Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:02 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,969,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Gosh, you're funny. Honest. That was hysterical. Really.

Surely, if you think it's that easy to disarm someone, you can find MANY examples of it happening. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your research.
Disarming someone isn't all the difficult, if you are within arms reach of them. Once an adversary gets within reach of you, the firearm no longer becomes a deterrent or a benefit, it becomes a distraction to your defense. That is because you have two things to worry about, your firearm being taken away and the individual causing you harm. Now this causes a lot of people here to get all ruffled because no one thinks anyone can get their firearm, you know, the training and so on. The fact is that once you're face to face or in actual physical contact with someone else, that firearm is practically useless against someone who knows what they are doing. That grates the nerves of many I know but that doesn't change things. This is why though, people who carry firearms for personal defense need to have a very good level of hand to hand defense training as that is what will save your life in a contact situation, not the firearm in your holster.

Few training or skill building courses spend much time on unarmed defense and rightfully so, they are designed to train for armed defense. Take an unarmed defense course though and you'll see just how fast and efficiently someone can defeat the person who has a firearm in their holster. That too probably gets a loud retort but that is from the uninformed and untrained.

I know, no one is ever going to get your (not personal here-generally speaking) gun. It happens more than you think.

For that reason, concealed carry has a significant advantage, if properly accomplished, that open carry.

Open carry is a statement, concealed carry is defense. Once engaged in a physical confrontation, open carry is a distraction to your being able to defend yourself. We'd all like to think that were the situation to arise, that it is some distance away but within the effective range of our capabilities but that isn't how things work. Even with limited training, most individuals can meet the challenge of armed defense if the target is across the room. Now think about what happens when they are next to you and reaching for your firearm opens you up to attack. Against the typical undesirable you might have a chance, against someone intent on doing you harm, you will likely lose unless you have some good unarmed defense training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 01:55 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,490,296 times
^^^^ So stop blathering and show us the number of instances where an average person open carrying was disarmed and made a victim with their own gun!

Let's see it.....

Can you say strawman argument?

As for OC being a statement...what you did was called PROJECTING!

Maybe for YOU that's what it would be like.

I've OC'd and it wasn't a statement, in fact if attention was the goal then you'd be pretty disappointed by doing it because 99.9% of the population doesn't even notice when someone OC's

Old 03-04-2014, 03:09 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,140,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I love seeing open carry, if I need a gun in seconds I see where to get one.
This brings up the situation I wanted to ask you folks. I am a 62 year old somewhat disabled women. I don't have or carry a gun currently where I am in MA. However in a couple years I willl be moving to WV and I will be out and about on my scooter. I do plan to carry a gun, [after taking classes etc].

The question is whether to open carry or Concealed carry. If I open carry I think that makes me more of a target, since thugs, [for lack of a better word] would see the gun and figure easy chance to get a gun, let alone rob me or whatever.
However if I concealed carry, and I am threatened they are not going to expect me to pull out a gun.

If it were your grandmother, which would you advise open carry or concealed. and please not you should not have a gun, that is not an option.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:20 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,285,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Disarming someone isn't all the difficult, if you are within arms reach of them. Once an adversary gets within reach of you, the firearm no longer becomes a deterrent or a benefit, it becomes a distraction to your defense. That is because you have two things to worry about, your firearm being taken away and the individual causing you harm. Now this causes a lot of people here to get all ruffled because no one thinks anyone can get their firearm, you know, the training and so on. The fact is that once you're face to face or in actual physical contact with someone else, that firearm is practically useless against someone who knows what they are doing. That grates the nerves of many I know but that doesn't change things. This is why though, people who carry firearms for personal defense need to have a very good level of hand to hand defense training as that is what will save your life in a contact situation, not the firearm in your holster.

Few training or skill building courses spend much time on unarmed defense and rightfully so, they are designed to train for armed defense. Take an unarmed defense course though and you'll see just how fast and efficiently someone can defeat the person who has a firearm in their holster. That too probably gets a loud retort but that is from the uninformed and untrained.

I know, no one is ever going to get your (not personal here-generally speaking) gun. It happens more than you think.

For that reason, concealed carry has a significant advantage, if properly accomplished, that open carry.

Open carry is a statement, concealed carry is defense. Once engaged in a physical confrontation, open carry is a distraction to your being able to defend yourself. We'd all like to think that were the situation to arise, that it is some distance away but within the effective range of our capabilities but that isn't how things work. Even with limited training, most individuals can meet the challenge of armed defense if the target is across the room. Now think about what happens when they are next to you and reaching for your firearm opens you up to attack. Against the typical undesirable you might have a chance, against someone intent on doing you harm, you will likely lose unless you have some good unarmed defense training.
I totally agree if you happen to be the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz (if you only had a brain...). Or are proven to be completely bulletproof.

However for mere mortals with a brain it's on the list of moronic things you could possibly do, up there with catching javelins, climbing electricity pylons, and issuing death threats in your own name against the POTUS.

Prove what you said, go outside, find a person who is OC, and disarm them get someone to video it on a GoPro or something and then you or your next of kin can post it back here, proving or disproving your point. Go ahead be my guest, give it a shot, if you succeed, then hand the firearm back to them, and explain, you're doing a public education program demonstrating the danger of OC. If you fail or get shot, well then you now have an object lesson in what not to do.

In extreme circumstances of live and death when all other options are not available, you might have a point. However when you've got any other option, that option is preferable.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^^ So stop blathering and show us the number of instances where an average person open carrying was disarmed and made a victim with their own gun!

Let's see it.....

Can you say strawman argument?

As for OC being a statement...what you did was called PROJECTING!

Maybe for YOU that's what it would be like.

I've OC'd and it wasn't a statement, in fact if attention was the goal then you'd be pretty disappointed by doing it because 99.9% of the population doesn't even notice when someone OC's
99.9 percent of the population isn't represented here because 99.9% don't agree with open carry or concealed carry. This forum is filled with the choir, almost everyone agrees with everyone else because very few new comers join in.

No one was talking about you nor did I make any statements that applied to everyone. If you say you open carried a gun and that it wasn't to make a statement, good for you.

In most every place except where open carry is permitted and in most places even if it is, people notice. While they might not point a finger, they notice. Please, how would you know if someone notices you are carrying a gun? (and again to avoid the so common crying game-"you" is generic)

Why do you always treat anything said as something personal and then want to attack me as an individual? Did I do that? Hardly, I make an effort to qualify my comments as not being personal but to be taken as generic. Yet you constantly see fit to them comment about things individually and me personally. Why is that and what is the fear?

If you can't accept that some people might not agree with everything you say and even go so far as to comment about it, then perhaps just ignore the comments and look the other way, it isn't hurting you or anyone else. Got it?

Old 03-04-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Snip
Prove what you said, go outside, find a person who is OC, and disarm them get someone to video it on a GoPro or something and then you or your next of kin can post it back here, proving or disproving your point. Go ahead be my guest, give it a shot, if you succeed, then hand the firearm back to them, and explain, you're doing a public education program demonstrating the danger of OC. If you fail or get shot, well then you now have an object lesson in what not to do.SNIP.
Amazing. I wish more people would read your comment and request.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,490,296 times
Quote:
99.9 percent of the population isn't represented here because 99.9% don't agree with open carry or concealed carry. This forum is filled with the choir, almost everyone agrees with everyone else because very few new comers join in.
WOW! You couldn't have missed the point of what I said further if you tried!

Quote:
Now, tell me what that statement has to do with the amount of people that OC?...or agree?

My statement was that you'd be disappointed by OC'ing if your intent was attention as 99.9% of the population [read:PUBLIC] won't even notice that you're OC'ing.

I've walked around OC'ing and I can tell you that most people don't even notice.

FWIW I'd like to see you back up your statement that 99% of the population doesn't agree with open or concealed carry! If that were the truth then why have both made geometric leaps in popularity and legality? How have laws been opened up to allow both if no one wants them?

I think your views and opinions are very myopic and you are so full of yourself that you think most of the population agrees with YOU... You confuse your own opinions for fact...very incorrect indeed...get over yourself.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,149,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Thank you for saving me the effort of replying to that post.

It wasn't stated, suggested or implied by my post that it's impossible to disarm someone. I don't know where Mack got that idea. The point, which was quite clear, was that it just doesn't happen. Not in any meaningful numbers, anyway.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:13 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,220,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I am an NRA life member and 100% pro gun rights, but I am not sold on the idea of open carry. If you're in rural bear country, or cougar country, ok fine, pack a .454 Casull on your hip. But in an urban setting, to openly carry seems to me to be an exercise in self-indulgence. In the rare event that the SHTF, you are going to be the first one targeted. You should have been carrying concealed. In the event that it doesn't you are just going to scare the living daylights out of libs and give them ammo in their quest to quash gun rights.

Here is a letter to the editor in my local paper complaining about an open carry siting in a library.

Gun laws in Washington | Northwest Voices | Seattle Times

I used to live in Wisconsin. before they passed their CCW bill into law, I carried a pistol in open carry every day I could. I never got robbed by any hoodlum or felon at all, as they knew what I was carrying.
I was stopped by the cops a few times, and let go just about every time.

the only time I was not released right away was when I was carrying in Hudson and the cops there did not know that Wisconsin has an open carry law on the books.

heck, nobody said anything at all when a group of us showed up with open carry for an obama statement/speech.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 PM

501 posts, read 1,051,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
This brings up the situation I wanted to ask you folks. I am a 62 year old somewhat disabled women. I don't have or carry a gun currently where I am in MA. However in a couple years I willl be moving to WV and I will be out and about on my scooter. I do plan to carry a gun, [after taking classes etc].

The question is whether to open carry or Concealed carry. If I open carry I think that makes me more of a target, since thugs, [for lack of a better word] would see the gun and figure easy chance to get a gun, let alone rob me or whatever.
However if I concealed carry, and I am threatened they are not going to expect me to pull out a gun.

If it were your grandmother, which would you advise open carry or concealed. and please not you should not have a gun, that is not an option.
Concealed carry for sure. You can even get a nice holster and carry it in your purse so its close at all times. I agree that they might see you as an easy way to get a gun if you open carried, however, thieves and robbers would probably not even see you as a valued target even if you were concealed carrying (no offense at all, but a lady on a scooter would not be expected to be carrying anything of significant financial value). You never want to give away your tactical advantage, or ace in the whole. This is going to sound so unmanly, but I wish I had a purse that I could carry in, just think of all the room for my 1911! In all seriousness, I think CC is the best thing for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting