Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 01:18 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times

Advertisements

False alarm guys. Email info I got sent was wrong. Sorry about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 03:39 PM

A city council member has told my G-News business writer contact that Trader Joe's is second guessing putting a store in Greenville due to worries about it not getting enough business and being successful. Before, the site plan on Hughes Commercial's website said "Trader Joe's." Now it just says "future retail." Hopefully this is just smoke and mirrors. The good news is that construction workers are still doing work on the interior and exterior of the space.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:26 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
A city council member has told my G-News business writer contact that Trader Joe's is second guessing putting a store in Greenville due to worries about it not getting enough business and being successful. Before, the site plan on Hughes Commercial's website said "Trader Joe's." Now it just says "future retail." Hopefully this is just smoke and mirrors. The good news is that construction workers are still doing work on the interior and exterior of the space.
That makes NO sense. What the h*ll is going on here? Wouldn't the construction indicate $$ already spent by TJ? Are they willing to do that and then abandon the effort? Something smells fishy here...

Old 08-05-2010, 04:43 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
What about the woman from Seattle who said that her husband has already put in a transfer to work here?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:05 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
Quote:
I'm officially calling B.S. on this.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I'm officially calling B.S. on this.
Like I said, hopefully this is all just smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by g-man430; 08-05-2010 at 11:04 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
What about the woman from Seattle who said that her husband has already put in a transfer to work here?
Notice you haven't heard from her in a while. Hmmm... Also notice you haven't heard anything about a store opening here from Trader Joe's either.

Last edited by g-man430; 08-05-2010 at 11:05 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
That makes NO sense. What the h*ll is going on here? Wouldn't the construction indicate $$ already spent by TJ? Are they willing to do that and then abandon the effort? Something smells fishy here...
I'm not 100% certain, but i'm pretty sure the renovations to the space they might go into was being paid for by Hughes Commercial not Trader Joe's. Hughes was paying to make the shell retail space for possibly Trader Joe's while the retailer would just upfit the interior with their own cost when or if they decide to locate there. That's the way retail space works with pretty much every shopping center. For instance, Gamestop and Mattress Firm obviously didn't pay to have that small shopping center next to Academy built. Instead, the developer paid for the construction of it. Those retailers are just leasing space there. Hughes probably spent the money to try and lure Trader Joe's to the site along with getting the space leased so they could make more money. Like I said though, there is NO confirmation currently that they have decided not to come here. If I find out more, i'll let you know.

Last edited by g-man430; 08-05-2010 at 11:19 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 06:18 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
The TJ's coming soon sign should be going up today. Don't ask how I know this information. Back to lurking.
Earlier this week I saw a banner that said "Trader Joe's Coming Soon" along the front of the building.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:27 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Earlier this week I saw a banner that said "Trader Joe's Coming Soon" along the front of the building.
Well, THAT doesn't sound too tentative to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area