Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:49 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
After shooting a number of guns we decided on a Ruger SP101 revolver for the GF. She can operate an auto but if something does go wrong and it jams she doesn't have the hand strength to QUICKLY clear it. With a revolver, if it odesn't go bang just pull the trigger again.. It'll go bang.

We bought the SP101 in .38 for her and I found that I liked it so much that I went back an bought a second one in .357 for myself. Both are the 2-1/4 barrel.

We also have a GP100 which she likes to shoot but it's a bit large to carry. Would make a great drawer gun though.

I also agree. When confronted with danger she should lock herself in the bedroom, point the gun at the door and get the cops on the phone.... Word of advise... Keep them on the phone and make sure they can hear the entire event... Will go a long way in defending herself in court IF it goes that that way..
I agree with that advice. Keep the cops on the phone and let them hear the whole thing.

That saved my bacon, and I didn't even get a free ride down town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I agree with that advice. Keep the cops on the phone and let them hear the whole thing.

That saved my bacon, and I didn't even get a free ride down town.
Well good at least you bought her a firearm. Buy some Hornandy Critical Defense loads for both of you. They expand properly even through barriers.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I want to buy a gun for my wife for home protection only. She is willing as well as I am to get training for use but have no desire at this time to get a CC permit.
Some have suggested a shotgun but I would rather have something that we can keep in a drawer.
I have heard the young people (not us ) prefer automatic pistols but I'm thinking maybe a revolver.
Like to keep the price around $500.
Any suggestions
PDD,

Not sure if it's too late but, based on your brief, real world description I implore you look at the .327 federal snubbie. Before everyone guffaws, hear me out. The .327 federal has 4 actualcalibers you can shoot from the exact same platform. The .327 federal will also shoot the .32 H&R magnum, 32 long and finally the .32 ACP. The point is that as you go down the stack, she will find the round that she can develop the balance between accuracy, recoil management, and firepower that works for HER and NOT us, the readers. Think about this, she can shoot the potent .327 in a daytime carry, and opt for the the very, very capable .32 H&R magnum. As far as the .32 long and .32 ACP? Well,recoil management is probably more of an issue here.

Regardless, don't listen to that .22 will just **** em off speech because it's BS. More people are actua
Ly killed by .22's than most calibers save the 9mm. I have yet to meet the brave individual who is willing to stand in front of the .22 round and let me rip 10 of those at them in 2-3 seconds...NOT counting hyper velocity ammo which rivals .22 magnum performance within 15 yards??? Any caliber will kill. It's just the odds go up dramatically with larger rounds hitting the same spot. But, better to hit someone center mast with a .32 ACP than hit one in the wrist with a .38?

Again, the same platform will allow her to calibrate herself to one of four cartridges that work for her and yet, allow her to grow into the very venerable .32 H&R magnum and/or .327 federal. And she will get 6 rounds out of a package USUALLY designed for five? 6 swings at bat is always better than 5? As far as the argument for cost to practice and the ability to get .327 federal or .32 H&R magnum ammo? Blaaaaaaahhhhhhh, cheaperthandirt.com and done. Besides, by your own admission you are not going to shoot enough to worry. You can afford it.

Look at one....research the .32 H&R mag...an often overlooked caliber. It's performance rivals a .38 and penetrates about as deep....faster round too.......then look at the .327 federal.....rivals a .357 mag up to about 80 percent. More than enough......

4 calibers, one revolver...check out rugers gp and sp 101 line...solid, value gun....I believe they are the last ones making this caliber...smith used to but dropped their very fine 632 10 years ago.....check out the calibers.....note the 6 rounds......note the ballistics....it's a winner and one of the four cartridges will serve you and her well.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:08 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,500 times
Once you purchase a firearm you have the responsibility to know how and when to use it and use it well.
No sense trying to protect yourself and winding up in a cell or box.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,050,809 times
Smith and Wesson made some 32 H&R magnum revolvers, the 431 PD and 432 PD. With some new new rounds for the 32 H& R magnum from Buffalo Bore they have a bigger punch and are said to be lower recoil and lower flash. You'd get a sixth round over a similar size and recoil 5 shot 38 special like the LCR or SW bodyguard.
I was looking at one for sale new for $490. If confronted with an assailant or an intruder and you empty the gun at them an extra round might make the difference, or at least you'd have an extra round as insurance if there are more than one.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
more people are shot with their own gun...I know if you're born and raised around guns, having one is like having your right arm but this is a new century, not the 1800's.. If someone invades your home and plans on killing you, they are already a step ahead of you. You're the one being surprised, not them! I'm not even gonna talk about domestic stuff..probably falling on deaf ears here ...

Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 AM

^^^^^ Good point! Perhaps you should join us in lobbying for gun education to be back in schools and community centers!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
I'm not against guns or gun ownership....but totally for education...more people, adults too, also are unknowing but wouldn't ever admit to it. just like driver's ed is a must so should gun knowledge be

Old 09-05-2012, 04:21 AM

A mandatory marksmanship/safety class would be great.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
more people are shot with their own gun...I know if you're born and raised around guns, having one is like having your right arm but this is a new century, not the 1800's.. If someone invades your home and plans on killing you, they are already a step ahead of you. You're the one being surprised, not them! I'm not even gonna talk about domestic stuff..probably falling on deaf ears here ...
More people than what? There was a post the other day that showed that less people died from accidental firearms deaths a year than accidental deaths caused by choking on chicken bones. Your post will fall on deaf ears because you are posting nonsense. Gun safety goes with the territory of gun ownership, we all endorse it, but don't post it as some sort of reason not to own a weapon. The OP already mentioned training in his first post, he doesn't need to be lectured to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting