Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:06 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times

Advertisements

One dog was 14 and developed an aggressive gum cancer that ravaged her in 5 months. The other was 17.5 years old and had strokes and dementia and could no longer walk.

Taking them in together was the hardest decision of my dog parent life, but it was the humane thing to do. Our dogs were our "children" and now it is only me and our youngest dog who is 12 years old.

Eventually I will seek out another dog companion for us, right now the feelings of loss hang over us and it is really rough.

I have heard from several people of how often pets go shortly after their people. I am not sure that this is what played out here but it sure complicates all the grief that I experience for everyone.

Anybody else experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 08:13 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Oh, so very sorry for your losses...condolences on the death of your spouse. Must be incredibly painful...

Having to put our beloved animals down is one of the hardest situations we face in life...and you had two, together. They are so dear to us, so innocent and loving...but we must let them go when it's time.

Cuddle your youngest and remember the good times you had with the others and with your spouse. Memories can be comforting...

Old 10-20-2018, 01:43 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
HDT, I am sorry for the death of your spouse bad now your loving furbabies. When my Mom died, the last of their dogs died the night afterwards. It was traumatizing to me.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:09 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
You lost your husband and then you just lost a huge part of your support system. Whenever I've lost someone important in my life, my pets have been a huge comfort to me just by their presence. I am so sorry for your losses.

I think right now you need to focus on taking comfort from the fact that your two dogs lived long lives and were very loved. You clearly were a great dog owner. You did your job and repaid the joy and comfort they provided you. Trust me, that is an accomplishment. And one day, you will have the space in your heart to make room for more pets. For now, just be kind to yourself, cherish your remaining pet and if you have friends or any kind of community, please do reach out to them because you have had some severe losses. If you do not have a human support system, now is the time to really focus on building that up.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:28 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Sorry for you losses but I would wait a goodly period of time before taking another dog on. Let you present one know it is you two now and shower it with love, gifts, fun things to do, etc.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Sorry for you losses but I would wait a goodly period of time before taking another dog on. Let you present one know it is you two now and shower it with love, gifts, fun things to do, etc.
Exactly how I am dealing with this. There was a lot of stress over the last 5 months with the sick ones and I am just trying to settle into a normal household. I will know when the time is right to bring another in. She gets contact with other dogs in the neighborhood daily and had come to avoid the other two as is typical of situations like this.

I just need a good long rest myself and I have a counselor and support group from hospice.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:27 PM

I went to a dog rescue day at my local pet store. Took my dog along to maybe check out some potential dog companions.

We came home with a senior small dog who had been at a local rescue for 6 months. He was an extreme case of neglect turned into the shelter for euthanasia. He has come a long way just with their love and care and seems to have lots of potential to have a wonderful life. He is sweet and loving but just worn out with the kennel life and who knows what before.

I hope my other dog will warm up to him and that this will be a good fit for us all. I am very happy to have him here. Hopefully lots of love and healing all around.

Just wanted to share the news.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:43 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
I went to a dog rescue day at my local pet store. Took my dog along to maybe check out some potential dog companions.

We came home with a senior small dog who had been at a local rescue for 6 months. He was an extreme case of neglect turned into the shelter for euthanasia. He has come a long way just with their love and care and seems to have lots of potential to have a wonderful life. He is sweet and loving but just worn out with the kennel life and who knows what before.

I hope my other dog will warm up to him and that this will be a good fit for us all. I am very happy to have him here. Hopefully lots of love and healing all around.

Just wanted to share the news.
I'm so proud of you. So many never think about adopting a senior dog. I am sure they will have a great home. Thanks for what you have done.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:11 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I'm so proud of you. So many never think about adopting a senior dog. I am sure they will have a great home. Thanks for what you have done.
I have adopted both a senior dog and cat in the past. Only had about 6 years with each but they were 6 excellent years for all of us.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I have adopted both a senior dog and cat in the past. Only had about 6 years with each but they were 6 excellent years for all of us.
My last two were unwanted seniors. I had only 4 years with each but they were best 8 years of any of the dogs I've had in my lifetime. To land in a safe, loving place is something they really seem to sense and appreciate.

OP, I am so sorry for all your losses this year. I'm glad you found another dog to help you heal. I hope the two become best friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning