Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:57 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amator View Post
Actually I think the "TJs is to Whole Foods as Aldi's is to Publix" analogy is pretty spot on, especially since Aldi's owns Trader Joes.

Anyone know if they're going to build or retrofit the existing retail shops on the side of Academy Sports?
That analogy couldn't be further from the truth. In all three times that we've ever set foot in Aldi's we couldn't wait to get out. In the hundreds of times we've been in TJ's we hate to leave. They're nothing alike. McDonalds owns Chipotle and I wouldn't say that they're alike at all either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,876 times
I've posted this in the past on another thread regarding TJ's, it's a hoot and definitely worth watching!

YouTube - If I Made a Commercial for Trader Joe's

Aldi's, whole owned by the same company as TJ's can't even compare to TJ's in any which way or form IMHO.

Gman, you can drag me anytime to a TJ's - I'll go without resistance!

OPEN, OPEN, OPEN!!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
A building permit was issued by the City of Greenville on May 10th, 2010 for 59 Woodruff Industrial Lane. It's the first one listed on page 29 here: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/Building...0_bpreport.pdf Not sure if it's for them or not but the address is the same.
Good to see. It must be Trader Joes, with the same address.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I hate Aldi, so I would hesitate to use it in your analogy.
Owned by a German company called Albrecht Discounts, ALDI is a discount grocery chain that started in Germany in 1948. Decidedly no frills, the company stocks virtually all house-brand products, all offered at very low prices thanks to exclusive deals with their suppliers, many of which are big-name producers. ALDI has approximately 5,000 stores worldwide and the two Albrecht brothers, who own the company, are some of the riches men in the world.

But getting back to ALDI's business strategy, does this sound like another store that we know of? The same strategy, although executed by the US staff and tailored to their customers' tastes, is the exact same one used by Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's, although it may be based in Southern California, is actually owned by Albrecht Discounts. The company was purchased back in 1979, long before it hit the cultural mainstream. Since that time, it has been left to turn itself into a very trendy, upscale grocery store by following a similar business plan to ALDI. TJs has low prices and a lot of store-brand products, but a different image that appeals to a different group of consumers.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:11 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Owned by a German company called Albrecht Discounts, ALDI is a discount grocery chain that started in Germany in 1948. Decidedly no frills, the company stocks virtually all house-brand products, all offered at very low prices thanks to exclusive deals with their suppliers, many of which are big-name producers. ALDI has approximately 5,000 stores worldwide and the two Albrecht brothers, who own the company, are some of the riches men in the world.

But getting back to ALDI's business strategy, does this sound like another store that we know of? The same strategy, although executed by the US staff and tailored to their customers' tastes, is the exact same one used by Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's, although it may be based in Southern California, is actually owned by Albrecht Discounts. The company was purchased back in 1979, long before it hit the cultural mainstream. Since that time, it has been left to turn itself into a very trendy, upscale grocery store by following a similar business plan to ALDI. TJs has low prices and a lot of store-brand products, but a different image that appeals to a different group of consumers.
Very informative! While I wouldn't call Aldi a gourmet place to shop, that's not its intent, either. It's great for what it is, and I've been shocked (in a good way) by the quality of a number of their items. I just wish we had one in the Mauldin area.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Please answer this with 100% honesty: have you ever been to Trader Joes? Alsi's and TJ's are nothing alike, nothing.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Please answer this with 100% honesty: have you ever been to Trader Joes? Alsi's and TJ's are nothing alike, nothing.
I believe what he's saying is that they both follow similar formulas, but they execute them in totally different ways. Chill!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:57 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
umm...yeah....nobody said they were the same....they are owned by the same company and follow a similar business plan, period.

kind of like bloom is a more upscale food lion, but the two stores aren't really alike?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
kind of like bloom is a more upscale food lion, but the two stores aren't really alike?
Correct. I don't see much in common between Bloom and Food Lion, other than the fact that they are owned by the same company. Same with Trader Joe's and Aldi.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 AM

179 posts, read 462,485 times
Thanks USNRET04, you said what I was trying to say in a better way.

I can't wait for Trader Joe's to hit. Any idea how long it'll take them to become operational? Six months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area