Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:50 AM

181 posts, read 435,596 times

Advertisements

I'm a Benelli M4 man and I also own a model 97 Trench gun. The Benelli has a large capacity tube, an 8 round saddle added to the side and a red dot sight mounted on top. It's my go to gun for people who don't belong in my house. The trench gun is just a great ol Shotty that I picked up at a show and take care of though she could still fire in anger.

I prefer 2 separate rounds to load, one is the Winchester PDX1 which is a hybrid round with both a slug and buckshot in the round. The other I like is a round that uses number 1 buckshot, Remington makes a great load with number 1 buck and after ballistics testing number 1 buck showed a 77% greater chance to create a wound channel that was deadly.

The Winchester PDX1 releases almost 600 grains of lead per round.....it's a truly great PD round. In Iraq it wasn't uncommon to see a hadji take 3 or 4 pops from a 9mm and 3 from the M4(M16) but 1 round of PDX and it was lights out. Of course when the bad guy is in shotgun range things are already getting interesting.

What's your favorite Shotty, and which rounds do you prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Any particular reason you posted this in the Idaho thread? Probably would be better in the U.S. general thread. To be more exact, what does your question have to do with Idaho, specifically? Just curious.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 PM

274 posts, read 471,759 times
Cherry flavored... with sprinkles.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:40 PM

123 posts, read 263,277 times
butterscotch

Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM

88 posts, read 153,915 times
Default back to the subject at hand

Deadtime,
I have a Savage light 12 auto that was left to me by my uncle, only shoot lowbase birdshot from it. Also have a couple of personal defense type shotguns that I keep loaded with slugs. Those PDX1 rounds sound nice are they available locally?
I'm glad you posted here as guns and shooting are my hobby and of interest to me. If I see a subject on the forum that doesn't interest me, I just don't go there. To each his own, right?
Steve

Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 PM

181 posts, read 435,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1950 View Post
Deadtime,
I have a Savage light 12 auto that was left to me by my uncle, only shoot lowbase birdshot from it. Also have a couple of personal defense type shotguns that I keep loaded with slugs. Those PDX1 rounds sound nice are they available locally?
I'm glad you posted here as guns and shooting are my hobby and of interest to me. If I see a subject on the forum that doesn't interest me, I just don't go there. To each his own, right?
Steve
You can get the Winchester PDX1 loads in several sizes and all locally. Or you can order a case wholesale, it comes in 410, 16 and 12. Every good sporting good store should carry the stuff, I know Cabelas and wholesale sporting goods carrys the boxs and they are actually not that expensive.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Any particular reason you posted this in the Idaho thread? Probably would be better in the U.S. general thread. To be more exact, what does your question have to do with Idaho, specifically? Just curious.
Moved to Guns and Hunting forum.

I shoot trap (poorly, I might add, but I enjoy it). Remington 1100 is my choice. Have an 870, but I prefer the autoloader.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
I have several. My Favorite all around shooting is my 1986 Browning Citori O/U Lighting Field.

Favorite hunting is my 1963 Browning Light 12.

I dont prefer any factory shells over another. After probably 10,000+ rounds fired in the last 35 years they are all fairly equal.

A buddy of mine did perfect a hand load that allowed us to reach out and kill geese at about 75yards on a full choke consistently back when we still used lead in the early 80's. That was probably my favorite shell.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
I own several as well, All pumps currently except for one old but very nice side by side made in NY USA around 1930.

These are for bustin clays and upland bird hunting. I own reloading tools for 12 and 16 ga but haven't used them in a while, but i can....

I have been thinking of buying a Defense 12 purpose made, but with no pistol grip. Something in a pump gun, still full stocked, 18 and 1/4 inch to 22 maybe with a red dot, and a light, in a plastic stock. If i do it will be my first plastic long gun...

I have a .45 with a poly frame too, but it took some getting used to the plastic above real walnut wood.

I miss a couple Shot guns i sold or traded.. One was a real beater single shot top break 12Ga by Iver Johnson, cut to 18 and 1/4 inch. It had a brass bead on the muzzle end and a big of brake tubing cut sweetly and blued as a rear peep sight.

That gun was loads of fun and i used it for everything. The fact the butt stock was in rough shape just added character.

The other gun I miss most is a LC Smith also cut to 18 and 1/4 inch in side by side. It was a semi beater too when i bought it, and it did everything as well. I traded that for a Ruger single six.

Both guns were cut off by someone long before me, and whom ever did the work did a fine job, not cobby and Bubbaed a bit..

Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,307 times
Mine are either for hunting or clays. My favorite is a Fox Sterlingworth SXS in 16 ga., though I'm not as good a shot with it as with my Ithaca 37, or my target gun, a 12 ga. Beretta Silver Snipe O.U. with a custom stock and 30 " ported barrels. That one is sweet as well.
I never owned an autoloader and I think once I have some $$ I will get one for upland birds- maybe a 20 Ga. Remington Upland special, or something along those lines by Benelli or Beretta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting