Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 03:19 PM

82 posts, read 92,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Original HK 91's are $4000 which is a bit much for me for one gun.

The PTR's have had any bugs they had worked out of them and the GI model seems to run reliably by all reports.
I've seen my fair share of Vector Arms, Century Arms and Hesse to be SCARED of any parts gun knockoffs that aren't genuine HK. Maybe they work for a "range plinker" type shooter. Run the hell out of one 2k, 3k, 4k.....10k rounds... get it so hot the barrel is smoking and get back to me on that one.

HK is a gold standard of German engineering. It's kinda like taking your BMW down to Wal-mart to get worked on. That fresh out of tech school 18-21 year old kid is "lost".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_Next View Post
I've seen my fair share of Vector Arms, Century Arms and Hesse to be SCARED of any parts gun knockoffs that aren't genuine HK. Maybe they work for a "range plinker" type shooter. Run the hell out of one 2k, 3k, 4k.....10k rounds... get it so hot the barrel is smoking and get back to me on that one.

HK is a gold standard of German engineering. It's kinda like taking your BMW down to Wal-mart to get worked on. That fresh out of tech school 18-21 year old kid is "lost".
PTR's are not parts guns but all new production on some HK G3 tooling from Portugal and some of their own tooling. They had a few problems a little while ago because they went for accuracy with .308 ammo and used shallow flutes and tighter tolerances but customers didn't like that so they have reverted to the original flutes for the PTR 91 GI model so it eats 7.62 NATO and .308 with no problems. People that have compared the PTR's to the original HK 91's find them just as good or better.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:30 PM

82 posts, read 92,463 times
Quote:
PTR's are not parts guns but all new production on some HK G3 tooling from Portugal and some of their own tooling. They had a few problems a little while ago because they went for accuracy with .308 ammo and used shallow flutes and tighter tolerances but customers didn't like that so they have reverted to the original flutes for the PTR 91 GI model so it eats 7.62 NATO and .308 with no problems. People that have compared the PTR's to the original HK 91's find them just as good or better.
I've never owned or shot a PTR, so I'm no expert on them. I have seen these other knockoffs not work and seen some very angry owners who could have bought a M1A or an AR for about the same money that DID work. I own several genuine HKs and have nothing but good things to say about them. I've shot the "good stuff" in Class III versions as well. The MP5-N remains an all time favorite SMG with me. I also own a P30 in 9mm, USP .40 and some P7 PSPs in 9mm.

HK makes top notch stuff. Please be careful gents. Maybe they will let you test fire a used one before plunking down that kind of coin so you don't get screwed. I don't want to see it, and I'm sure you don't either.

Good luck guys...just be careful...ok?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:14 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperParatus View Post
Hey yall gotta question:does anyone own a ptr91(hk91 clone)? with the recent run on all AR15 gear the price of ARs and its parts ammo and mags have skyrocketed so thinkin on getting a ptr91 instead..they sell for 1200 but mags are 2-10 bucks a piece so itll end up being bout the same price as an ar15 but lot more practical and reliable..i could hunt big game with open sights out to 300 easy enough...plus 223 ammos now bout equal with 308..

to you who own one,how you like it? I know the hk91 aint perfect but its pretty much a 308 ak47,very tough..reasonably accurate and cheaper then fal or m1a or ar10 and im tight on money...I could buy 20 mags for 50 bucks or 2 fal,m1a or ar10 mags..id rather buy a cheaper non perfect gun now so I can practice and have more money for practice ammo

the PTR-91 is great, it is not a german made HK-91, but it is the closest thing to it. shoots great and looks just like the HK. I own 12 of them, and have plans on getting more if possible.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the PTR-91 is great, it is not a german made HK-91, but it is the closest thing to it. shoots great and looks just like the HK. I own 12 of them, and have plans on getting more if possible.
What kind of crazy wack-a-loon has 12 guns...OH wait a minute never mind........

Old 06-06-2013, 07:17 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
,,,People that have compared the PTR's to the original HK 91's find them just as good or better.
I always get a laugh from people who claim brand X is as good as or better than name brand. If the product was of any quality it can stand on it's own name alone.
I have read it before on many forums, my Eastman mandolin is better than a 1927 Gibson Loyd Loar. My Hyundai is better than a BMW,,,,

I owned a HK91, it tore up the brass too much for me so I sold it. I do still own a HK M3 shotgun, love it.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:43 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post

I owned a HK91, it tore up the brass too much for me so I sold it.
That's an inherent issue in the design that ends up violently ejecting the brass and to toss it up and away from the shooter. Not uncommon with military weapons as they don't care so much about reusing brass that ends up on a battlefield.

One way to address that issue is to use a port buffer and that cuts down on a lot of those issues.

HK91 Port Buffer and Carry Handle for HK 91 G3 PTR91 HK93 HK33 and CETME, RTG Gun Parts

Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
One way to address that issue is to use a port buffer and that cuts down on a lot of those issues.
The way I choose was to sell off the carbine. Many other choices.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:18 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_Next View Post
I'd be careful of HK clones.

There's only "1" HK.

since PTR bought the entire machinery, tools, all designs, and even had the HK engineers come out and got with PTR to make a US made HK-91, I would say that the PTR-91 is the next best thing to an actual HK-91. I own more than 1 of these rifles, and I love them all.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 PM

664 posts, read 1,036,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I always get a laugh from people who claim brand X is as good as or better than name brand. If the product was of any quality it can stand on it's own name alone.
I have read it before on many forums, my Eastman mandolin is better than a 1927 Gibson Loyd Loar. My Hyundai is better than a BMW,,,,

I owned a HK91, it tore up the brass too much for me so I sold it. I do still own a HK M3 shotgun, love it.
Agreed, y'all might want to watch this. I always love guns where....."well..it's a good weapon IF you do this,this,this and this.....".

Nah, just give me the Glock that works out of the box....know what I mean?

Reminds me of Kimber.........."well.....IF"...

PTR 91 GI Model Review - Part 1 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting