Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 05:40 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Let me see if I understand correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, as I have no desire to mischaracterize your position. It appears as if you are saying that even though the majority of .22 ammo is being sold today in the neighborhood of $50/brick, that isn't the market price, due to abnormalities and distortions in the market. However, if a small amount of .22 ammo is sold for around $24/brick, on occasion, in limited locations, that is in fact the market price. Have I got it right?
I'm saying $50 a brick is the premium price paid for an item that retails (at the largest retailer in the world) for half of that.

Look- do you see this in other products or commodities? Oil? Propane? Food? No. They behave in relative terms 'at price equilibrium' . Just because you may be willing to pay a 100% mark-up doesn't mean a shopper can't get it much cheaper elsewhere.

The premium price is fueled by hoarding and greed, and those willing to pay the price, pardon the pun, bit a big bullet. A bunch of bozo's get caught up in some buying frenzy and drive the prices up on the auction and private market, yet the retail sector stays well below that mark. That's not 'price equilibrium'.

There is a guy on Gunbroker trying to offload 500,000 rounds of .22lr at .10 a round. Good luck buddy.

I just saw two auctions for 3,250 rounds go for $35-$40. Still pricey but dropping- and fast.

But hey- if you're so compelled to pay $50 a brick- go for it. After all- it must be the market price. As for me- 6 months ago I bought some Winchester T-22 target ammo for my Winchester 75 target rifles, and I didn't pay more than .06 per round, which is about normal for match ammo. My bulk ammo was cheaper. I'm also involved with the BSA and our camp in Lewistown, MT got a shipment of two pallets of .22lr for the shooting range this summer. Price? .03 p/round.

But hey- to each is own.

(say- you're not trying to offload 500,000 rounds, are you? lol)

Old 12-17-2014, 06:00 PM

10,744 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm saying $50 a brick is the premium price paid for an item that retails (at the largest retailer in the world) for half of that.
The problem with that is that while Wal-Mart lists $24 for that ammo, it is exceedingly rare to find it there. I look at the ammo case every time I shop at Wal-Mart, and I haven't seen a box of .22 ammo in stock for over two years, and my experience is not unique.

Quote:
Look- do you see this in other products or commodities? Oil? Propane? Food? No. They behave in relative terms 'at price equilibrium' . Just because you may be willing to pay a 100% mark-up doesn't mean a shopper can't get it much cheaper elsewhere.
I took a little drive around Billings today, visiting gun and pawnshops. Not specifically looking for ammo, but always checking to see if there was any .22 in stock. There is NO place in Billings that currently has .22 ammo in stock (except for some subsonic) at ANY price, but it can easily be found at online retailers.

Quote:
The premium price is fueled by hoarding and greed, and those willing to pay the price, pardon the pun, bit a big bullet. A bunch of bozo's get caught up in some buying frenzy and drive the prices up on the auction and private market, yet the retail sector stays well below that mark. That's not 'price equilibrium'.
Only a very small part of the retail sector stays well below that mark. This is one of the better listings of .22 ammo that is actually in stock. gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals You'll see the prices are much closer to $.10 than $.05. These are regular retailers, not neckbeards flipping Wal-Mart ammo.

Quote:
I just saw two auctions for 3,250 rounds go for $35-$40. Still pricey but dropping- and fast.

But hey- if you're so compelled to pay $50 a brick- go for it. After all- it must be the market price. As for me- 6 months ago I bought some Winchester T-22 target ammo for my Winchester 75 target rifles, and I didn't pay more than .06 per round, which is about normal for match ammo. My bulk ammo was cheaper. I'm also involved with the BSA and our camp in Lewistown, MT got a shipment of two pallets of .22lr for the shooting range this summer. Price? .03 p/round.
I've never disputed that some ammo is sold at lower prices, but day in, day out, a guy isn't going to be able to walk into Wal-Mart and buy a brick or two of ammo at $24 each. Might they get lucky? Sure. But it is a pretty rare occurrence.

Quote:
(say- you're not trying to offload 500,000 rounds, are you? lol)
No, I'm pretty well stocked, but I'm not selling. It's too hard to replace.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:22 PM

Bob Wards Helena has some in stock last night. Match grade or subsonic. Sportsman Warehouse in Helena has some (or had) last week. I haven't been to Wally World in a while, mainly because I hate that place.

I just placed myself on Midways notify list, which is exactly what I did to get my Winchester T-22 match ammo. I was notified- I bought. And I didn't pay a gougers price.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 PM

I'm reminded of a wise man saying before a bubble bursting- "The market is displaying irrational exuberance". It's weird that it hit .22lr, but thats the way it goes.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threerun View Post
i'm reminded of a wise man saying before a bubble bursting- "the market is displaying irrational exuberance". It's weird that it hit .22lr, but thats the way it goes.
:d

Old 12-17-2014, 11:48 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The problem with that is that while Wal-Mart lists $24 for that ammo, it is exceedingly rare to find it there..
Yeah, and do you know why? It isn't because it isn't out there, it's because it's all in some guy's basement and listed on an auction site for a higher price. It's not that WM doesn't have it, or can't get it, it's that opportunists and / or hoarders buy it up quickly to try and turn a profit on it, which is kinda my whole point here. $24 bricks are not rare, it's just rare to find them before someone else does. They exist, but they are being bought up and re-listed for that $50 price you're talking about. So, a lot of those $50 bricks, were originally sold at retail for $24, the real market value.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-18-2014 at 12:04 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 AM

100,000 rounds of Winchester .22lr .22 lr ammo 22 : Rifle Ammunition at GunBroker.com

Quote:
have 100,000 rounds of M22's they are in 1000 round bricks. 50 grain 1255 FPS round. New not recalled stuff. AZ residents must pay az sales tax. Local pick up is ok but still must pay az sales tax. If shipped out of state to out of state resident then no sales tax. May be picked up by carrier service but must provide a bill of lading. May be able to deliver for free to NV,UT,ID,MT ask me for details. I have 1/2 million rounds total that I am selling in blocks of 100,000

Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yeah, and do you know why? It isn't because it isn't out there, it's because it's all in some guy's basement and listed on an auction site for a higher price. It's not that WM doesn't have it, or can't get it, it's that opportunists and / or hoarders buy it up quickly to try and turn a profit on it, which is kinda my whole point here. $24 bricks are not rare, it's just rare to find them before someone else does. They exist, but they are being bought up and re-listed for that $50 price you're talking about. So, a lot of those $50 bricks, were originally sold at retail for $24, the real market value.
You still don't want to answer the question, do you?

Quote:
Why don't these evil ammo re-sellers sell their .22 ammo for $100/brick?

Old 12-18-2014, 12:57 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
If people would stop paying ridiculous prices for 22LR, people would stop hoarding it and trying to resell it.

I have about 1000rnd of 22LR and haven't shot my 22s in over a year. I refuse to pay gouging prices, but I also don't want to deplete my supply.

When 22LR comes back in stock, I'll probably pick up another large box or two.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:25 PM

Went to Cabella's today, and they got in a shipment of .22 ammo. CCI, in 50 round boxes. Price? $4.99. I thought it must be a mistake, as we have been told here that $.10/round is not market price, and it is charged only by the evil ammo flippers, not regular large retailers.

Plenty of ammo at $.10/round. Good luck finding it at $.05/round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting