hope SW can bring back some of the 27,500 private sector jobs Greenville has lost in the past two years, and some of the 21,700 jobs it lost from 2000 to 2010. I found it interesting that Columbia at least gained 500 from 2000 to 2010 and that today BMW announced it is hiring 500 contingency workers. The electric car company ought to help, too. Wow, once SW gets there the big G might be back up to par in about five years.

Apparently the Big G (as you say) is more on par than Columbia per Southwest Airlines, Apple, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and all the retail coming to Greenville, that isn't coming to Columbia. Tell them quick, close those locations, Greenville is a ghost town and all the jobs are in Columbia (where the unemployment rate is only half a percentage point better). LMAO!

Tell Proterra and Sage and ATW and CT&T not to open headquarters in ghost town Greenville and open those headquarters in Columbia. LMAO!

I'm sorry you feel Columbia is so inferior, that in a thread about air service, you have to interject off topic info about jobs. I am happy Columbia has been able to maintain the same amount of jobs it had in the year 2000, especially given the fact that Innovista has been such a failure. Mindless, suck off the taxpayer, government jobs will keep Columbia stable, but not interesting.

Midlands insecurity at its finest.

Southwest found Greenville to be a lucrative market WITHOUT incentives......Southwest turned down Columbia and found it not a viable market even WITH incentives.

Those are the facts. Sorry if it hurts.

Last edited by gsupstate; 07-01-2010 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,578,065 times
Quote:
I found it interesting that Columbia at least gained 500 from 2000 to 2010 and that today BMW announced it is hiring 500 contingency workers. The electric car company ought to help, too. Wow, once SW gets there the big G might be back up to par in about five years.

Alright...

So true... I mean, WITHOUT Southwest, this is what Greenville has done:
-CU-ICAR currently has 675 employees on the campus,
-American Titanium Works will create 3,500 jobs in Laurens County's manufacturing facility and Greenville's HQ,
-Proterra will employ over 1,000 at its electric bus manufacturing facility, which has already begun hiring,
-Sage Automotive moving their International HQ to CU-ICAR,
-Hubbell Lighting created 350 new jobs at the Millennium Campus.

I won't even get into the jobs outside of CU-ICAR.

So, if Southwest is supposedly going to get Greenville back on 'par', and subpar is the performance that I've mentioned above... hmmm... I think we might have to start referring to it as "The Big Two" when referencing Greenville and Charleston. The 'big three' will now be used in reference to Myrtle Beach, Columbia, and Spartanburg!

Come on, Corgi/Data...

Last edited by gvillesc; 07-01-2010 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Southwest found Greenville to be a lucrative market WITHOUT incentives......Southwest turned down Columbia and found it not a viable market even WITH incentives.
Check and mate!

Old 07-01-2010, 10:23 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Yes, I did vote for Obama. I'm starting to regret that decision.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Columbia thought it was wrong when GSP and Charleston wanted funds and now those metro areas think it's wrong when Columbia wants them. Around the merry-go-round we go.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But you thought it was OK when state government wanted to use incentives for airlines for Greenville and Charleston? It's really hard to take anything you say seriously when you're "talking" politics.
Those would have been state funds and ONLY would have been used if Southwest Airlines were to have taken a loss on the metro areas which were shown through studies by the airline and airports to be highly unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area