Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:52 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times

Advertisements

I want to buy a gun for my wife for home protection only. She is willing as well as I am to get training for use but have no desire at this time to get a CC permit.
Some have suggested a shotgun but I would rather have something that we can keep in a drawer.
I have heard the young people (not us ) prefer automatic pistols but I'm thinking maybe a revolver.
Like to keep the price around $500.
Any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:55 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
I'd suggest a .357 Stainless Steel revolver - Smith & Wesson would be my first choice (Model 65 or 686). From there, Colt or Ruger. I never recommend Taurus - IMO, they are a cheap gun that doesn't hold value.

Nice thing about a .357 - you can practice at the range with lighter, cheaper .38 loads, and then switch to .357 loads at home.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,199,385 times
I'd just spend the money on a nice revolver off the bat... What's your life worth to you? Revolvers vs. automatics, that's a different topic...

Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I want to buy a gun for my wife for home protection only. She is willing as well as I am to get training for use but have no desire at this time to get a CC permit.
Some have suggested a shotgun but I would rather have something that we can keep in a drawer.
I have heard the young people (not us ) prefer automatic pistols but I'm thinking maybe a revolver.
Like to keep the price around $500.
Any suggestions
Consider a Taser or all metal baseball bat before you put a gun an your wife's hands. With little or no practice using a weapon you might just be arming a home invader instead of your wife.

The Taser ranks high on my list of crime stoppers for average people any time of day/night.

If you just have to buy a gun for her buy a short 20gage pump shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot for stopping power. Bullets can , and do, go through walls harming innocents on the other side.

For surprise defence mount a strong 6" blade hunting knife on the headboard end of the bed , down low outta sight, as a "grab and stab weapon" should you or your wife be attacked in bed.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Everyone will have different opinions and reasoning on this. Do some research, visit a range that rents handguns and try out a few revolvers and semi autos and see what you and she like. My personal choice is a Sig SP2022 in 9mm.
It is a good idea to get something that won't break the bank (ammo costs) to take to the range and practice with.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Shotgun for home defense. Cheaper than a handgun and more effective. Can also use it like a basball bat.

Strategy- Lock yourself in the bedroom with the gun pointed at the door while calling police.

Also bear spray as was mentioned by Elkhunter many threads ago.

If you do go with a pistol just get a Glock19, I would also get a used one, much cheaper than new.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,704 times
You do not state the experience level, so the answers will vary.

My answer is the gun that fits her hand best and she can functionally use it. Most people new to firearms would be better off with a revolver, yet some women and men are not strong enough to pull the trigger, so then a Glock or Springfield XD would be a good choice but only if she can function the slide and eject the magazines.

What is the most important in my opinion when picking a gun is that the person can pick it up and it fits their hand to the point that it is aimed straight when pointed without having to be adjusted in their hand, and they also can load and unload the gun easily.

Different grips, trigger pulls etc can make a huge difference in how a person shoots. Someone new to firearms should not start right off with .357 loads and should slowly build up to that.

Using a finger strengthening tool or tennis ball to squeeze is a good way to strengthen the trigger finger if needed and will make better shooters out of most people.

A shotgun is a great home defense gun and if a 12ga is too hard for a person to handle then Mossberg makes a 410 with a pistol grip that can be loaded with 00 or 000 buck which will do the job.

When I teach people to shoot who have never handled a gun, I always start with a 22 and work up. My suggestion would be to go to a range and feel guns and then rent the guns that fit the hand, starting off with smaller calibers and working the way up to at least a 9mm or .38 spl and of course a .357 is a good choice, since as someone posted, it can be loaded with .38 spl too.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,725 times
For someone who probably will not practice and you seem determined to go with a handgun, the Taurus Judge loaded with .410 shotshells. If she has trouble with the trigger pull she can always **** the hammer and shoot it single action. Added to this the shake factor most people will experience in an actual shooting scenerio makes the shot gun loads a much better option. Smith and Wesson also makes a similar revolver now which probably is of better quality.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:27 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
She needs to go shoot a bunch of different handguns. Learn what she can use effectively. I blew up a lot of reloads before I settled on a plain old 38 with combat grips, a hair trigger, and hollowpoint man-stoppers.

But honestly...there is about a 90% chance she would be better off with the baseball bat/bear spray/taser. Women hesitate and whomever has invaded your home will just take the gun from her. Or you will buy a lock for the gun and keep the ammo someplace else because you are worried about safety/kids. That makes the weapon worthless. Then you have to wonder if she would actually shoot someone? Could she pull the trigger? She shouldn't have a gun until you both KNOW the answer is yes. She also needs to be able to shoot well enough to take out multiple attackers.

When you shoot someone, they don't just fall down like TV or the movies. First they tend to get really angry. If we assume your wife is taught to always fire 3 slugs at a time, depending on where the perp is hit, she still may have to be able to defend herself for several minutes.

Even better would be to learn self defense. Nothing surprises an attacker more than a woman who can defend herself. Plus it keeps you in great shape and you learn how to be aware of your surroundings. You learn how to think more like a man. You look for potential attackers instead of pondering what you will serve for dinner. Or what shoes match that black bag. Seriously, most women are oblivious.

Who said buy a 22? Unless you get a really lucky shot, all you are going to do is make the perp angry.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:47 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
For someone who probably will not practice and you seem determined to go with a handgun, the Taurus Judge loaded with .410 shotshells. If she has trouble with the trigger pull she can always **** the hammer and shoot it single action. Added to this the shake factor most people will experience in an actual shooting scenerio makes the shot gun loads a much better option. Smith and Wesson also makes a similar revolver now which probably is of better quality.
Thanks, that seems to be our best option. We are both too old to start taking self defense courses and you are correct will will not be doing any target shooting other than to learn how shoot the damn thing.

Funny thing is asking about a gun purchase is similar to asking "which car should I buy"? Everbody has their favorite which just happens to be the best.

Thanks for all the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting