Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 AM

291 posts, read 608,153 times

Advertisements

I am going to purchase a hand gun in the near future, after I have completed a hand gun safety course. I am somewhat familiar with guns, when I was younger I would go hunting with family members, and clay pigeon shooting. I am going to reaquaint myself with guns, then make a purchase. I am also introducing my girlfriend to guns,with courses first and since she is right handed I would like to purchase a gun we can both comfortably use. I am looking for a handgun first, and then I'll move to rifles. I would love to hear everyone's idea's

Last edited by apal; 01-13-2012 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: gram
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 AM

114 posts, read 101,155 times
S&W M&P in 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP and 357 SIG. I own four at the present time. A fullsize 9mm, 357 SIG and .45 ACP. I also own a 9C (compact) 9mm. The backstraps are changeable to fit the shooters hand even and come with three different sizes. Controls are right/left or reversable too. It's a lefty dream come true. I'm a righty but love them too!

smith & wesson M&P .40S&W review and shoot - YouTube

Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 AM

See the slide-stop on BOTH the right and left side? Yeah!! The mag release is reversable to either side as well. Yet another reason why the M&P is on the rise for Government contracts and Police use!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:33 AM

I can't say enough about this new weapon. I was VERY impressed!! I don't get ga-ga goo-goo easily either! SWEEEEEEET!!

S&W M&P9: "Proven Excellence" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,617,748 times
I recommend that beginners stick with revolvers. Semi-autos can jam and can be a little difficult to get used to. I prefer either Ruger or Smith & Wesson. A .357 revolver will give plenty of power for home defense, yet you can use cheaper .38 special ammo at the gun range for practice (and less recoil). For a well made cheaper, look into Taurus. I have an old Taurus model 83 in .38 special that I love to shoot. Reliable and efficient.

Do not buy a cheap semi-auto whatever you do.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Here is another good one for you. This gal has a improper grip from the word go! It looks like she is limp-wristing as well. Yet, she still manages to pull off a good group. Just another reason how accurate these are and how easy they are to shoot. Somebody stop this gal and show her how to choke-up for the high hold to get the bore axis where she wants it. She should improve with just that alone!

Vietnamese Asian Girl Shooting Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm - Uplula Magazine Speed Loader - YouTube

Old 01-13-2012, 09:56 AM

That^ is her first time firing a handgun according to the comments! Not bad Sis!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM

291 posts, read 608,153 times
Thanks Everyone!

Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
Any handgun with ambidextrous controls will serve you well, but even without them, it's not impossible to handle them as a leftie, especially if it's a range gun and not something you're looking to carry.

I just bought a Walther PPQ 9mm myself, feels great in the hand, trigger is crisp, but in all honesty, you want to buy whatever gun feels right in your hand, and good to shoot, and that's in your budget obviously.

The aforementioned M&P is an option (though some users have rust problems on the slide), Walther PPQ, H&K's are generally ambidextrous and there's plenty of 1911 style guns that are ambi.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Any handgun with ambidextrous controls will serve you well, but even without them, it's not impossible to handle them as a leftie, especially if it's a range gun and not something you're looking to carry.

I just bought a Walther PPQ 9mm myself, feels great in the hand, trigger is crisp, but in all honesty, you want to buy whatever gun feels right in your hand, and good to shoot, and that's in your budget obviously.

The aforementioned M&P is an option (though some users have rust problems on the slide), Walther PPQ, H&K's are generally ambidextrous and there's plenty of 1911 style guns that are ambi.
If it's a first gun... "one" trigger pull is what he should be looking at. Something striker fired like a M&P or Glock. Learning a double/single just makes it that much more difficult to learn. You have to learn single and double action trigger pulls. That would be the same as a revolver and why a revolver isn't always the best choice for a first gun anymore. BTW...has anyone checked the price of .38SPL at WAL-MART lately? $17+ for a box of Winchester White Box practice ammo. 9mm is around $11-$13. 1911's aren't usually recommended for new shooters. That's something you grow into as you become more seasoned. I get nervious when I see a newb with a 1911 in condition 1 (chambered cocked and locked)! Maybe it's just me though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting