Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 10:15 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

OK, now I understand. You speak for everybody in the military. You have seen every tacit if the armed services and know exactly what is going on in every corner of the military. I understand, I didn't realize I was talking with a military expert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 11:10 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
OK, now I understand. You speak for everybody in the military. You have seen every tacit if the armed services and know exactly what is going on in every corner of the military. I understand, I didn't realize I was talking with a military expert.
lol I know right, since the MP didn't see any action, no one did apparently.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:37 PM

245 posts, read 304,480 times
ok, and where did I say that? I said in KOREA, during my stint. Try to learn to read, ok?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:55 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
To some extent I think that marksmanship is a talent rather than a skill. Some people just have steadiness and spatial ability that other people don't. If you are a "good shot", you were probably born that way.
"To some extent" only. Fundamental marksmanship can be learned. I was brought up with firearms (I "shot" my first rifle at the age of 3). In 1964 I came across folks whose first one-on-one meeting with a firearm was in Basic Training. With a little education and K.I.T.A. coaching, all developed into reasonable marksmen. Carlos Hathcock they were not (and neither was I), but they could all generally hit what they were aiming at out to about 300 yards.

Now that I'm older and have trained with better equipment, I can generally hit anything I can see out to about 800 yards. IMO, so could the folks I'm talking about.

-- Nighteyes

PS: K.I.T.A. equals "kick in the as-pirations".

Old 10-11-2014, 10:43 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
"To some extent" only. Fundamental marksmanship can be learned. I was brought up with firearms (I "shot" my first rifle at the age of 3). In 1964 I came across folks whose first one-on-one meeting with a firearm was in Basic Training. With a little education and K.I.T.A. coaching, all developed into reasonable marksmen. Carlos Hathcock they were not (and neither was I), but they could all generally hit what they were aiming at out to about 300 yards.

Now that I'm older and have trained with better equipment, I can generally hit anything I can see out to about 800 yards. IMO, so could the folks I'm talking about.

-- Nighteyes

PS: K.I.T.A. equals "kick in the as-pirations".
That's not really what I'm getting at. Everyone starts with zero experience with fireams so, obviously, everyone has to have a little education and some K.I.T.A. coaching probably doesn't hurt... But if you develop into a good marksman then I think you had the innate spatial ability and steadiness just waiting to come out. Think about it this way... Anyone can be taught how to use a pencil. Not everyone can be taught to draw a likeness. Some people innately have a set of traits, the sum of which equals high marksmanship performance. There are naturally gifted shooters and naturally hopeless shooters. Most people fall in the middle of the bell curve, but you can tell who is out on either end pretty quickly. Make sense?

Old 10-11-2014, 11:16 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
That's not really what I'm getting at. Everyone starts with zero experience with fireams so, obviously, everyone has to have a little education and some K.I.T.A. coaching probably doesn't hurt... But if you develop into a good marksman then I think you had the innate spatial ability and steadiness just waiting to come out. Think about it this way... Anyone can be taught how to use a pencil. Not everyone can be taught to draw a likeness. Some people innately have a set of traits, the sum of which equals high marksmanship performance. There are naturally gifted shooters and naturally hopeless shooters. Most people fall in the middle of the bell curve, but you can tell who is out on either end pretty quickly. Make sense?
Perfect sense. There, in lies, the problem. Some kids are taken out when they are 14, and taught to shoot. Some, are born using a firearm. My earliest memory is dragging an old single shot 22 around. I remember relentlessly hounding dad for another brick of ammo. I grew up with it.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:21 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
To Elk Hunter,

I understand, perhaps better than most, where you're coming from. My "only" was Vietnam, and that was enough. We are currently on different sides of "the issue", but that does not discount our common experience.

-- Nighteyes

Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
To some extent I think that marksmanship is a talent rather than a skill. Some people just have steadiness and spatial ability that other people don't. If you are a "good shot", you were probably born that way.

yes and no, some people are natural marksmen, but the skill of marksmanship can also be taught. it just gets better with practice. I have had to practice to keep mine, but my 14yo daughter can pick up her rifle and shoot really good with no practice at all, as she is a natural shot.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
While those who grew up shooting have an advantage going into situations where armed conflict is inevitable, its not just trigger time and weapons handling that give an advantage. IMO, the ranch and country kids have a bigger advantage in having pitted their skills against nature.

Field craft is just as big as actual shooting. Bigger, I think. Stalking a quarry for a shot, and setting that shot up. Belly crawling for hundreds of yards, watching the wind, taking in angles utilizing cover....and patience. Keeping always in mind the limitations of the weapon in hand. Uphill and downhill shots, compensating for wind , and ohhhh how many other factors, with one clean shot being the end game.

I started out with air guns and learned basic pistol from my Dad at a young age when he shot for the Navy. Learning the handgun made long gun come second nature. When Dad retired, we moved onto a ranch. I spent countless hours with my air rifle stalking into distance for elusive quarry such as Magpies. Don't laugh, they are not easy to get closer to. Lol.

After coming of age and graduating to real firearms, still, I had to utilize skill and understand the weapons limitations. Often in far less than ideal conditions. These experiences counted for a lot when the time came to face two legged opponents. Heightened awareness of my surroundings, the purpose of being where we were to begin with, and an added skill , unique to this circumstance. Knowing its for real, this time the varmints shoot back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting