Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times

Advertisements

How awful... this has been on most peoples minds all over the world.. I keep thinking of all these parents, whos lives will never ever be the same.. and the sadness in their minds forever, and of course the families of the teachers who died too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 05:47 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
I'm not watching anymore on this. I overloaded on it for 4 1/2 days. Reading the posts in the political thread make me sick to my stomach. Time to get back into my life.

Just heard on the morning news Nancy Lanza may have been trying to commit her son and that's what happened.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:52 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
What the hell is wrong with me. I just can't stop crying; it's something I never do. Men aren't suppose to cry.
Who says men aren't supposed to cry? What happened in Newtown, CT was a terrible tragedy. You're a human being with a heart...there is absolutely nothing wrong with shedding tears at the slaughter of innocents.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
I'm also male and very seldom do I cry at anything. However, I find myself bawling uncontrollably at various times during each interview I see on TV with the parents, relatives, or friends of the victims describing those lost. My god, how inspirational and strong these survivors are. How gorgeous these children.

I even cried when Gene Rosen down the street from the school was interviewed who found a group of first graders from Ms Soto's class at the foot of his driveway and took them in to his home, especially the description of the encounter with the frantic mother shortly after the children he comforted were picked up by their parents. My god how sad that was.

So many heroes and it just when it seems I may run out of tears another story is told.

The last story I viewed on CNN was when the McDonnells were being interviewed by Anderson Cooper and Grace's mother with a warm smile described how her daughter and her friends were holding hands as they died, all 20 of them holding hands right now and are with their loving principal who, I'm sure, will be looking after them for an eternity. Tears were rolling down my face.

What the hell is wrong with me. I just can't stop crying; it's something I never do. Men aren't suppose to cry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I read on HuffPost that Nancy Lanza may have filed conservatorship papers to have Adam institutionalized, and that he was aware of it. He was also jealous that she apparently volunteered with the 1st grade class last year and spent more time with them, than hi. He apparently thought she loved the kids more than him since she was trying to "get rid" of him. He was furious that she wanted him institutionalized. The report also said she was terrified of him and couldn't handle him any longer. She was at her wit's end and desperate to do something for/with him. The person interviewed said that Adam had some pretty significant behavior problems at home and that his mom just couldn't take it any more. When Adam found out about the committment papers, he went beserk, and the rest is history. The theory is that he killed her, then her best friends the principal and psychologist, then the kids he was jealous of. Their teachers just got in the way so they were shot as well.
That's what I heard too, Marcy.^^^^^^^^^

poop, you are human. You sound like you have been pushed past the point of "men don't cry" and your feelings are just flowing out. I actually don't see how anyone, man nor woman could NOT cry over this. I watch some local news daily but I can not watch the special stations like CNN anymore. I am fried out mentally and heartachingly. Last night was the first time since last Friday I have slept at night and stopped feeling literally sick. This sent me over some edge too and I have been trying to get back into a "normal" sleep pattern for 7 nights.

I think this is showing hown so many of us how we live with a "mask" on ourselves daily to get through a day and this horrible, horrible event has broken those masks.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
As many of you, I am finding myself to be, at different turns distraught, angry, depressed, anxious, hopeless. This has rocked me to my core and I am in no way involved with the tragedy. I have children in the same age group as those killed. I know teachers like the ones in Newtown who would have done the same thing. We all know what an elementary school looks like and feels like. The sounds, the routine, the smells, the little voices and laughter. The juxtaposition of all that against a gunmen executing small children who are barely out of their preschool years is jarring to say the least. Newtown has to go through 27 funerals this week. 27. Think of how emotionally draining 1 funeral for a child or loved one is and multiply that by 27.

Pippy, I feel the same as you. I feel I don't have the right to not know about these kids and teachers. I don't have the right to turn a blind eye to the suffering that is happening in CT. I've been crying off and on since Friday morning.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Gene Rosen's story was especially poignant. He said that one of the 6 year old boys, while looking around Gene's house, said "You know, your house is really small." This is an example of the perfect, wide eyed innocence that was stolen from the kids who were killed and who've witnessed all of this. I know the frantic feeling of not being able to find your child. YDS is PDD-NOS and is an elopement risk. That is the scariest, most helpless feeling ever. I can't imagine.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I had to keep together at work when I heard the news, then I came home last night and bawled my eyes out, and I'm a grown man.
You're not alone. Granted I'm a lot closer to the tragedy, but as we were watching the reports, grown men at work were crying right into the afternoon. Most women left to get their kids.

It's still hard to come to grips with. Connecticut is still in mourning for sure.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Gene Rosen's story was especially poignant. He said that one of the 6 year old boys, while looking around Gene's house, said "You know, your house is really small." This is an example of the perfect, wide eyed innocence that was stolen from the kids who were killed and who've witnessed all of this. I know the frantic feeling of not being able to find your child. YDS is PDD-NOS and is an elopement risk. That is the scariest, most helpless feeling ever. I can't imagine.
What does that say, Margritte??? ^^^^^

kid, I assumed you'd find us here eventually. We are having our own conversation about Sandy Hook. Too much to read from where I left off in the Ct. thread and the political forum just drove me nuts with all the bozos. So I retreated to here.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What does that say, Margritte??? ^^^^^

kid, I assumed you'd find us here eventually. We are having our own conversation about Sandy Hook. Too much to read from where I left off in the Ct. thread and the political forum just drove me nuts with all the bozos. So I retreated to here.
Do you mean what is PDD-NOS and elopement? My younger son has PDD-NOS. Here is some information on it:
PDD-NOS Signs, Symptoms and Treatment - National Autism Resources

What is Elopement? | Autism Community

I came here because I've been having such a hard time with all of this. I'm glad that I am not the only one feeling such intense emotion about this.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you mean what is PDD-NOS and elopement? My younger son has PDD-NOS. Here is some information on it:
PDD-NOS Signs, Symptoms and Treatment - National Autism Resources

What is Elopement? | Autism Community

I came here because I've been having such a hard time with all of this. I'm glad that I am not the only one feeling such intense emotion about this.
How about just typing out the words? I don't want to read an article. I just want to know what PDD-NOS and YDS stand for.

Remember you're not in the mental health or autism parents forum, where most readers have a greater chance of understanding medical jargon. You're in the mourning forum, where people are mourning and expressing grief. Sending them to websites to learn about some terminology that they might or might not ever have need to hear again - isn't very useful. Or helpful.

As for me and my mourning process - I'm afraid I'm not very good with it. I disassociate myself, when I'm faced with tragedy. I get "business-like" about it. It's very strange, and surreal. I know when it's happening, I even analyze it and wonder why I'm not crying, why I'm not a basket case, why I'm not feeling heart-broken. And that's when I get upset. I get upset because I'm not upset, and I should be. It's a very strange experience. I felt like that all week. It's like it bottles itself up deep inside me and I know it's there and it's exquisite in its intensity. But I can't touch it. It's out of reach.

Maybe it's just TOO much and my mind blocks it out. But - that's how I'm coping with this. I felt some slip out earlier today when one of my customers was a teacher and we were chit-chatting while I checked her through the register. And I thanked her for being a teacher. And - I just felt my eyes well up with tears but I had to sniff them back to take care of the next customer.

Little moments like that get me, more than hearing the news of the tragedy itself. I don't know why that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning