Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:04 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times

Advertisements

-21,700 and -27,500 jobs speak for themselves. I guess NewYorkBorn is a know-it-all Yankee after all. If I thought Columbia were inferior, I'd go into the positive Greenville forums (as though there were any negative ones) and try to turn them into a conversation about how Columbia is better. Sound familiar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 05:11 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenville View Post
check and mate!
lol!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Apparently the Big G (as you say) is more on par than Columbia per Southwest Airlines, Apple, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and all the retail coming to Greenville, that isn't coming to Columbia. Tell them quick, close those locations, Greenville is a ghost town and all the jobs are in Columbia (where the unemployment rate is only half a percentage point better). LMAO!

Tell Proterra and Sage and ATW and CT&T not to open headquarters in ghost town Greenville and open those headquarters in Columbia. LMAO!

I'm sorry you feel Columbia is so inferior, that in a thread about air service, you have to interject off topic info about jobs. I am happy Columbia has been able to maintain the same amount of jobs it had in the year 2000, especially given the fact that Innovista has been such a failure. Mindless, suck off the taxpayer, government jobs will keep Columbia stable, but not interesting.

Midlands insecurity at its finest.

Southwest found Greenville to be a lucrative market WITHOUT incentives......Southwest turned down Columbia and found it not a viable market even WITH incentives.

Those are the facts. Sorry if it hurts.
All of the stores you mentioned are suburban. Yuck, boo, hiss. And once again you are equating Innovista's status with the status of two buildings that haven't been built yet because the bottom dropped out of the economy and the space isn't needed now, whereas the true status of Innovista is reflected in the research and start-up business it is producing. Innovista isn't a place. It's a concept. And if it were a place thank God it wouldn't be in the suburbs. Up 500 jobs or down 21,700 jobs since 2000, both cities are wonderful. How's that for fairness?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Did anybody bring popcorn because I love the Innovista excuses!!! My favorite is definitely that the research campus is a "concept" not a place. I'm pretty sure the failed leaders of the campus only thought of it as a concept, too... and, look where we are in 2010...

And, Greenville residents: we should all be REALLY upset apparently that CU-ICAR is located on the Hollingsworth property. What it means for us is this: Greenville is going to have an additional, concentrated employment center outside of downtown Greenville. So ultimately, our first BRT line is going to have destinations is what he's saying... It's going to have the concentration of people to actually be used. Dang it! Arrrrrggg! Be angry!!!!

Last edited by gvillesc; 07-02-2010 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Did anybody bring popcorn because I love the Innovista excuses!!! My favorite is definitely that the research campus is a "concept" not a place. I'm pretty sure the failed leaders of the campus only thought of it as a concept, too... and, look where we are in 2010...
I love these excuses too. Hysterical. If Innovista is now "a concept" why do people keep referencing the Innovista Campus in the Vista? How can a "concept" have boundaries?

The excuse making, 5 years later, for the failure of Innovista is funny.

Since this is a thread about air service, wonder if Innovista's failure factored into the decision of Southwest not to serve Columbia?

Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Can't we all just get along like these two guys:

Old 07-03-2010, 07:09 AM

The Strom Thurmond Fitness Center and beautiful adjacent intramural field, the Colonial Life Arena, the Greek Village, the Ben Arnold School of Public Health (highly regarded nationally), the bio-sciences building, the SCRA Columbia-USC high-tech business incubator, the Carolina Coliseum, Carolina Stadium (home of the 2010 College World Series national champions baseball team), and the shops and bars that have located and are preparing to locate within the boundaries of the Innovista district to be near the growth, do not spell failure to me.

And I didn't mention the Horizon I building that only needs interior up-fitting when the economy comes back and the space is needed, or the internationally known and highly regarded Moore School of Business to be built (designed by a New York architect) in the district over the next couple of years. Am I missing something?

I think SW took a circumspect approach in entering the SC market and that Columbia just happens to not quite match their formula right now. It's as simple as that. I am sure they would be the first to tell you that they in no way see Columbia and USC as failures. I wish the Columbia haters would lay off.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I wish the Columbia haters would lay off.
You're so laughable! You make a post saying that: 'maybe one day the big G will catch back up with Columbia'. And, we gave proof that Greenville's not lacking or envious of the capital city. As a result, we're called haters and told to lay off...

Last edited by gvillesc; 07-03-2010 at 10:08 AM..

Old 07-03-2010, 12:49 PM

I used the term haters because of all the talk about how Columbia and USC are failures. And I'm sure I made the crack about Greenville needing to catch back up just out of the blue as opposed to using it to counter a negative comment about Columbia, right?

Old 07-03-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I used the term haters because of all the talk about how Columbia and USC are failures. And I'm sure I made the crack about Greenville needing to catch back up just out of the blue as opposed to using it to counter a negative comment about Columbia, right?
Columbia and USC being failures are your own words, sir.

CU-ICAR was brought up to negate your doom and gloom comment about Greenville's jobs, and to provide evidence that well-paid positions and new HQ's have been attracted to Greenville despite the economy and despite not having adequate air service. The air service is about to change in 2011, however. But, yea, Greenville isn't on par with the capital city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area