Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:04 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
What's the average life-span for a parrot? Just curious...Have you had other parrots in the past?...My friend's dog is on the verge of dying soon. I feel so sad for him...He says he can handle it. (He was in the Marines and worked as a police officer later in life. So he considers himself "tough.")...But, I can tell that he's scared and holding back a lot of tears...He's all alone in this area too. (With no family around.)...His cute little dog keeps him "going." I know he'll be "crushed" if his dog dies. He says he doesn't want any more dogs or pets after this.
CA, depends on the breed of the parrot. Smaller ones like Conures, Senegals (that's TwoBee), usually live for 35 years or so. BIG parrots like Macaws live 100 or more!! No, I had never had a parrot before I rescued TwoBee. I've been learning as I go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
Thank you all for your condolences. Tomorrow will be six weeks (I am still crying). I miss her so much. It took me one month to get over the shock. One Day at a Time, right? Our little sweeties are family to us. Marcy, you know I shut myself off from Dixie the last two hours of her life. I could not hold her, I could not love her because I knew I was the person responsible pulling the plug sort to speak. Oh, it was the hardest thing I have ever done besides placing my husband in a home.

We are all in this together.
smilin', I still cry 40 years later about a dog I needed to give up because of the apartment I was living in. Pets are the best...unconditional love, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 04:48 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
Tami...Thanks for all the info about parrots. It's interesting!...I've been spending time with my friend and his dog. His dog has cancer but isn't in pain right now...I feel so sad. Have to hold back tears at times...Soon, my friend will have to put his dog to sleep. And, he'll be alone. (Without his faithful little friend and buddy.) Sad! Sad! Sad! I'm going to miss his dog too.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Default So sorry for your loss, know how you feel

Hi, I hope I am not too late on this post. My heart goes out to all here who have lost beloved companions/pets. Spouse & I have said goodbye to 6 dogs, and most recently, his blue & gold macaw, Chester (I posted on Rainbow Bridge). I say his because these birds mostly bond with one person, as in the wild they mate for life. We had been married for 32 years when Chester died & my husband had already had him for at least 5 years before we married. He was only sick one other time in his life & that was in 2009. At that time, the avian vet told us that Chester was elderly & that macaws do not live to be 100 or even 80 years old. When he died, it was sudden & unexpected & we are still stunned by it. I am here to tell you that large parrots are a lot of work and require much devotion. It's hard to find someone to care for them if you travel. It was just as hard losing Chester as it was losing the dogs. However, I sometimes think maybe it was for the best, as our only child has distanced herself from us and she never liked Chester, so we wondered who would care for him if he outlived us. Anyway, I feel for all your losses, we also feel a huge hole that will never be filled.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM

42 posts, read 77,669 times
So so sorry. Lost my husband 5/5, cat 5/7, and dog 7/17, 2 days before my husbands celebration of life service. I am surprised I am capable of getting out of bed. If I didn't have our great nephew to raise, I would be under the bed forever. Love and hugs for you.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
To the OP, would you come back and let us know how your doing from time to time....?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:05 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
CA, click on pbs.org and then click Nature. One of the episodes is called "Parrot Confidential" . That is a great episode. You will see how difficult a "pet" they can be and how overwhelmed parrot rescues are. Remember people, don't ever buy a parrot, adopt/rescue one. My TwoBee is an adopted rescue. My late Charlie, my parakeet was too. All my animals are adopted rescues.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:33 PM

335 posts, read 409,992 times
Sorry for your loses . God Bless!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
CA, click on pbs.org and then click Nature. One of the episodes is called "Parrot Confidential" . That is a great episode. You will see how difficult a "pet" they can be and how overwhelmed parrot rescues are. Remember people, don't ever buy a parrot, adopt/rescue one. My TwoBee is an adopted rescue. My late Charlie, my parakeet was too. All my animals are adopted rescues.
Tami...Thanks for the info. I'll check out the episode.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 AM

671 posts, read 690,672 times
Default how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
It is with sadness and a heavy heart that I put down my little Dixie yesterday who was suffering. I had the Vet. come to the house to put her to sleep.

Goodbye my little sweetie who was my best friend and companion, you are with Daddy now.

I am having a hard time of it.

How are you doing now? Have you taken up any of the advice given here? Has it helped?
I know that our dear pets truly can never be replaced...but, with a new focus, adopting a new pet in need can fill another place in your heart.

Also, it can open up unexpected joy and experiences elsewhere! Let us know how things are going for you...

Dandiday

Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,945 times
Hi Dandiday,

I lost my other dog 2 1/2 weeks ago. So what was left of my family is gone. It is a hard adjustment to come home to a silent house without the greeting of both of my dogs. They were vocal so they talked to me and cried for five minutes after I arrived home.

No, I have no plans to adopt another animal. I am financially on a budget and owning a pet is costly. I much prefer to visit people who own dogs and get all the love I can and go back home. I am free to travel now and do what I want to.

I cry everyday because I miss my two little girls but I guess that is the process of grief.

Thank you for your concern. I am told I am strong.

Love and blessings,
Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning