Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:10 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Lots of information in this thread for you. I'll throw in my .02 as well.

A few people suggested the Ruger LCR. I have that gun in .38, and it's a nice, lightweight carry gun. The .22 version would probably be a good choice.

Someone else mentioned the Beretta Bobcat. I have the Tomcat, which is the .32 version, and I carry that once in a while, but there are other guns I usually go to first.

If you're dead set on .22, the LCR is probably your best bet, IMO. But like a lot of others, I would recommend using a larger round, and I certainly wouldn't carry something that used a rimfire round. I've had far too many .22 rounds that didn't ignite for me to trust my life to that technology.

Think about a .380 if you're willing to consider something other than .22. There are about a million options for carry guns in that caliber - it's a very popular round right now. Glock is going to be introducing their first civilian .380 at the SHOT show this month. With a smaller form factor than their other pistols, it's made for concealed carry.

Imagine getting a hangfire in a revolver in a defense situation. Cylinder turns, next round goes off, then the hangfire goes off in the wheel against the frame of the gun.

Have had a hangfire and a couple that needed a double strike to go off. Would not bet my life on the worst ammunition you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Imagine getting a hangfire in a revolver in a defense situation. Cylinder turns, next round goes off, then the hangfire goes off in the wheel against the frame of the gun.

Have had a hangfire and a couple that needed a double strike to go off. Would not bet my life on the worst ammunition you can get.
Hangfire in a revolver would suck. At least in a semi-auto you can tap-rack.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 PM

445 posts, read 1,605,014 times
With the Sig P250 which is a DAO (double action only) you can squeeze it again... In this gun you get a second chance to fire the same round without trying Tap Rack Bang.. I have had three rounds FTFire and the second squeeze did the trick... May save your bacon someday..

Old 01-25-2014, 02:05 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
I would rather have a .22 than nothing... I figure it will slow them down enough that I can out run them... and get to something that will stop them if still needed.. Accuracy is not going to be the biggest issue.. I do not believe that you will always have time to AIM...
Full disclosure, I'm in favor of avoiding a lethal confrontation in any way possible. But in the rare case it's not possible... if my life is threatened...

Great thing about a small gun like a Sidewinder up close and personal is that if need be you can get off a quick shot or two before the threat even knows you have a gun in your hand, and if you've practiced well it's like pointing your finger.

Shot #1 with a .22 Magnum to the lower abdomen/groin... you might break their pelvis, which will take them down, or at least double them over from the gut punch, then...

Shot #2 I'd go for the eye socket on the same side as my gun hand.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Full disclosure, I'm in favor of avoiding a lethal confrontation in any way possible. But in the rare case it's not possible... if my life is threatened...

Great thing about a small gun like a Sidewinder up close and personal is that if need be you can get off a quick shot or two before the threat even knows you have a gun in your hand, and if you've practiced well it's like pointing your finger.

Shot #1 with a .22 Magnum to the lower abdomen/groin... you might break their pelvis, which will take them down, or at least double them over from the gut punch, then...

Shot #2 I'd go for the eye socket on the same side as my gun hand.
you must have incredible marksmanship skills under pressure.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:47 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
you must have incredible marksmanship skills under pressure.
Now that's funny!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting