Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

I bought my first gun when I was 18 years old, back in the fall of 1998. I was a senior in high school at the time. The gun was a Mossberg 500 Persuader. I bought it because a guy that I worked with was a big gun enthusiast and as I listened to him discuss his interests, I became intrigued. I did not have my 2nd Amendment rights in mind, I did not intend to use the gun to hunt, I simply wanted a good starter gun to go out and shoot every once in a while.

Today I own guns as a hobby, for home defense, and as a civic duty. OP, I enjoyed reading your post about how you gradually became convinced to become a responsible owner of firearms. Specifically I appreciate that you shared your experience with a seasoned gun owner who helped you assimilate into gun ownership. This is something that is SEVERELY overlooked these days, and that is the enthusiasm with which gun owners will share their knowledge of safety, responsibility, technique, and skill refinement with others. Sean Hannity made this same point on his radio show just last week. I think that several reasons for this exist. First, if you love something, you want to talk about it. You want to share what you know about it with someone else. This is pretty self explanatory. But another reason I suspect is because gun owners know that their rights are under attack. The government and media wants to paint the gun owner as this crazy wacko who is just looking for a reason to shoot some crowded place up. But the truth is that we value gun safety, we value the rule of law, we value the skill and discipline required to use a firearm the way it should be used. And we want other gun owners to value these qualities as well.

So once again, I applaud you for not letting your fears stop you from pursuing and enjoying a Constitutional right. Thank you for sharing your story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
I own them because I can eat deer, rabbits and squirrels. I own fishing poles because I like to eat catfish and crappie. It's just a tool.

Last edited by Vizio; 02-12-2013 at 09:59 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,885 times
Well I never had guns until 3 years ago. I grew up in anti gun Ill-Annoy and I was dirt poor as a kid.
I spent all of my time working and I wore myself out and made myself rich in the process...

I've always been conservative, I never would question anyone's right to arms I just literally never had time or $$$ I wanted to spend on guns, not to mention the ridiculous FOID card they have...

So I finally start to get burnt out with all the work and I decided to hang it up in 2008. My timing was perfect and it wasnt hard for me to see the collapse coming, I actually profited handsomly...

After severe disappointment in Bush in general and the 08 colapse I started digging deeper into things with all the investing, trading and following markets and became Libertarian...

It wasnt long after that and 0bamas election that I found my new hobby, GUN NUTTERY

Last edited by Earlyretired; 02-13-2013 at 02:20 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
I own firearms, because I was raised with them, I raise my children with them, and I neither trust criminals nor the government to do what is right.
people will think I am nuts, but no government has lasted forever, and i would rather have what is mine, than have some jerkwad think they can come take what belongs to me without a fight.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Why do I own guns? Because my guard dog cannot run 2800 feet per second, and it's darn difficult to chase down an elk and club them to death. This is Elk that I cut up just yesterday. Sautrday 2-17-2013.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 PM

Mouthwatering, ElkHunter. Last fall was supposed to be my first season of hunting, but my wife and I ended up having to move and I spent deer season house hunting. Oh well, here in VA getting a deer tag is easy, and I'll be better prepared this upcoming year.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Why do I own guns? Because my guard dog cannot run 2800 feet per second, and it's darn difficult to chase down an elk and club them to death. This is Elk that I cut up just yesterday. Sautrday 2-17-2013.
Mighty tasty looking Wapiti Hunter

Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:

How many lbs of meat did you get from the Elk? How long does it last you?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
How many lbs of meat did you get from the Elk? How long does it last you?
I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Let's get back on topic.

I got about 90 lbs off that hind quarter. We split up the elk, myself and my kids. 4-5 months of meat.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Let's get back on topic.

I got about 90 lbs off that hind quarter. We split up the elk, myself and my kids. 4-5 months of meat.
The topic is "why I own guns." "4-5 months of meat" seems pretty on topic to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting