Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:16 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times

Advertisements

Does this pretty much apply everywhere?
And if so, I heard a physical address such as one of the "UPS Store boxes" could work.
Only reason I'm asking is because up to this point I've only been able to shoot by renting weapons at the various indoor ranges I've been going to over the past year.
I technically live and have my mail sent over to my stepdads place, but don't know how much longer I'll be over there.
This pretty much means utility bills and such are out-of-the-question for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Does this pretty much apply everywhere?
And if so, I heard a physical address such as one of the "UPS Store boxes" could work.
Only reason I'm asking is because up to this point I've only been able to shoot by renting weapons at the various indoor ranges I've been going to over the past year.
I technically live and have my mail sent over to my stepdads place, but don't know how much longer I'll be over there.
This pretty much means utility bills and such are out-of-the-question for me.
We need a little more info or at least I do in order to really give an opinion. Where do you your self call home and do you maintain a driver's license in this state...if not, where?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
We need a little more info or at least I do in order to really give an opinion. Where do you your self call home and do you maintain a driver's license in this state...if not, where?
Well, I live in CA and have a drivers license with a PO Box on it, but from what I was told by some CA gun shops I went into, that isn't going to work.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Most states, if not all, require a physical address (it may even be federal):
123 Road to Nowhere Ln. East Armpit, Iowa 00000, for example.

Just like voter registration, except buying a firearm is more serious than voting.

I have a question: CA issues driver's licenses without a physical address?

Does your stepfather live in CA? Is that where you stay? Just go to CA DMV and have a change done on your license to show his/your physical address. It doesn't matter if you're planning on moving in the next few months.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Does your stepfather live in CA? Is that where you stay? Just go to CA DMV and have a change done on your license to show his/your physical address. It doesn't matter if you're planning on moving in the next few months.
This,

Just keep in mind California's gun/ammo laws and regulations when buying a firearm in that state.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Most states, if not all, require a physical address (it may even be federal):
123 Road to Nowhere Ln. East Armpit, Iowa 00000, for example.

Just like voter registration, except buying a firearm is more serious than voting.

I have a question: CA issues driver's licenses without a physical address?

Well, I was trying to find ways around that, but I guess it'll have to be done.
As for the laws here, the whole 10-day wait garbage and all of its supplements is making it a PITA to even go through with a purchase here in this messed up state.
Kind of the whole reason why I'm debating about whether or not to just go through with it here, or wait until I've boned out.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Quote:
I have a question: CA issues driver's licenses without a physical address?.
Yes. I have lived in many areas of the state with no address. In Yosemite and Carmel are two.
I had DL's with PO boxes on them. Carmel is a large city, no addresses and no mail delivery. Everyone in Carmel must use a PO box. There are street names, but homes have names not #'s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
As for the laws here, the whole 10-day wait garbage and all of its supplements is making it a PITA to even go through with a purchase here in this messed up state..
The 10 day wait is standard thru the nation. CA had a 14 day wait but when the fed standard kicked in we relaxed the law. Many states do not have a waiting period on used weapons. You could always go to a Las Vegas gun show with cash.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post

The 10 day wait is standard thru the nation. CA had a 14 day wait but when the fed standard kicked in we relaxed the law. Many states do not have a waiting period on used weapons. You could always go to a Las Vegas gun show with cash.
Not trying to rattle your chain, but the 10-day wait is only a CA thing.
I went to a Sportsmans Warehouse in Loveland CO and they told me over there it was same-day purchase, new or used.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:51 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
There is a difference between owning a gun & buying one. You need nothing but the gun in most places to own it. Buying one usually requires proof of who exactly you are & that proof not having a real adress might cause some troubles, rightly so IMO. Here in CT if you have a permit or hunting license you can just walk in & buy rifles, handguns you need a permit but can just buy it & walk out.
I think the Federal waiting period associated with the Brady bill went away with NICS, to the best of my knowledge as far as the feds are concerened if you pass NICS you are good to go. Cali has a bunch of its own rules & laws, personally I wouldn't live there if I had an interest in guns & freedom, but thats me.

I'd say you would be better off having your step dads address on your license & use his address as a residence until you move. When you move just have it updated. In CT thats easy, but you only need to do it if you have a permit. You dont need to inform anybody if you are just moving & own guns, you only need to inform the state police if you have a permit & move. Kinda like you need to tell DMV when you move to update your license. Biggest difference is CT doesn't register guns, though CA might.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:26 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
You could always go to a Las Vegas gun show with cash.
I'm looking at picking up matching .380s for myself and my girlfriend at the Cashman show this weekend. Let me know what I'm supposed to do, k?

You have to be a Nevada resident to buy a handgun in Nevada. Clark County also has a 3 day "cooling off" period on your first handgun purchase. If you already have a "blue card" (handgun registration - stupid Clark County law that was grandfathered after the preemption law was passed), then you can buy one and walk out with it, but you still have to pay the Brady tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting