Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

In most states its illegal to hunt with semi automatic weapons. I'd agree with that. You can have too many wild follow up shots and that poses a risk to other huters as well as other people nearby in houses or cars. That and its a question of sport. Take a steady aimed shot and if you miss, work on your aim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:00 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
No it's not,
Many shotguns are semi auto.
Your limited to 3 shells and you must have a plug in the tube to limit it to 3 shells.
I duck hunt with a rem 1100.
I also squirrel hunt with a 10/22 with a 40rd mag, thats a semi auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
In most states its illegal to hunt with semi automatic weapons. I'd agree with that. You can have too many wild follow up shots and that poses a risk to other huters as well as other people nearby in houses or cars. That and its a question of sport. Take a steady aimed shot and if you miss, work on your aim.

Last edited by snofarmer; 12-17-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperParatus View Post
wow...
first

PS: for first time AR rifle buyers before you buy let me tell you this:resist buying a tacticoool 16" collapsing stock style,there good at plinkin and shootin small game under 150 meters...and scaring the sh** outta big brother besides that their crap..get a 6.8 instead,love this caliber,the gf loves it too...and its not a 22...if u like the 223 caliber buy a 10/22 and 50rd clips instead and shoot for 5cents a round
I bought my 5.56 AR for self defense (lord, I hope it never comes to that though). I also bought it so I could start practicing with long range shots. Most of my shooting practice has been on a pistol or a .22 rifle, I wanted something with more power that could serve a double purpose. I don't plan on hunting big game with it, I'd either get a 6.8 upper or a .270 bolt action for that.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
I was hunting with a Remington 760 semi-auto 30.06 long before ARs became popular.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:46 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Can you legally take mountain lions? We have Puma here, but the state of NH is somewhat timid when it comes to admitting it. These weigh around 800 pound roughly. Are these the same as your lions?

I wouldn't want to try a .223 on one.. Of course I would be with in a few feet yards maybe..

Old man next door once, called me to get a cat out of his trash on a enclosed porch. I just about made a diamond squeezing my cheeks so hard backing out.

Back east big and slow works a lot better than light and fast. Just too much dense foliage and hard trees everywhere.

So far I have not seen any hunters in the field with AR's or AK's yet. I don't varmint hunt except in my garden either.
800 has to be a typo. Lol. Think you meant 80. Yep...the 223good drops em like a bad habit. Tag for cat is 8 bucks. We are dripping in them and they are hard on livestock. Nasty as they are the dont die hard. A 22 mag kills them dead to. A 62good gr Vmax is more than enough.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM

510 posts, read 888,934 times
Mountain lions might get up to 200 lbs on the high end around here. They have a very compact heart/lungs, so you only need a small bullet to kill them(more about shot placement than overall tissue damage). .22 mags would work, but we have to use centerfire, so .223 is a good choice. For deer/bear/elk we have to start with .24 cal, 4 in barrel min, centerfire. Though in the past (before the regs) I've known of guys that have successfully used .22-250 for elk, and it is not much more than a .223 on caffiene.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,934 times
Ever had a trespasser point a gun at you when you catch them in your deer stand on your property? My uncle has, and hunting with an AR becomes a lot more attractive after an episode like that, even to a Missouri farm boy. And to folks that have killed a lot of deer with well-placed .22 LR rounds, there is no ethical dilemma about using the vastly more powerful 5.56 on deer. It is tops for coyotes and hogs, too, as has already been pointed out. AR's are seriously the ultimate utility rifle, as they are a great weapon for an experienced hunter and shooter, and will fill the role of a defensive rifle or a match rifle easily as well. Lightweight, low recoil, and accurate. Three of the most important attributes for a utility rifle. To me, especially in SW MO, where there are no grizzlies, but plenty of meth heads and pot growers, these attributes trump big bullets any day.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I guess you don't hunt birds like Dove or Ducks? These travel in flocks and multi fast shots are needed.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,934 times
To the poster who thinks old timers gravitate to the "unsexy"(is there such a thing as an unsexy bottlenecked cartridge?) calibers like the '06, I have a good friend(60 years old) who has killed lots of deer with a .222 since his childhood. He is still doing it. My uncles(50's and 60's) predominantly use .243, but I have one(the best hunter of the family, who taught me) who has been using the .204 Ruger for a few years now and is in love with it. Admittedly, 60 is on the bottom end of the old-timer scale(especially since I turn forty next year), but I know a LOT of these guys who like hunting with light guns and small bullets. Check out the effects of Barnes-X 55 gr. .223 bullets on deer. You'll see that with modern bullets, the .22 centerfires are fully capable deer guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting