Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 AM

64 posts, read 109,317 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I shoot guns but I don't hunt, so need some help with this.
Last weekend (Saturday) my cat came home bleeding and his left rear leg was completely limp. I found out he got shot and it was likely a low grade shotgun from close range based on the spread but also as it his his rear and rear left leg I suspect my cat was running away from the shooter.
My cat is completely gray color and this happened in daylight somewhere between 2-5pm.

It's possible a neighbor did this with a temper and likely out of protecting his cat (from a catfight) but also very possible a hunter as we are near prime popular hunting land.

The wound was bad enough on his femur that the bone split apart and had to have his leg amputated, so kids are upset and I have a big bill to pay the vet just in time for Christmas.

So what I'm wondering is there any chance a hunter would have mistaken my cat for something else and if so what?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Zero

Someone shot your cat on purpose. To be honest, feral cats can be a huge problem to someone with chickens or what not. Someone may have thought your cat was a problem animal. It still sucks though.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Default Revenge?

I'd probably have a big problem if I ever found out who did that.

I'd be constrained by the laws naturally, but I would wish I wasn't. No-one has the right to do this. And the suffering of your cat? I wonder how the shooter would like to have his leg amputated after a shotgun had mangled it?

Apparently during our infamous Civil War, this sort of outcome was common with the troops, especially with those cannons that fired grapeshot, or a soft lead balled musket that hit a solid bone. & then splintered into about 6 pieces! Plus, no anesthesia. Ouch.

Anyhow, best of luck to your cat! Three-legged cats & dogs do quite well, actually, and hopefully he learned who to avoid.... If only he could talk, huh?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
How awful. Could you possibly make your cat an INDOOR-ONLY kitty? They live 3 or 4 times as long, on average.

Best to you and your family (including the kitty) on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:32 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
I don't let my dogs roam around off my property unleashed and/or unsupervised. Why should cat owners have that luxury.

You say leashes on cats arn't feasible? Then don't have cats. BTW do you follow your cat around cleaning up its crap in your neighbor's yards?

Roaming Cats Kill Up to a Billion Birds a Year, American Bird Conservancy Reports - ABC News

Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerI View Post
Hi,

I shoot guns but I don't hunt, so need some help with this.
Last weekend (Saturday) my cat came home bleeding and his left rear leg was completely limp. I found out he got shot and it was likely a low grade shotgun from close range based on the spread but also as it his his rear and rear left leg I suspect my cat was running away from the shooter.
My cat is completely gray color and this happened in daylight somewhere between 2-5pm.

It's possible a neighbor did this with a temper and likely out of protecting his cat (from a catfight) but also very possible a hunter as we are near prime popular hunting land.

The wound was bad enough on his femur that the bone split apart and had to have his leg amputated, so kids are upset and I have a big bill to pay the vet just in time for Christmas.

So what I'm wondering is there any chance a hunter would have mistaken my cat for something else and if so what?
What type of area do you live in? I live in a small town of 60 people...and it's not uncommon to shoot feral cats. Is it possible someone thought it was a stray?

For Kitty's well-being I'd suggest keeping him inside from now on!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I don't let my dogs roam around off my property unleashed and/or unsupervised. Why should cat owners have that luxury.

You say leashes on cats arn't feasible? Then don't have cats. BTW do you follow your cat around cleaning up its crap in your neighbor's yards?

Roaming Cats Kill Up to a Billion Birds a Year, American Bird Conservancy Reports - ABC News
I'm in a rural area with big yards, there are lots of cats roaming around and often dogs too. He has 3 cats and lots of other animals so presumably he is not offended by that but no I don't clean up after him and just for some context his cats often come on our property, my kids love them and pet them but the cat he used to have years ago would come over at least once a day and pick a fight with my older cat - once even costing a vet bill. I never brought it up with him as to me it was just the consequences of having an outdoor cat.
Sorry, I just think shooting pets is on a whole other level, a person has anger problems that go beyond the norm.

As to your link, I'm sure roaming cats do kill birds, so do hunters, its a part of life and not the same category as harm to pets, at least in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Thanks for your replies, really I think it was this neighbor I mentioned, I just wanted to rule out it being a hunter and an accident.
By the way, the neighbor in question always wears a baseball cap and waves hello when he passes on his tractor (he often even cleared our driveway just as a nice gesture), yesterday he had a full parka on with hood done all the way up (this was a fairly warm day with no rain) and he turned to the side to avoid looking our way and no wave or anything else - sort of trying to avoid any notice.

It kind of sucks because we always got on well with him for years, now I'm not even sure what I want to do...

Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerI View Post
I'm in a rural area with big yards, there are lots of cats roaming around and often dogs too. He has 3 cats and lots of other animals so presumably he is not offended by that but no I don't clean up after him and just for some context his cats often come on our property, my kids love them and pet them but the cat he used to have years ago would come over at least once a day and pick a fight with my older cat - once even costing a vet bill. I never brought it up with him as to me it was just the consequences of having an outdoor cat.
Sorry, I just think shooting pets is on a whole other level, a person has anger problems that go beyond the norm.

As to your link, I'm sure roaming cats do kill birds, so do hunters, its a part of life and not the same category as harm to pets, at least in my opinion.

Both cat and dog owners should control their pets and keep them from roaming. BTW Hunters PAY for the priviledge to hunt and harvest game through licensing, ammo and gun fees as well as millions of dollars in charitable contribuitons for wildlife habitat restoration and preservation. Did you pay a fee to license your cat to mitigate it's potential destructive effect on wildlife?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
cats roam large areas by habit, it's possible somebody else shot your cat, like a hunter, or teenagers thinking it's fun

I wouldnt point the finger at the neighbor too soon, especially if he knows it's your cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting