Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM

398 posts, read 545,614 times

Advertisements

No offense to anyone, but I am rather surprised that more folks here are not talking about guns that have been passed-down in their family. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I would have thought that families where gun-owning is rathermuch a tradition, there would be one or two old bolt-action .22 cal that had been passed from father to son to grandson. Have I been looking at too many Norman Rockwell prints? Anyone?

FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
No offense to anyone, but I am rather surprised that more folks here are not talking about guns that have been passed-down in their family. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I would have thought that families where gun-owning is rathermuch a tradition, there would be one or two old bolt-action .22 cal that had been passed from father to son to grandson. Have I been looking at too many Norman Rockwell prints? Anyone?

FWIW.
When my parents moved after I graduated high school, my dad left me his two Marlin .22s. A single shot bolt and a 10 shot semi. Great for plinking or the occasional squirrel and rat. I've also inherited shotguns from grandfathers.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:05 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Try this!

Oddly, and to my surprise, I have had exactly 3 Marlin type 60s (one was a more recent version, the Mdl 990) and all three did the exact same thing: they jammed when cycling. Every time.

The first one I had in my shop I simply cleaned. It was quite dirty inside, and that was all it took.

The second one, quite old (about 40 yrs!) was internally dirty as well, but the owner had also taken a liking to the hot hi-velocity 22 stuff, like 22 Vipers and the like . All of this that older rifle did not like. I talked the guy into staying away from it, noting that the hot-shot .22s also often did not perform as accurately with their lighter bullets and hot powder charges.

The third one, the 990, a near-pristine Ducks Unlimited Commemorative, can't seem to work properly. I've replaced the extractor, the ejector and the main recoil spring. I also, of course, cleaned the heck out of it and polished anything that looked a bit rough. Still, no go. It jams every time. I tried to wend it in to Marlin: no go!

Marlin, (we gunnies call them Remlins or Marlingtons...) the newest iteration of that once-reliable company, is now owned by Remington. They won't work on these older models any more (it's like trying to have your Electrolux vacuum cleaner fixed by Dyson; the new Marlin feels they are not responsible for the old Marlin's product. Different company they say. Plus, the 60s and 990 are, according to them, old and ou of date.)

So I've sent it in to Ahlmen's in MN. They are teh official Msrlin autoloading 22 repair center. I"ve asked them to tell me just exactly what is is/was that is causing this problem, since I can't see any issues.

My point? The Marlin autoloaders may have lost some of their charm for me. I recommend the Ruger 10/22. I just picked one up at a regional hardware chain store here in WA St (Bi-Mart), where they had them on dale on Black Friday for (wait for it!) $169! THis is lower than my cost from a distributor, and I'd also then have to pay freight.

You can then enjoy yourself with a load of aftermarket improved parts. Fact is, you can make a Ruger 10/22 entirely out of non-Ruger parts! Literally everything on the originals can be upgraded. The most common upgrades are an improved trigger (for the basic the factory one, if it isn't the Target model...) is quite creepy. Next most popular upgrades are stocks, followed by better barrels. Try these guys, though they do mostly high-end and very custom stuff. But their rep and quality is the best:

https://www.volquartsen.com/

Bottom line: some of the 10/22 versions are fairly inexpensive but also a highly reliable option. It's nifty rotary 10 round clip is nice, and you can also get a 20 round banana clip for it! There's even a kit that makes your 10/22 into an imitation Thompson Sub-machine gun (semi-auto only of course...)!

I also have a lovely Marlin Mdl 39 take-down lever gun, in true western lever gun style, but those are now, I believe, a bit spendy. Not sure if anyone now makes a single shot bolt gun new any more.

Beware of gun show autoloading Marlins IMHO. They might well be there because they have taken to jamming frequently. If a guy or a gun shop at a show is selling one "as is", you should perhaps be suspicious. If you can get a trial test-fire period with it, then OK. Test it out!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Hey guys....how about this: Remington 597 Scoped Combo – Dunham's Sports

OR: http://www.dunhamssports.com/product...mi-auto-combo/

Last edited by Vizio; 11-30-2012 at 11:53 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I would have bought a Ruger 10/22 at Dick's but the Black Friday sale price of $179 was back up to $229 minus a rebate of $20. Had to pass. Hopefully the price will drop again or cabelas will have a similar sale.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:53 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd like one for rabbit and squirrel hunting. I don't have a lot of $$ to spend, and was looking for some suggestions. I looked at Walmart tonight and saw them ranging from $168 or so to $500. I saw a Henry Repeating rifle that was $297. They also had some semi-automatics that looked like assault rifles...but they just looked gimmicky to me.

Suggestions?
A twenty two rifle or handgun is a great choice Vizio. I am in my sixties now and was lucky to grow up on a farm and own a twenty two from a very early age. My Dad insisted I learn how to shoot with a Single Shot. He was a fantastic marksmen and he instilled in me the idea that the one shot should be enough.

My personal favorite in the .22LR rifles is the Ruger M-77. It is a bolt action with a ten round rotary clip. I like the open sights but as my eyesight gets weaker I have started using scopes. Learning how to hit moving targets with a scope is almost like learning how to shoot all over again but it is fun.

In handuns I like the Thompson Contenders with at least one .22LR barrel. I prefer the 14 inch and I have one with glass on it and another barrel with just open sights. The beauty of the Contender is that you can own dozens of different barrels in various calibers with just one gun.

For less than $20 I can buy a 550 round box of .22 LR ammo at the local Wal Mart. The same amount of money will only buy 10 to 20 rounds of ammo in the "big boy" guns.

GL2

Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Big 5 is a very large sporting good store/chain. I don't know why, but almost every one of them I have seen or been to, was close to a Lowes. No clue why, just what I have observed. Course, I've only seen 4 or 5 of them.
Big 5 is a sleeper, they don't advertise a lot of their rifles but they have the best prices around our town.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Default Thinking of buying a .22

Honestly if I were to go semi auto i would go with the Ruger 10-22, but if you want to go bolt action there are plenty of brands in a decent price range to choose from, savage and marlin both have a good bolt action in 22 for around $200.00

Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Savage Mk II bolt action 10 round mags very accurate. mine has sling and bipod on it with scope. Pops little critters from a fair distance.
Yes and I think it has the Accutrigger which has been getting a lot of positive attention.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd like one for rabbit and squirrel hunting. I don't have a lot of $$ to spend, and was looking for some suggestions. I looked at Walmart tonight and saw them ranging from $168 or so to $500. I saw a Henry Repeating rifle that was $297. They also had some semi-automatics that looked like assault rifles...but they just looked gimmicky to me.

Suggestions?
Do not buy anything plastic. I bought one of those cheap Walmart .22 rifles and it is total garbage. Are you in Missouri? I'll give the damn thing to you.

Pay a little more. Get a decent gun.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting