Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you go to gun shows
Not any more, I used to but I stopped no deals 17 19.54%
I do once in a while, I don't buy but its nice to look. 21 24.14%
Yes I go not because of deals but to see a large inventory of guns 23 26.44%
Yes, I think there are great deals that can not be had anywhere but a local gun show 26 29.89%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,856 times

Advertisements

I belong to the shooting club which sponsors the gun shows in our town, so naturally I go. I go mostly to see what kind of prices people are putting on their firearms and to possibly find a rare under priced article I may be interested in. I used to always buy a table and bring my own display, but I stopped doing that because in our state we are required by law to do a background check on anyone who wants to buy a firearm and that costs money and takes time. If I sell a firearm on my own without being at a gun show, I don't have to do that, I can just sell it. I usually have an ad running in a local online business like Craigslist, listing guns for sale. I also buy and sell on two different auction sites. Gun shows are an interesting place to visit, but you have to really know guns if you expect to get a good deal. As a seller at a gun show I don't mind people asking questions about guns, I don't mind if they ask to pickup a gun and look at it, but I do mind the person whose appearance suggests they can barely afford to pay the entrance fee, and then picks up a gun and works the action to impress their friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 08:15 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Thumbs down Whats your Opinion of Gun shows?

I used to go, but stopped about 5 years back.

Pay for parking, pay to get in the door. Inside, it's lots of cheap homemade "jewelry", velvet paintings, all kinds of Nazi crap, and overpriced rusty military surplus stuff.

No thanks.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:07 PM

338 posts, read 384,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I used to go, but stopped about 5 years back.

Pay for parking, pay to get in the door. Inside, it's lots of cheap homemade "jewelry", velvet paintings, all kinds of Nazi crap, and overpriced rusty military surplus stuff.

No thanks.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:13 PM

YMMV

Old 05-15-2014, 09:15 PM

Those are just three shows I attend.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:40 PM

The gun show I attended this weekend produced three samples that a fellow board member could not locate. It also produced 4 of my new Glock G-41 .45 acps for which my thread was about. I also saw a brand new FN M4 and a whole bunch of rare and unusual things. Benchmade, HK and Microtech autos were there WELL below any LE/Military Active/ Veterans discounts as well.

This was a season ending show and the last until fall, so it was even a bit smaller than normal. Plain and simple, gun shows still rock in May 2014.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Here in the once-great state of NY, there are few options other than gun shows. I can remember dozens of gun dealers when I first got my permit in the 70s--now there are fewer than 5 thanks to onerous restrictions and harassment from the feds.

And, oh, BTW--the Brady Center has filed a suit against Gander Mountain on behalf of the family of the Webster firefighters who were killed over a year ago. A straw purchase was made there, that woman was just sentenced, and the Brady Center claims that the clerks failed to ask questions regarding the purchaser's familiarity with the gun being purchased () and what she was going to do with it ().

Gander Mountain has said that they will vigorously defend themselves, but make no mistake people--this is going to be a major expense and no one's going to convince me that the Brady Center's agenda isn't to get all gun retailers to consider it too expensive to sell firearms.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:09 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,256 times
of course I go, I just refuse to talk to anyone from f-troop, and if someone starts to ask questions, I ask them to ID themselves, especially if they ask any kind of legal questions.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:52 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,403 times
the current price of admission & parking makes gun shows not worth it anymore

it seems they charge the most they think people will pay to get in? costs more than going out to a movie and lunch and thats just so you can look at their over priced junk

the gun show is kind of like a dumping ground where people try to sell their junk and dont tell you something is wrong with it, like a guy selling a handgun with a cracked slide and trying to conceal it with a price sticker

Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,043 times
I like to go every few years to look at the stuff and mostly to look at the people. Around here, many guys wear their camoflauge to the gun show - I find that very odd but it amuses me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting