Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 03:26 PM

218 posts, read 207,755 times

Advertisements

Here we are Saturday, dropped in to catch up... I had Thanksgiving alone, first time ever I think. Yes, when in the Navy I wasn't home, but I had plenty of company .. may have been a couple of times I was away on international business, this and the 4 th July are two biggies here, but not "overseas".

A near neighbor brought mt turkey mashed potatoes and dressing and two deserts- all home made. I also had my dog Jasper and the two big dogs of friends who went to Boston to be with family there... I'd have been invited if they had hosted dinner as they have in the past. Nice to know they are comforted knowing their dogs are in my care.

I'm not sure if the holiday made me more sad than usual, hard to tell if "hurting" more or less... hum, just hurts.

Overall, can't add much up lift here, should have just read, but have learned if I am to get notified of activity here I have to be active.

Well, the dog shelter and the children at the next door day care center were nice to see/hear on Wednesday. I visited just Wednesday, will return to Tuesday/Friday next week.

Last edited by Jerry_NJ; 11-28-2015 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: two typos

Old 11-28-2015, 06:42 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_NJ View Post
Here we are Saturday, dropped in to catch up... I had Thanksgiving alone, first time ever I think. Yes, when in the Navy I wasn't home, but I had plenty of company .. may have been a couple of times I was away on international business, this and the 4 th July are two biggies here, but not "overseas".

A near neighbor brought mt turkey mashed potatoes and dressing and two deserts- all home made. I also had my dog Jasper and the two big dogs of friends who went to Boston to be with family there... I'd have been invited if they had hosted dinner as they have in the past. Nice to know they are comforted knowing their dogs are in my care.

I'm not sure if the holiday made me more sad than usual, hard to tell if "hurting" more or less... hum, just hurts.

Overall, can't add much up lift here, should have just read, but have learned if I am to get notified of activity here I have to be active.

Well, the dog shelter and the children at the next door day care center were nice to see/hear on Wednesday. I visited just Wednesday, will return to Tuesday/Friday next week.
Thank You for checking in Jerry.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:01 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Always enjoy your posts Jerry--and it is not expected to always bring a "lift" here......we try but sometimes it is difficult. Dude, Thanksgiving was lovely with my son and his family and elston work went fine. I'm feeling those Holiday blues but am really trying to keep busy. Just be happy once the Holidays are over.. One day at a time.....

Old 11-29-2015, 07:36 AM

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday......peace and love and REST.

Yesterday I planted a planter out on the lanai....with yellow snap dragons, a white petunia and a jumbo outdoor Begonia. It was such a joy to wake up this morning and see it....looking so cheerful. That is what I am thankful for today.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:11 AM

Ah, flowers in December... Florida. I have (in-law) family in Cape Coral and a fellow volunteer at the shelter who owns a place in Sanibel.. both SW part of Florida. If my wife had lived we'd likely have a home Florida near her sister, but would keep the home in NJ for a while.. that's were I sit, for a while, but no plan now to go to Florida for eol living.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:17 AM

Flowers are always a cheerful hello!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:49 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times
Thinking of ya CYN,elston,etc...... on this sunday

Peace and love to you all!!

Old 11-29-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_NJ View Post
Ah, flowers in December... Florida. I have (in-law) family in Cape Coral and a fellow volunteer at the shelter who owns a place in Sanibel.. both SW part of Florida. If my wife had lived we'd likely have a home Florida near her sister, but would keep the home in NJ for a while.. that's were I sit, for a while, but no plan now to go to Florida for eol living.
I live in Ft Myers.....about 20 mins from Cape Coral one direction and Sanibel Island the other. We moved here a little more than 3 years ago from Maine. I am glad to be here. The "snow bird" annual migration wouldnt work for us......too far to travel easily with two dogs. (Sanibel is really special....I love the Ding Darling National Wildlife Sanctuary.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:45 PM

We rented a condo in Cape Coral in 2010 (nice gated community on the Easter edge of Cape Coral).. in 2011 we rented a condo in Ft Myers - finished the first round of chemo on that visit. Then my wife met our daughter who did the driving (rental car) and they stayed in Sanibel for about a week. That was the end of my wife's ability to travel even if met by a driver. It is nice she did that, I always avoided Sanibel at too expensive, one of my shortcomings, a tight wad.

My wife also made a trip to Hawaii with her girl friend form High School, must have been in 2008 or 2009, before the cancer was diagnosed. Nice too that she had that trip. In total it was a familiar trip for her as she had been to Hawaii at least three times before that with our daughter's family when the grandchildren were pre-school. That and travels with me made her a well traveled person, and she loved it.

The first time I visited Ding Darling was in 2002, on business in the area and I thought, "if Florida, this looks like a good area"... we almost made it there, if my wife had reasonable health for a few more years we surely would have acquired a home in the area, most likely Cape Coral. I'm still able to deal with snow and being retired I can just settle down with the wood stove and enjoy it... we also liked to ski, that ended in about 2005, just a guess at this point.

Last edited by Jerry_NJ; 11-29-2015 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: date correction

Old 11-30-2015, 05:31 AM

Good posts to read here today. I needed that! It's once again raining here and looking for cold to be heading our way in a day or so. My girlfriend and I are going to Charlotte next Sunday to volunteer for Feral cats by wrapping peoples gifts and the money they pay will go towards feeding the feral cats including my area. I will have to miss church but I think God will understand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning